Gear / Technical Help > Battery Boxes, Preamps, Mixers, ADCs, and Processors

Shure FP-24 or AudioRoot Femto

(1/3) > >>

waltmon:
I find myself needing and external pre after selling my mint v-2 (ugh)  Any thoughts on these (or other)  externals?

pohaku:
I really like the SD USBPre2.  SD sound, great meters and easy powering.  Great build like all SD gear. 

relefunt:
I own both. Both are rugged (probably the Shure slightly more rugged — no problem driving over the FP24, other than paying to fix my car) and low noise. The Femto is slightly smaller and weighs a little less. The Shure uses two AA batteries and it lasts longer than I would have thought — at least 5-6 hours using phantom power and turning the LEDs down as far as they can go (still blindingly bright) ... the Femto uses two 9volt batteries — I can’t give estimates about how long the two 9v last because I haven’t used it in enough situations to know.

If I could only own one, it would by the Shure. The difference is that the technicians who service the units are here in Wisconsin (because it is a Sound Devices product). If I need service on the Femto, and I hope I never do, am I going to send it to France?  I don’t think so.

Folks in Europe might have the opposite feeling.

both are excellent products and will provide quite a few years of use.

if_then_else:
I've got a Femto and a mixpre-D, too. They're similar in build quality. The Femto is easier to carry and overall the better option if you're going to record long sets / festivals as it features both a Hirose input and two internal 9V battery trays. If you're using LiIon rechargeables you might get >5h out of the 9V batteries. The mixpre-D is the better option if you need multiple outputs, limiter, channel ganging / linking. It's also a bit less sensitive than the Femto if you're recording super-loud stuff (Swans, Dinosaur Jr. etc.). It's bulkier though and you'll always have to carry some NP-1 rechargeables and cup-adapters for longer runs.

I might be selling one of these preamps at some point because I also have a mixpre-6 - but haven't decided yet which one to keep.

spyder9:
The FP-24 is a rebadged Mixpre preamp.  It has Lundahl transformers.  The Femto and Mixpre-D do not.  Mixpre-D has transformers but they are NOT Lundahls.  Total redesign.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version