Gear / Technical Help > Cables

Most compact SBD cabling kit?

(1/6) > >>

checht:
Pardon if this has been asked before, but wondering what folks think of as the most compact set of kit for SBD patches.

In my experience, I most often get XLR male cables from the engineer. Sometimes he asks me to plug in a couple 1/4" trs, and very rarely there are 2 rca outs.

My MP-3 has XLR and 3.5mm trs inputs; prefer the stability of the XLRs.

So, obviously one set of 2 x XLR - XLR. What about for the 1/4" and rca outs?

Right now I carry a bag with a ton of adapters and cables, looking to slim down.

TIA

rippleish20:
I went through the same issues. Having a Zoom F8 was annoying early in the process as I needed to worry about the recorder side also in terms of XLR or 1/4. Now I have Mixpre-6 which solved that problem.

At any rate, I initially tried Hosa adapters like XLR to 1/4 and XLR to RCA but I moved to short XLR to 1/4 stub cables. I keep these attached and simply remove them if the board has XLRs. To me they are easier to keep track of than adapters.   XLR male - XLR female (20 feet) + XLR male - 1/4 inch (1.5 feet)

For RCAs, I have a dual RCA to 1/8 cable and I used channels 5/6 on my Mixpre-6. I've gone to a lot of venues and it's fairly rare to end up with RCAs. BeOnKeys is the place I am most likely to go which is RCA only..

I've encountered FOH twice now who want to give me a USB recording so I carry a USB key but I was able in both cases rto convince them to give me a live patch. And once I encountered a guy who wanted to give me headset out (14 stereo) so I carry a 1/4 strereo to 1/8 inch stereo also. I was able to convince him to give me a XLR feed in the end also

I also often bring in a patch bay, especially if I suspect other tapers will be at a show. to share board feeds.

checht:

--- Quote from: rippleish20 on August 05, 2018, 09:05:35 PM ---[cut]
I've encountered FOH twice now who want to give me a USB recording so I carry a USB key

--- End quote ---

^ Thanks for all the info.

At the Sisters, OR Rhythym and Brews fest this weekend, the Yamaha board would only write mp3's to USB, so that was useless. Just went with XLR's, simple and reliable.

~Chris

achalsey:
Not probably ideal, but most compact might be:

Cable: XLR (m) (recorder side) > RCA (m) (SBD side)

Adapters: RCA (f) > 1/4" (m); RCA (f) > XLR (f).

RCA > other component adapters seemed to be the easiest to find for me, so that's why I made the base cable terminated in RCA.  Obviously unbalanced so, like I said, not the ideal cable, but I've never had an issue.

I run a similar set up.  It covers all the bases and is a pretty small footprint.  These days I hardly ever find RCA outs, and almost never have run 1/4", so it's become fairly obsolete for me personally, but in the past in a town with all different boards at small bars it came in handy.

I almost always have at least one extra pair of just regular XLR cables, so if the board is XLR out I just use a dedicated pair of XLR cables.

jbell:
I have a set of 1/4 > female XLR for my Mixpre-6, which covers me for most situations.  I like the 1/4 right angle connectors on the mixpre side since the are easy to position in the bag.  I also grabbed a set of 1/8 > dual female XLR and 1/8 > dual male XLR for the 1/8 input and output on the Mixpre-6.  Here is a link to the Audio2000 cables I mostly use for SBD.  They come in different lengths if you search ebay. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio2000s-C20006P2-6-Ft-1-4-TRS-Right-Angle-to-XLR-Female-Cable-2-Pack/221332080216?epid=1053455210&hash=item33886b8658%3Ag%3AWIsAAOxy3zNSolbA&_sacat=0&_nkw=Audio2000+right+angle+1%2F4+trs+to+female+xlr&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=0

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version