Gear / Technical Help > Ask The Tapers

Recorder damage symptoms

(1/3) > >>

Nelle B:
Unfortunately, on Friday night I accidentally dropped my Edirol R-09. It was a fall on a hard faced floor. Apart from a little scratch on the side, there are no exterior marks and the recorder seems to operate as it did before.

However, I have noticed since then that my recorder is picking up much more unwanted noise in my recordings from recitals and voice lessons (background crinkling, clicks, small sounds like that) that it seemingly did not before – at least not to my memory. The recordings also just sound... different. Like the mix between the two channels isn't as smooth.

Are any of these things I mentioned possible symptoms of damage to my recorder from the fall, or am I just being paranoid? Could these changes just be due to factors like different acoustics?

relefunt:
This might sound strange, but do you think those sounds are really there in the environment and the recorder seems to be picking them more than before, or are they seemingly alien sounds of the kind you have never heard before?

I have heard a lot of tales of people dropping R-09's and Sony M10's repeatedly on the floor without much damage, but it's sort of like dropping an iPhone -- each drop is unique and one drop might shatter the glass screen and another might show no obvious damage.

Keep using it and good luck!

Nelle B:
If any, what are the most common signs of damage to a recorder after a drop? (My recorder does not wear a case, so this was without any protection).

relefunt:

--- Quote from: Nelle B on September 16, 2018, 11:07:04 PM ---If any, what are the most common signs of damage to a recorder after a drop? (My recorder does not wear a case, so this was without any protection).

--- End quote ---

I'm sure others can chip in here, but i would say common defects would be physical buttons/sliders not working properly, problems with the SD card being read without errors, distortion from direct microphone damage, and crackling noises and intermittent signal loss from connections becoming loose. Plus a keen desire to buy a fancy new Roland R-07.   ::)

Nelle B:
What would count as "direct microphone damage?"

After a few listens, I do hear occasional clicking sounds in the recording, which I am quite sure weren't in the actual event. It sounds like when you click on something with a mouse on a computer.

Sorry if I am being repetitive, but do you think that if there aren't any physical or obvious changes to the recorder's functions (like not turning on, not recording, etc) that the changes I hear could be circumstantial, and I'm overthinking it?

Thanks for all the input. Sorry if I am being repetitive.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version