Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: sound stage editing  (Read 4493 times)

Offline porphyry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Grimshaw- the World's First Bootlegger
sound stage editing
« on: August 16, 2003, 11:53:15 AM »
does anyone know anything about how you can engineer your own 'spacing' of the various sounds on a recording using pc software?

not sure what i mean?  ???

explanation: when you listen to a professionally produced recording, different sounds appear to come from different locations; eg. the vocals come from the centre, guitars are spaced further out etc. and every different sound appears to come from a slightly different location.

is it possible to do this to a concert recorded live with only two microphones? obviously it wouldn't be as good as something done professionally but, since different instruments occupy different frequency bands (with overlap of course) then why shouldn't we be able to separate them into different 'virtual locations'?

it wouldn't be very hard, for example, to isolate the vocals, by frequency, and shift them to the centre of the sound image (of course you could do this by splitting it up into multi tracks, mixing the left and right vocals into a 'close' track and then overlaying them onto the rest of the music, but it'd make sense to do this using a specific function.)

my theory is that if you could assign different frequency ranges to different spacial locations, not sharply but with some overlap, then you could achieve something closer to the quality of professional recordings.

does anyone understand what i'm on about?  ???

does anyone know of consumer (or easy-to-get) software that will do this?

thanks in advance  ;)

Offline jjjewett

• Taperssection Regular
  • brown trout
    • my website
Re:sound stage editing
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2003, 02:27:05 PM »
All professional studio releases and most live releases come from a soundboard.  There they have 24-tracks (at least) so they can pan (move the sound to the left right or center) the tracks to different places on the x axis in order to create a stereo image.  

When you are recording with two microphones, you only have two tracks that are recording a space, not instruments directly, so you really cant mess with it unless it is when you are recording.

hope this helps

john jewett

Offline porphyry

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2003, 11:30:57 AM »
yes, but what if i split the sound up into, say, different frequency ranges, each roughly representing a certain sound like vocals, drums, guitars etc (obviously they can't all be separated because they overlap but you get the idea) then make them all separate tracks, and then adjust their position on the x axis?

is there any software that lets you adjust the x axis?

thanks for your input but!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2003, 11:31:55 AM by porphyry »

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2003, 12:27:16 PM »
i think your idea would work...you'd probably just want to use a panning feature in any recording software to adjust the tracks spatially...as for splitting it according to frequency, some software such as wavelab has effects that will allow you to single out a particular band in the frequency, you could then filter that out and save that to a new track, do that for each freq band you want to isolate, then pan them to where you want them and mix down...let us know how it turns out!
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline porphyry

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2003, 04:24:42 PM »
yes after discovering the pan feature in cool edit pro (which also does customised frequency band splitting for multitrack) i got all excited and started drawing up lots of plans.

unfortunately i'm about to go travelling for three months and won't be back home in australia til late december, so you'll be waiting a fair while to hear my results...

...but i will post them. eventually.  ;)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2003, 04:56:57 PM »
i know wavelab has a plugin somewhere where you can screw w/ stereo angle.... 8)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com