Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Core Sound PDAudio-CF  (Read 7194 times)

Online Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • LMA
Re:Core Sound PDAudio-CF
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2003, 09:24:07 AM »
Pocco is trying to implement automatic seamless file breaks in a future release of Wichita.  They also said a few more weeks until they expect to support 24bit recording.

Just got Live2496 up and running.  First impressions: just as easy to use as Wichita (GUI looks like a tape recorder with large "buttons"), better metering (has 0 to -80 markings), so far I don't see any way to create "shortcut buttons" with the iPaq buttons and 4-way pad.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Tascam DR-70D / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2003, 11:10:28 AM »
I will believe it when I see a working model.

you said it
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2003, 11:19:10 AM »
This is SO not a simple process... I hope it works and gets streamlined.

Online Craig T

• LMA
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2003, 11:27:39 AM »
More Live2496 info:

Current release of Live2496 does not have working meters, and you have to change recording file destination in a text file before starting the program.  Future releases will add more GUI menus to eliminate the need to edit the text file.

Gidluck mentioned he would like to implement an auto-splitting feature, but does not think its possible due to the PDA hardware limitations (something about creating a "logjam" in the PDA bus).  Live2496 will write wav files >2GB, but some sort of recovery application would have to be used so they can be read into editing or playback software.  I'm not sure how this works, but I'll give it a try...

Online Craig T

• LMA
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2003, 09:15:50 AM »
First 2 recordings at 16/44.1 were successful.  Got DMB 9/5 and Gongzilla 9/7.  I used Pocco's Wichita for both recordings since I had a few problems with my Live2496 tests.  I just received a new version of Live2496, so hopefully the problems are fixed.  The level meters on the current version of Wichita are almost useless - as the recording gets longer the refresh rate slows way down to about 5-7 seconds.  Same with the elapsed time counter - at an hour it was counting by 5 second intervals.  Doesn't affect the recording, just the display while recording.

Online Craig T

• LMA
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2003, 01:07:43 PM »
First 2 recordings at 16/44.1 were successful.  Got DMB 9/5 and Gongzilla 9/7

Well, not quite.  I found a 'skip' about 20 minutes into the DMB show - sounds like the recording stopped for a fraction of a second and then started up again.

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2003, 09:40:57 PM »
a few questions for you, because I'm interesting in this for 24/96...

have you used Len's PDAudio Recorder (Linux) software.  The site says that this comes with the PDAudio-CF card along with all the drivers necessary.  The site also states:

"Core Sound's PDAudio Recorder (Linux) provides detailed signal level metering, and elapsed time and storage media capacity monitoring. It preserves the audio data file in the case of lost power and it records audio files larger than 2 GB."

How does it take care of the 2gig problem?  Does it seamlessly start a new track?  if not, how does Len deal with it?  The "preserves the audio data file" part seems like a great idea too.  In case the battery dies, at least the whole file is not lost.  Do the other software packages do this as well.

and you mention a skip in one of your recordings about 20 minutes in.  Was that the only one that you've noticed so far?  Did you also run DAT?  Have you done any bit-accuracy tests on the files?

I'm sure some of those questions would be good to ask Len as well, but I'd like to hear your opinion on things as well.

Thanks,
Jason

Online Craig T

• LMA
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2003, 11:08:30 AM »
Update 9/19

Gidluck's Live2496 seems solid at 16/44.1 & 48, level meters have also been added for 16bit.  I'm getting dropped samples in 24/48 resulting in what appears to be white noise.  I've been informed I may not be able to do 24bit recording with the iPaq 3835 by Gidluck, but this conflicts with what I was orginally told by Len at Core Sound when I was shopping for iPaqs.  I'm going to try some performance tweaks to solve the dropped sample problem.

Pocco's Wichita has been working well in 16/44.1 with the PDAudio-CF although I haven't received any software updates since my last report.  I still haven't been able to recreate the dropped sample that I got during one recording.  I tried recording a lecture from the built-in microphone of the iPaq and got a poor quality recording, sounding kind of like dropped samples, with regularly spaced dropouts in the sound (I had the auto-gain feature turned off and mic gain set to +0).

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2003, 11:10:50 AM »
 ::)

cpclark

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2003, 06:22:23 PM »
i hope the bugs get worked out, im liking this more and more everyday

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com