Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Outdoor Windscreens for AKG 460'S  (Read 9520 times)

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • always give more than you take
Re: Outdoor Windscreens for AKG 460'S
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2007, 01:06:30 PM »
tapers have mentioned here in the past that the DPA windscreens do not eliminate all wind noise; I use the large Shure windscreens for my 480s, which will fit your 460s, and have never had any wind noise issues when using them outdoors

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2007, 01:09:25 PM »
ive got a recent John Butler trio recording from outside where i didn't come prepared with my big DPAs and had to run the shures - you can hear lots of wind gust on them even caused clipping at one point, i'll post the link as soon as i get it up on LMA
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2007, 01:43:22 PM »
ive got a recent John Butler trio recording from outside where i didn't come prepared with my big DPAs and had to run the shures - you can hear lots of wind gust on them even caused clipping at one point, i'll post the link as soon as i get it up on LMA

Ah, then you'd've been doomed with your DPAs!  :P
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline oleg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a proud Jew
    • you can find me here
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2007, 01:56:17 PM »
we are developing short zeppelins e with suspensions   31 and 22 cm length  in reasonable price (420us for pair 225 for 1 ) with furs
stay tuned
oleg kaizerman(gebe)hollyland
kaizeroaudio-rentals -sound for film/tv sales

schoepses, gefells, sankens, sennheisers....all kind of shit ....ends with deva 16  fusion ,zfr,788, 744, hhb
http://groups.google.com/group/sellbuyexchange-film-videoaudiogear

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2007, 05:01:01 PM »
I need the best OUTDOOR Windscrrens for AKG 460'S...

Go to the Rycote website and select AKG and the 460 with the head you have and it will come up with all the Rycote windshield options.

Take care, though, as AKG capsules do tend to get a bit crackly in the damp.

Offline tonyvt

• Taperssection Member
  • Bocephus
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2007, 03:26:51 PM »
I ran a pair of 460's for several years in the early to mid 90's and found that the Lightwave Windscreens were the best.
http://www.lightwavesystems.com/

I found that these Lightwave screens did a superior job of cutting out the wind when compared to the large foam Shure screens. Another good choice would be a pair of Rycote Windscreens. After I sold my 460's I used these Lightwaves with my Schoeps and now use them with my MBHO's and they still look like they are brand new.

460's are great microphones and I wish I never sold my pair.
I'm a Bluegrasshole.

Offline FLDEADHEAD

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Hey Now.!.
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2007, 05:25:37 PM »
Mikey wrote:
"you can hear lots of wind gust on them even caused clipping at one point"

Thats what is happening when I use the Neumann ws 100 outdoor softball size w/ my 460's...
Weird how they worked great for my KM 184'S...Never a noise or clipping...

DPA 4022's > Lunatec V3  > Edirol R-44

I like it DFC-FOB ;-)!~
This Send Space is a Nice File Sharing Network.!!

Offline FLDEADHEAD

• Taperssection Member
  • Hey Now.!.
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2007, 05:26:47 PM »
I ran a pair of 460's for several years in the early to mid 90's and found that the Lightwave Windscreens were the best.

I found that these Lightwave screens did a superior job of cutting out the wind when compared to the large foam Shure screens. Another good choice would be a pair of Rycote Windscreens. After I sold my 460's I used these Lightwaves with my Schoeps and now use them with my MBHO's and they still look like they are brand new.

Thanks for the tip, I followed the link but which model numbers?

I like it DFC-FOB ;-)!~

Offline FLDEADHEAD

• Taperssection Member
  • Hey Now.!.
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2007, 05:39:20 PM »
Lotsa great advice here in this thread, Thanks....
I do not know what a DEAD RAT is unless you are referring to the low life people at the end of the GD Days...lol

I agree with Chuck  and have both 61 and 63 caps... At langerado I ran the 63's from the sbd area and swayed sound no noise or clipping...
At Wannee day 2  all kinda wind gust noise and clipping running the 61's FOB?

Sucks to spend a day taping and get nada one good pull due to wind...

Again was never a issue with my neumanns....

Think I am leaning to the Shures.... Attenuating the high end I am told is not a bad thing running  JW MODS>V3
The experts here claim this combo has too much high end?
JW disagrees and I am still not sure since I have only had this set up since end of December,...
In doors No problemo
Outdoors no wind all is good....

Two outdoor windy festi's and I am pissed....

Thanks for the Venting space:-)~

I like it DFC-FOB ;-)!~

Offline tonyvt

• Taperssection Member
  • Bocephus
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2007, 05:41:45 PM »

Thanks for the tip, I followed the link but which model numbers?

I have the Miniscreens. http://www.lightwavesystems.com/products/miniscreen/default.asp

These screens are a bit pricey but well worth the investment and they will last you a lifetime. I have never been able to understand that so many tapers have thousands of dollars invested in their killer rig and then rely on a set of foam windscreens that can't handle the conditions. When I was starting off, I experimented with all types of foam screens and found that eventually any of them would allow wind to pass through. I finally got frustrated coming home from outdoor shows with ruined tapes. I have never had a problem with the Lightwaves even in gale force winds.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 05:50:55 PM by tonyvt »
I'm a Bluegrasshole.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2007, 07:28:53 PM »
I have never been able to understand that so many tapers have thousands of dollars invested in their killer rig and then rely on a set of foam windscreens that can't handle the conditions.

I can only speak for myself, but I use the Shure's because <1> I only occasionally record outdoors, and <2> I've yet to experience conditions in which they don't get the job done.

That said, I may opt for a better w/s setup for peace of mind if I can only figure out what fits my Schoeps actives.  The Rycote and Lightwave websites aren't very helpful in figuring out what fits the Schoeps actives.  (I should probably just pick up the phone!)  But I'll ask, anyway...Tony:  Do you know if the Miniscreens (or some other Lightwave option) work with Schoeps active setups, like (as I finally found out) the Rycote Baby Ball Gag?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline tonyvt

• Taperssection Member
  • Bocephus
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2007, 11:57:52 AM »
But I'll ask, anyway...Tony:  Do you know if the Miniscreens (or some other Lightwave option) work with Schoeps active setups, like (as I finally found out) the Rycote Baby Ball Gag?

Hi Brian,

Unfortunately the Ligthwave Miniscreens are not compatible with a Schoeps active setup and I am uncertain about the Baby Ball Gag. I bet those Ball Gags would work great with any of full size condensor microphone. The key to any of these basket style windscreens is that they create an airspace inside the windscreen that the wind outside has a very difficult time displacing.

When I purchased my CCM 41's from Germany I also purchased one of the Rycote Stereo Windshields that is wider than the standard Rycote Zeppelin Windshield. I believe that they had it listed as a Schoeps part however it was definitely made by Rycote. I rigged together a small t-bar with the Schoeps active clips inside the Rycote Stereo Windshield and it worked out great. I never picked up any wind on any of my recordings. You may have seen with this rig at Greyfox, Merlefest or possibly another outdoor show.

Tony
I'm a Bluegrasshole.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com