Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recommendations for first taping with Edirol R-09  (Read 3199 times)

Offline tmgtim

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • The Mystery Guest
Recommendations for first taping with Edirol R-09
« on: November 12, 2007, 02:08:42 AM »
Hi,
So this Saturday with be my first concert taping with my newly acquired edirol R-09. Since I'm too paranoid to bring it out mid show to check the levels I'm hoping to get some opinions on the input level I should use. I realise it's dependent on a million factors so will hold no one responsible for their opinions! Just looking for some ideas.
I'm using the R-09 with SP-CMC-2 microphones from sound professionals through a SP-SPSB-8 9v battery power supply into the line-in of the r-09
The concert is Muse so loud and probably a pretty excited crowd too. The venue is the Sydney Entertainment Centre which seats 12,000 people and I'm centre stage but in the seats waaaay up the back (still kicking myself for forgetting the sale date)

Like I said - thoughts and ideas very much welcomed and by no means taken as gospel...

Thanks,
Tim

Offline ~sin213~

• Taperssection Regular
  • Kaizoku!
Re: Recommendations for first taping with Edirol R-09
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 02:15:26 AM »
There's really no way to tell - you will have to adjust it right when the show starts, then put it away.  If you're in seats, it shouldn't be too hard to take a quick look at it.  Most folks will think its your cell phone.

The one piece of advice, learning from my first tape with my R09 tonight, is know where your buttons are at...I forgot which side the input level buttons were on and found myself fumbling with it in the dark trying to get the levels down.  If you can adjust and place on hold when all set with minimal glances at the screen to check the levels, you'll be golden!

Good luck!
#1 - MM-HLSC-1 > MM-MBM > R09
#2 - AT853 > CA9100 3wire Preamp/BattBox > R09

Coachella 06, 07, 08
Lollapalooza 95, 96, 97, 03, 08

Upcoming Shows
9/3 - Ice Cube | 9/8 - The Toadies | 9/22 - Beck |9/23 - My Morning Jacket | 9/27 - Edgefest (Gogol!) | 10/11 - The Bakerton Group | 10/14 - The Roots | 11/28 - Dir en Grey | 11/29 - Soulfly & Cavelera Conspiracy | 12/13 - NIN (Vegas)

Drive Out The Bush Regime!
For more info on how you can get involved, plz visit:
http://www.worldcantwait.net

Offline JD

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 02:24:42 AM »
I order to dull the brightness of the display on my R09; I taped a few pieces of colored cellophane type material over the display. I believe I used two pieces of red and two pieces of purple.

With the R09 set at the lowest brightness setting and the cellophane on there you can see the levels well, with out anyone noticing.

Mics: DPA 4022, 4060; Nevaton MC51, MCE400; Gefell sms2000, m20, m21, m27
Pres: DPA MMA6000; Grace V2; Portico 5012; Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Edirol R09hr, Sound Devices 722

Offline tmgtim

• Taperssection Newbie
    • The Mystery Guest
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 02:32:45 AM »
I order to dull the brightness of the display on my R09; I taped a few pieces of colored cellophane type material over the display. I believe I used two pieces of red and two pieces of purple.

With the R09 set at the lowest brightness setting and the cellophane on there you can see the levels well, with out anyone noticing.

That's a nice idea - I might play around with that - thanks

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 03:48:48 AM »
start with level 15-17, should be ok for your mics and loud shows.
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline 3-Fan

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 07:15:04 AM »
I ran SP CMC-2>SP-SPSB8>R-09 for one show.  It was outdoors and Nickel Creek and Fiona Apple (amplified acoustic) and maybe 40' from the stage.  I had the R-09 at 30 and the BB cranked all the way and still had to boost 16db post.  I know loud rock and indoors is a whole different situation.  As mentioned, you should be able to adjust levels really easily on the R-09 during taping.  Or  adjust the BB very easily too during taping.  You will want to peak around -6 on the R-09.

Good luck and have fun. 
AT853 > Church 9100 3 wire w/ mini XLR and switchable 4.7K mod > Edirol R-09HR

Offline bugg100

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 08:09:13 AM »
The best thing you could do is to get out in the open with your gear and test  in a real world setting with a real PA system.  Got clubs near you?  It may be time to start talking to bands somewhat similar to whom you want to tape low profile. 

Just let them know that you want to tape for personal use only and that you would get them copies, you will find some who will at least tolerate you.....

Joe

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 10:57:43 AM »
I like the advice of testing things out beforehand if you can...try and find a club/local show on Friday if you are free to test things out so that on Saturday you'll run your rig with more confidence.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline tmgtim

• Taperssection Newbie
    • The Mystery Guest
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 04:14:01 PM »
Yeah, I agree - I'd like to test it in a small band venue first as well - trouble is I have the perfect opportunity to do this the weekend after the concert... Before that I don't really have an opportunity so that's why I was asking for recommendations. Anyway, thanks for your responses - some nice ideas here

Offline bedoc

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2007, 07:22:48 PM »
just got an edirol yesterday, and even with the french documentation, I don't find what are the best settings for a line in recording :
I will use my edirol with SP-CMC-4 & SP-SPSB-1 battery box

Can somebody confirm these are good :

AGC : off
Low cut : off
Mic gain : low
Rec monitor Sw : off
Plug-in Power : off

thanks  ;)

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2007, 07:32:25 PM »
just got an edirol yesterday, and even with the french documentation, I don't find what are the best settings for a line in recording :
I will use my edirol with SP-CMC-4 & SP-SPSB-1 battery box

Can somebody confirm these are good :

AGC : off
Low cut : off
Mic gain : low
Rec monitor Sw : off
Plug-in Power : off

thanks  ;)

MIC input sensitivity/mic power means nothing when using LINE input, so suggest LINE input only with REC adjustment starting at ~#15 for being in the ballpark for expected preamplifier output level.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline bedoc

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2007, 10:47:32 AM »
ok thanks for the advive  :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com