Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Favorite VST/AU Plugins?  (Read 13781 times)

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Favorite VST/AU Plugins?
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2017, 12:41:07 PM »
Checkin in...

I like the waves stuff; I like the c6 the best/compression for eq'g...
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2017, 07:33:29 PM »
I am a big fan of iZotope's work.  I love the EQ and maximizer wrapped into the Ozone package.  I often will start with one of their presets and then tweak it and save it to my archive file.

When I am doing restoration work I cannot speak highly enough of, and really, really love, RX 5 Connect.  The ability to tie my editor straight into RX 5 Advanced and back so seamlessly is worth the price of admission, and that is a lot.

@johnw, I am unsure what you do not find intuitive with MSED.  It is such a simple tool I am unsure what I would do without it.  I run a MS pair every opportunity I get.  I love the flexibility in post.  I have the ability to run Double MS now but am not sure that I want to take the gamble with how precise placement should be.
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2017, 08:41:38 PM »
Not sure. I've only done MS once. I tried messing withe MSED and it sounds like the band was behind me. Maybe if I kept playing with it, i'd figure it out
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2017, 06:46:07 PM »
I am a big fan of iZotope's work.  I love the EQ and maximizer wrapped into the Ozone package.  I often will start with one of their presets and then tweak it and save it to my archive file.

When I am doing restoration work I cannot speak highly enough of, and really, really love, RX 5 Connect.  The ability to tie my editor straight into RX 5 Advanced and back so seamlessly is worth the price of admission, and that is a lot.

@johnw, I am unsure what you do not find intuitive with MSED.  It is such a simple tool I am unsure what I would do without it.  I run a MS pair every opportunity I get.  I love the flexibility in post.  I have the ability to run Double MS now but am not sure that I want to take the gamble with how precise placement should be.

FYI, Ozone 7 has removed the Reverb module.  This is unfortunate, as I thought it was very good and would use it along with other modules when recording MIDI tracks with virtual instruments.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline if_then_else

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2017, 12:40:31 AM »
Windows (VST):

DAW: Samplitude
EQ: Fabfilter Pro Q2
Compressor (analytical): LVC Pressed-MAX
Compressor (coloured): Klanghelm MJUC
Limiter: LVC Limited-MAX
Saturation / distortion: Klanghelm SDRR
Hall / reverb: Valhalla DSP Vintage Verb
Stereo widening: StereoSavage
Noise reduction: Izotope RX6 Standard

Linux (LV2):

DAW: Ardour
Calf plugin suite
Invada plugin suite

Offline Ronmac

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2017, 06:36:32 AM »
FYI, Ozone 7 has removed the Reverb module.  This is unfortunate, as I thought it was very good and would use it along with other modules when recording MIDI tracks with virtual instruments.

Ozone will allow you to use any external vst in any empty slot, so it's easy to regain that same workflow by adding one of your other reverb plugs.

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Trade Count: (1)
    • Southern Shelter
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2017, 10:05:20 AM »
If you own one FabFilter product you can get others at up to 50% off; login to your account at their site to see your sale prices. I ended up buying Pro-MB multiband compressor and Saturn (dist/saturation plug). Can't recommend Pro-MB enough. Earlier in the thread I was using the free ReaXComp, but FabFilter's interfaces are excellent, and the visual feedback helps you understand what you're controlling.

Offline voltronic

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2017, 10:58:56 AM »

Ozone will allow you to use any external vst in any empty slot, so it's easy to regain that same workflow by adding one of your other reverb plugs.

Well that's good to know.  It's just a shame that they removed the (to my ears) very good algorithmic reverb that used to be included with Ozone.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2017, 10:06:55 AM »
Windows (VST):
Just took a look at this. I'm curious if you're just using the Width knob or if Rotation is of any use? I haven't tried this one but the Waves Imager has a rotation parameter, while most spreaders I've seen are just a single knob, so am wondering about this.

Offline if_then_else

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2017, 11:01:22 AM »
Windows (VST):
Just took a look at this. I'm curious if you're just using the Width knob or if Rotation is of any use? I haven't tried this one but the Waves Imager has a rotation parameter, while most spreaders I've seen are just a single knob, so am wondering about this.

"Rotation" only affects the central processing of the signal but doesn't touch the side processing. It really depends on the source material, if this useful or not. (I'm playing with a SBD mono feed from last night and Stereo Savage as we speak...)

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2017, 11:25:14 AM »
Windows (VST):

"Rotation" only affects the central processing of the signal but doesn't touch the side processing. It really depends on the source material, if this useful or not. (I'm playing with a SBD mono feed from last night and Stereo Savage as we speak...)

Gotcha, thanks. I should probably demo and mess around with it.

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2017, 11:54:09 AM »
Ozone Imager is now available separately for free https://www.izotope.com/en/products/master-and-deliver/ozone-imager.html

Offline voltronic

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2017, 12:20:45 PM »
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2017, 01:02:04 PM »
I found a new use for an old favorite, FabFilter Pro-Q 2. So lately I've been recording very close to the stage at my local club, and found that on headphones you can localize the bass cabinet as being off-center (which of course it is, as the drums are in the middle of the stage). It's not noticeable on speakers but kind of annoying on headphones.

I split my stereo room mics file to two mono tracks. I sent the left one (bass cab was on the far right) to the sidechain input of the right track. The instance of Pro-Q 2 on the right channel's track I used the EQ Match function to analyze the input from the left channel, and plot a correction curve for the right channel to match the left. Boom, centered bass cabinet.

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2017, 10:14:42 AM »
I've been messing with Slate Digital Revival over the holiday (http://slatedigital.com/revival/). Worth checking out, as it's free if you have an iLok 2. Simple 2-knob plugin with Shimmer and Thickness controls.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com