Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Oade modSBM-1 discussion  (Read 19494 times)

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stomach Full of Regret
Re: Oade modSBM-1 discussion
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2005, 11:49:04 AM »
for better or for worse on the sound of the mod, i gotta say i'm a little surprised that doug's upgrades don't specifically spell out what he's doing to the box.  i guess the ultimate sound of the unit is the most important, but if i was sending someone an expensive piece of gear to be modified, i would want to know exactly what he was doing to it.

marc0789

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2005, 11:55:06 AM »
fwiw doug recently told a buddy of mine that he essentially built the m148 and modsbm1 to be run together.

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2005, 12:00:24 PM »
for better or for worse on the sound of the mod, i gotta say i'm a little surprised that doug's upgrades don't specifically spell out what he's doing to the box. i guess the ultimate sound of the unit is the most important, but if i was sending someone an expensive piece of gear to be modified, i would want to know exactly what he was doing to it.

agreed.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

marc0789

« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2005, 12:03:47 PM »
for better or for worse on the sound of the mod, i gotta say i'm a little surprised that doug's upgrades don't specifically spell out what he's doing to the box.  i guess the ultimate sound of the unit is the most important, but if i was sending someone an expensive piece of gear to be modified, i would want to know exactly what he was doing to it.

he considers everything he does to be proprietary. I think his attitude was, if you trust me to make the thing sound good, send it in; but you'll get no information on the upgrade process. 100% justified imo. If that's not to the liking of the customer, move along or diy.

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2005, 12:15:08 PM »

he considers everything he does to be proprietary. I think his attitude was, if you trust me to make the thing sound good, send it in; but you'll get no information on the upgrade process. 100% justified imo. If that's not to the liking of the customer, move along or diy.

100% justifiied because of the doug idolatry that goes on...i guess.  i just think it's a bit weird that someone would advertise a modification, call it a line stage rebuild, but not tell you how he was changing it.  i'm not asking for part numbers or exactly what he does or anything of the sort that would ruin his proprietary information.  but telling me which parts are changed, yeah, i'd want to know that.  for example, now doug isn't doing mod or repair work on these.  you need to get it fixed by someone else, but they have no idea what was done to it in order to fix it?  recall your comments about apogee and the ad-1000 schematics.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2005, 01:51:12 PM »
i just think it's a bit weird that someone would advertise a modification, call it a line stage rebuild, but not tell you how he was changing it. i'm not asking for part numbers or exactly what he does or anything of the sort that would ruin his proprietary information. but telling me which parts are changed, yeah, i'd want to know that.

I emailed Doug asking for very generic and historical information about the modSBM-1s - no part numbers, etc. - just whether he swapped out the ADC in addition to the op amps at some point in time.  He basically replied that he won't provide details on what he does in his mods, and that I should open it up and look.   I was kinda hoping he'd offer at least generic info about components modified.  I know he's done so in the past regarding the analog components in the modSBM-1 and also the UA5 mods, so am a bit surprised he wouldn't provide any info about whether he's modded the ADC chips, too.  His prerogative, but I still wish he'd provided at least high level info.  :-\
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

marc0789

« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2005, 02:03:49 PM »

100% justifiied because of the doug idolatry that goes on...i guess.  i just think it's a bit weird that someone would advertise a modification, call it a line stage rebuild, but not tell you how he was changing it.  i'm not asking for part numbers or exactly what he does or anything of the sort that would ruin his proprietary information.  but telling me which parts are changed, yeah, i'd want to know that.  for example, now doug isn't doing mod or repair work on these.  you need to get it fixed by someone else, but they have no idea what was done to it in order to fix it?  recall your comments about apogee and the ad-1000 schematics.

not sure he does anything that'd make it difficult for someone who knows what they're doing to fix it. for example I doubt it's much of a mystery to Ramsden, Marc Kim, etc....

Doug puts schematics up and he loses business...his perogative to keep it to himself, as it is any prospective purchaser's perogative to get pissed and not have Doug do the work. However, if he doesn't plan to do any mod work in the future, seems that he doesn't need to keep this stuff proprietary any longer.

guess I give him the benefit of the doubt because of his history, reputation, and all he's done for tapers...more than anyone, imo. I can tell you I've been steered in some really fucked up and expensive directions by other retailers, and not Doug.

Offline Tim

« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2005, 03:44:57 PM »
I'm with you Marc, I trust Doug... I just found it odd that he was doing something major to the modsbm-1's and not telling anyone...

I don't care about the details, it just seems odd that he wasn't upfront about the changes he was making to the units.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

marc0789

« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2005, 03:55:16 PM »
I'm with you Marc, I trust Doug... I just found it odd that he was doing something major to the modsbm-1's and not telling anyone...

I don't care about the details, it just seems odd that he wasn't upfront about the changes he was making to the units.

I wonder if he had any fears that Sony would give him a hard time if he let the mods out in the open?

Offline gruven42

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2005, 01:07:16 PM »
I asked Doug about making the SBM-1 output 24 bit
data and he said he did not do that, I doubt any 24 bit output
SBM-1's exist.

This would be sweet. Bypass the SBM and output a straight 24 bit signal. It would, however, only be 24/48 max. Anyone up to the challenge?
RIP, my taping career: 10/10/2003-10/6/2007

140/LC3 / MP-2 / Kind / Oade LS Mod SBM-1 / 7pin-opti / JB3 / D7 | SGE 100 / A27M / Manfrotto Black Stacker / Kata Koala-1 | 391/3/actives / c1000 / UA5 (P-Mod)

Offline neutrino

• Taperssection Member
  • **Team Chicago**
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2005, 01:21:53 PM »
I asked Doug about the possibility in modding a SBM-1 to output 24bits and he said while the chip specifications say it can do it, it would take a lot of work to get it done. So unfortunately if you want to go 24bits, we may have to look elsewhere...
dB-
CA14/OM14 > A10
Sony SBM-1 Oade mod

Offline Kevin Straker

• The Shogun of Easley
  • Trade Count: (4)
Re: M-Audio Flash Tracker details **PART II**
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2005, 01:48:57 PM »

Oade called their line stage mod a "24 bit mod", but it doesn't transmit 24 bits. It produces a 24 bit signal, then dithers down to 20 bit, which DAT decks then take further down to 16.
(thanks Nick)
A couple of folks on the oade site talk about having 24 bit SBM1s....

Yep, had one of those myself, w/the coax mod.
People on ludes should not drive...
J. Spicoli

mk4,mk21>kc5>cmc6>V3>SD722

Online Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2005, 02:05:37 PM »
I asked Doug about the possibility in modding a SBM-1 to output 24bits and he said while the chip specifications say it can do it, it would take a lot of work to get it done. So unfortunately if you want to go 24bits, we may have to look elsewhere...
dB-

its been awhile and my memory is a bit foggy, but from what I remember Doug said it could be modded for 24bit output, but the analog section spec's didn't warrant it.  even with upgrades, the analog specs (ie frequency/dynamic range, noise) were not good enough to bother with 24bit output.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Ray76

Re: M-Audio Flash Tracker details **PART II**
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2005, 02:06:12 PM »

Oade called their line stage mod a "24 bit mod", but it doesn't transmit 24 bits. It produces a 24 bit signal, then dithers down to 20 bit, which DAT decks then take further down to 16.
(thanks Nick)
A couple of folks on the oade site talk about having 24 bit SBM1s....

Yep, had one of those myself, w/the coax mod.

I knew I wasnt hallucinating when I described what I heard him say. ;)

Offline gruven42

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2005, 11:46:00 AM »
even with upgrades, the analog specs (ie frequency/dynamic range, noise) were not good enough to bother with 24bit output.

If that's true, then wouldn't it follow that the 16-bit signal is not good enough? Anyone get what I'm trying to say? If the 16-bit signal is primo, shouldn't the 24-bit data that proceded it be better?
RIP, my taping career: 10/10/2003-10/6/2007

140/LC3 / MP-2 / Kind / Oade LS Mod SBM-1 / 7pin-opti / JB3 / D7 | SGE 100 / A27M / Manfrotto Black Stacker / Kata Koala-1 | 391/3/actives / c1000 / UA5 (P-Mod)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.118 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com