Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Power Supply for Nbox instead of 9V  (Read 10869 times)

Offline gngrbrdman13

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Power Supply for Nbox instead of 9V
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2005, 03:55:02 PM »
is it true 9v rechargables are only 7.2v with a full charge ???   am i being missinformed here?

Correctly informed ;D

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2005, 04:27:57 PM »
is it true 9v rechargables are only 7.2v with a full charge ???   am i being missinformed here?

Correctly informed ;D

Or perhaps misinformed, after all.   :-\  As I understand it, even 9v rechargeables are still made up of 1.2v cells.  The original 9v NiMH rechargeable batts were comprised of 7 cells, and provided only 8.4v when fully charged.  At some point, some manufacturers started offering 9v NiMH rechargeables with 8 cells, providing 9.6v when fully charged.  I don't know of any 9v NiMH rechargeables that included only 6 cells (and therefore providing only 7.2v), but that doesn't mean they don't exist - just that I'm not familiar with them.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2005, 04:41:07 PM »
The small NiMH batteries may be 9.4 after charging but they fall almost immediately..  Nominal on this one is 8.4v. I think lithium is probably the way to go.

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/tysonic-9v-nimh-batteries.htm

There are definitely lithium batteries better than that. They are usually not substitutes for common sizes. They aren't usually sold to the public because they can explode if not charged correctly, etc..

http://www.powerstream.com/lip.htm
http://www.batteriesamerica.com/newpage8.htm

The first battery on the first link looks very interesting and it is in a normal 9v form factor.  10.8V nom.  If those would work, that would be great.  Just add a charging jack (and figure out the 18v serial issues).

Offline ianstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • schoeps>something>something else
    • My Recordings on ARCHIVE
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2005, 05:20:05 PM »
schoepsnbox, my 9v wal-mart type battery is at your disposal

After further consideration will this work?  Wouldnt we need 4?  What are the mA on that batt Chris? 

IMO the way to do this would be to have the rechargable system fit inside the Nbox so that there is no 'extra' gear for me to forget at home....he he he

you'd forget your head if it wasn't attached

Microphones:
CCM4v (pair)
mk6 (pair) and mk41 (pair) with kc5's & cmc6's
mk21 (1) for those M/S situations

Preamps:
Sonosax SX-M2

Recorders:
Sound Devices 722
Edirol R-01

My Recordings on archive http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=%22ian%20stone%22

Offline gngrbrdman13

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2005, 05:27:07 PM »

Correctly informed ;D

Or perhaps misinformed, after all.   :-\  As I understand it, even 9v rechargeables are still made up of 1.2v cells.  The original 9v NiMH rechargeable batts were comprised of 7 cells, and provided only 8.4v when fully charged.  At some point, some manufacturers started offering 9v NiMH rechargeables with 8 cells, providing 9.6v when fully charged.  I don't know of any 9v NiMH rechargeables that included only 6 cells (and therefore providing only 7.2v), but that doesn't mean they don't exist - just that I'm not familiar with them.

Thats what they are 8.4.  They tanked right away though.   I tried them years ago with a sonosax and found they didnt work at all and never tried them again.  Looks like these other ones that are 9.4 drop quick too.  I have said lithium all  along. ;D

[date=1134665832]

you'd forget your head if it wasn't attached

If thats not callin' the spun dun ::)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2005, 05:33:10 PM »
Thats what they are 8.4.  They tanked right away though.   I tried them years ago with a sonosax and found they didnt work at all and never tried them again.  Looks like these other ones that are 9.4 drop quick too.

I tried the 8.4v ones with the Sax, too, and nope - they didn't cut it.  In fact, they didn't cut it for any 9v device in which I tried them.  However, the reviews I've read indicate the 9.6v NiMH batts are a BIG improvement over the 8.4v.  I've not tried the 9.6v ones myself, though, so I don't know if they drop so swiftly as to prove useless.  I'm curious, since I have other needs for 9v NiMH batts - what's behind the "looks like these other ones" drop quick, too, comment?  Reviews, personal experiences, etc.?
Roland R-05

Offline gngrbrdman13

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2005, 05:48:23 PM »
Thats what they are 8.4.  They tanked right away though.   I tried them years ago with a sonosax and found they didnt work at all and never tried them again.  Looks like these other ones that are 9.4 drop quick too.

- what's behind the "looks like these other ones" drop quick, too, comment?  Reviews, personal experiences, etc.?

Well its based on the fact that it says nominal voltage 8.4v.   

From the Tysonic website:

Actual Voltage is the same or slightly higher than standard 9V Alkaline Batteries after charging
Actually charges to 9.4 Volts @ 200mAH  capacity.  Nominal voltage is 8.4 volts
Checks out at 9.4V after charging. ( Actual 9V alkaline is 9.2V) Nominal voltage is 8.4V

Hows Frank?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2005, 05:52:13 PM »

Ahhh, gotcha.  The newer (not necessarily Tysonic) 9v NiMH rechargeables are 9.6v nominal, not 8.4v.
Roland R-05

Offline gngrbrdman13

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2005, 05:57:51 PM »

Ahhh, gotcha.  The newer (not necessarily Tysonic) 9v NiMH rechargeables are 9.6v nominal, not 8.4v.

yeah your so cool you got me right here in the open on the internets.  :'( at least I posted a reference....wheres yours? ???

and always Brian  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2005, 06:11:56 PM »
I also heard through the grape vine that a MG nbox is in the works.  The collettes have been machined and now some other research needs to be done on developing an 'active' setup for it.

I know this thread is primarily about powering the nbox, but is this true.  I think many of us MG folks would be interested in an active setup to use with the MG caps.

Offline gngrbrdman13

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2005, 06:13:52 PM »

skalomander you've been waiting over 2 months to say that to me about something.  its ok you can go ahead and breathe now.

IMO rechargable alkalines suck.  they are bound to f up on you sooner or later no matter how many nomifuckinal volts they have....for what period of time that is the real question.

Brian,  How about you run the rechargable 9v in your sonolax (maybe you can borrow it back for these battery comps ::)and I will run the Nbox with duracell ultras and see who gets the encore....he he he

This is what really matters about what I said....not your stupid voltage war.

Quote from: fluffhead13 link=topic=55842.msg733435#msg733435  [b
I have said lithium all  along. ;D[/b]

Offline schoepsnbox

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Nbox...........Zero's and One's
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2005, 06:28:13 PM »
I also heard through the grape vine that a MG nbox is in the works.  The collettes have been machined and now some other research needs to be done on developing an 'active' setup for it.

I know this thread is primarily about powering the nbox, but is this true.  I think many of us MG folks would be interested in an active setup to use with the MG caps.

Yes, this is true...Met a local taper at a bc show, got together with him and a friend of his who is a machineist and we currently have an "active head" for the mg caps to screw onto.....looking good.  Simply have to work out circuit details as the mg caps differ from the schoeps.

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2005, 06:32:22 PM »

Yes, this is true...Met a local taper at a bc show, got together with him and a friend of his who is a machineist and we currently have an "active head" for the mg caps to screw onto.....looking good.  Simply have to work out circuit details as the mg caps differ from the schoeps.

that is great to hear.  your work and effort are really appreciated :)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2005, 06:51:42 PM »
yeah your so cool you got me right here in the open on the internets.  :'( at least I posted a reference....wheres yours? ???

::)  I wasn't trying to be cool and I wasn't looking for a reference.  I was simply seeking to understand your comments.  Now I know why you didn't think "these other ones" would prove any better than the 8.4v batts:  you were, in fact, still talking about 8.4v nominal batts.  I appreciate the clarification.

Two quick references for 9.6v nominal NiMH batts:

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/ipower-96v-220-rechargeable-battery.htm
http://www.thomas-distributing.com/mh-96v200.htm

Try Google for what I suspect are gobs more.

IMO rechargable alkalines suck.  they are bound to f up on you sooner or later no matter how many nomifuckinal volts they have....for what period of time that is the real question.

Rechargeable alkalines are a different animal entirely.  I'll assume you meant NiMH.  Anyway...the 8.4v NiMH rechargeables do suck for realtively high-draw situations that require 9v.  I just don't think it's reasonable to assume the 9.6v nominal batts will prove just as worthless.

Perhaps the additional voltage will make a significant difference, perhaps it won't.  I don't know whether the 8.4v NiMH batts failed in the Sax because the batts didn't carry enough capacity, or because the voltage drop-off occurred too rapidly so the Sax couldn't effectively use the batt's available capacity.  If the former, the extra voltage won't help.  If the latter, the extra voltage may help.  At any rate, I've not tried them, so I don't know.  It seems you haven't tried them, either.  If you do try them, let us know how they work out for you.  Maybe they'll suck, but maybe they won't.  But to pan them without trying or presenting valid reasons doesn't serve anyone's interests.
Roland R-05

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2005, 07:09:27 PM »
I was unable to find actual discharge curves for those batteries. They haven't provided complete specs. So I would be very suspect of their performance until more data is available.  That is especially true in an application like this where the batteries will be used both in series and parallel.

Another link that covers some of the issues and mentions these bats:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=72961

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.209 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com