Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Does anyone here use a UA5 to transfer DATs to Computer?  (Read 2036 times)

Offline dave C

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Does anyone here use a UA5 to transfer DATs to Computer?
« on: December 25, 2005, 05:31:24 PM »
Is this a good way to transfer my DATs digitally to my computer? If you use this method i could really use some detailed help. I guessing i would use my 7pin coaxil to connect to UA5 then send signal to the computer via USB. Also, once the shows are on my computer, in what format should i compress the files for storage purposes?

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My show list
Re: Does anyone here use a UA5 to transfer DATs to Computer?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2005, 05:58:46 PM »
I'm guessing you won't find too many people here who use their ua5 for transferring DATs, and here's why.  The ua5 will resample a digital signal, so what you record on your computer will NOT be identical to the original DAT recording.  a good alternative would be to pick up a cheap, bit perfect soundcard.  do a search on here and you should find plenty of discussion about this.

Also, once the shows are on my computer, in what format should i compress the files for storage purposes?

most people use FLAC format, and that's what I'd recommend.

Offline dave C

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2005, 06:59:41 PM »
Thanks man! I should of come to taperssection along time ago. Happy Holidays!

Offline NJFunk

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005, 01:08:06 PM »
I've used my UA-5 to transfer DATs to my computer without any problem.  There definitely is a redundant resample step if you're transferring a 44.1 DAT to a 44.1 WAV file, but if you have a DAT sampled at 48 and need a WAV at 44.1 to burn to CD anyway, then the resample step is necessary somewhere anyway, and I doubt it makes much difference whether it is done in the UA-5 or in SF or Audition or whatever software you have.  Even 44.1 DATs, the redundant resample is sonically transparent.

I wouldn't recommend BUYING a UA-5 for this purpose since you can get a bit perfect soundcard that is cheaper and technically superior, but if you have one and don't have a bit perfect soundcard already and don't feel like spending $100 or whatever to get one, I see no harm in using the UA-5 to transfer your DATs.

Also, FYI, I run the DAT into the coax input on the back of the UA-5, then connect to my computer via USB (and make sure the sample rate dial on the front of the UA-5 is set to 44.1 regardless of the sample rate of the DAT).  On my computer, I use Soundforge 8.  There is an audio capture feature in SF.  You just have to select UA-5 as the input device and you can record to wave (SF should automatically detect the UA-5 when you plug in the USB cable, if not, read the book on how to install the software).  Also, and this is important, don't use the computer while you're doing the transfer.  The computer (NOT the UA-5) will drop samples and give you subsecond skips in your WAVs if you're using the processor to do other things while you're doing the transfer.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com