Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sennheiser MKE2 Waterproof GoPro mic - hacks and modifications  (Read 49569 times)

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
Re: Sennheiser MKE2 Waterproof GoPro mic - hacks and modifications
« Reply #90 on: February 10, 2019, 07:37:40 PM »
I'd try the 9200 set to "0" and go line in to your recorder.

I'm going to try my MKE 2's on Wednesday. An ambient band with no drummer.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #91 on: February 11, 2019, 02:31:20 AM »
I used the mics tonight but it turned out sounding bad. Almost like clipping but it was set to peak at ~-9db. Maybe the CA9100 supplied too much power?

I was afraid of that. My tests show that they can run line in from a battery box. Did you try the "0" setting on the 9100? That would just make it a battery box without gain.

Nope, I ran it at 5 o clock as usual (as w/ AT853) and figured since the levels on the M10 we're good, it was ok. I'm under the impression that the gain on the 9100 is fixed and the potentiometer controls the signal level output - please correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't know much about the tech behind the mics. Would supplying less power via PIP vs 9v have less of a chance of overloading the mics?

I moved back a few rows during the encore and the sound was noticably better with a small amount of clipping on the peaks and crowd noise.

Would a sound sample be useful? I think the recording is a write off.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 02:53:42 AM by beegar »
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline Chuck

« Reply #92 on: February 11, 2019, 10:01:35 AM »
I did a very unscientific test over the weekend. I held the MKE 2 mics in my hand and hummed/talked very loudly into them. They brick walled at some point at every setting I used, including line in with a straight battery box.  As Moke mentioned, they are very sensitive. He used around 18 db less gain than he uses with his DPA4060's!

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #93 on: February 11, 2019, 10:08:35 AM »
I used the mics tonight but it turned out sounding bad. Almost like clipping but it was set to peak at ~-9db. Maybe the CA9100 supplied too much power?
Does the CA9100 incorporate the 4.7k mod?
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #94 on: February 11, 2019, 10:34:00 AM »

Mine doesn't (as far as I know - just the HPF switch), but you could order the 3 wire version with a switchable 4.7k mod IIRC.

I'm planning to test out three more possibilities at a "burner" show soon:

1) MKE2 > CA9100 at unity gain (around 11 o clock) > M10 line in
2) MKE2 > CA9100 w/ attenuation (switched on to the lowest setting > M10 line in
2) MKE2 > M10 mic in w/PIP

Can someone help me understand a bit of what's happening here? I'm assuming the SPL was too much for the capsule but levels at the recorder were fine. I imagine that it is possible that the M10 was attenuating the signal to keep it at -9db but I think I had it at around 5 or so.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 10:57:17 AM by beegar »
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #95 on: February 11, 2019, 11:43:40 AM »

Mine doesn't (as far as I know - just the HPF switch), but you could order the 3 wire version with a switchable 4.7k mod IIRC.

I'm planning to test out three more possibilities at a "burner" show soon:

1) MKE2 > CA9100 at unity gain (around 11 o clock) > M10 line in
2) MKE2 > CA9100 w/ attenuation (switched on to the lowest setting > M10 line in
2) MKE2 > M10 mic in w/PIP

Can someone help me understand a bit of what's happening here? I'm assuming the SPL was too much for the capsule but levels at the recorder were fine. I imagine that it is possible that the M10 was attenuating the signal to keep it at -9db but I think I had it at around 5 or so.
If you can run plug in power, low sens on M10,turn down till just below clipping level.
Let us know that level. If it is #2 or above it should not distort.  If it is below #2 you've got brickwall distortion.
  Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline heathen

« Reply #96 on: February 11, 2019, 01:45:45 PM »
Can you guys share some tips for soldering the thin wires from the mic to the wires of an extension cable?  (I'm using Mogami W2697 FWIW.)  I spent longer than I care to admit yesterday trying to solder the wires together and while it worked (eventually...) it was bulky and sloppy.  Luckily that was on a mic that I'd already intended to be just for practice.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline heathen

« Reply #97 on: February 11, 2019, 01:49:29 PM »
Or you could just wire them straight through
red to red to pin 2
blue to blue to pin 1
shield to shield to pin 3

then take a very small piece of wire, a half inch or so, barely strip it on both ends and tin it, then after you have connected your cable to connector you add the short piece between the connector cups of 1 and 3 on the connector. Be careful not to unsolder the existing connections while you get the jumper in there and have the solder flowing. If you have a little extra wire from the jumper you can prob make it fit inside the connector housing easily enough. This is easier in a larger connector like an XLR but it's doable in a TA3. When doing smaller connectors I gently clamp them in the jaws of a vice grip to hold them steady. Don't get too crazy with the solder it could overflow the cup and short the connections.

I ended up doing red to red, but didn't solder a wire between the cups on 1 and 3.  Instead, I twisted the blue and shield together partially, so they made a Y.  I tinned the twisted part to make sure they held together well.  Then I connected each free end to 1 and 3.  That accomplishes the same thing, right?

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #98 on: February 11, 2019, 07:06:56 PM »
Can you guys share some tips for soldering the thin wires from the mic to the wires of an extension cable?  (I'm using Mogami W2697 FWIW.)  I spent longer than I care to admit yesterday trying to solder the wires together and while it worked (eventually...) it was bulky and sloppy.  Luckily that was on a mic that I'd already intended to be just for practice.

This looks to have been answered, above, but, this is what I did,..

I first tinned all leads.
Then I cleaned the iron tip, and very lightly tinned the iron. I had the iron set at an angle to create a drip at the tip. I then brought both leads up under the soldering iron tip, and into the slight drip of melted tin. They joined, and I carefully pulled them away from the heat, and, watched the tin flash hard. mission accomplished.
One of those alligator clip/magnifying glass holder dealieo things would probably be really handy; but never around when you need one.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 07:58:27 PM by Moke »

Offline jeenash

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #99 on: February 11, 2019, 07:10:41 PM »
I did a very unscientific test over the weekend. I held the MKE 2 mics in my hand and hummed/talked very loudly into them. They brick walled at some point at every setting I used, including line in with a straight battery box.  As Moke mentioned, they are very sensitive. He used around 18 db less gain than he uses with his DPA4060's!

I usually set up a known rig in front of my home speakers and play with volume and or distance until I get normal levels at my usual settings. Set up at the same spot and you can get a pretty good starting point for levels on the new rig. I thought the mke2's were sensitive but not to the point where it wasn't manageable.

mcfoster

« Reply #100 on: February 11, 2019, 09:47:52 PM »
Hey folks, just wanted to let you know I seem to be having some nice success with these into my DR-05. I am not having overloading issues at all. Check out some of last nights pull. A nice show from the band, lots of originals in the first set, and a heavy on the GD second. I never pictured myself an omni guy, but it's really nice to be able to leave my 100 dollar rig just about anywhere and let it do it's thing.

https://archive.org/details/JohnKadlecik2019-02-10

Offline heathen

« Reply #101 on: February 11, 2019, 11:04:24 PM »
Hey folks, just wanted to let you know I seem to be having some nice success with these into my DR-05. I am not having overloading issues at all. Check out some of last nights pull. A nice show from the band, lots of originals in the first set, and a heavy on the GD second. I never pictured myself an omni guy, but it's really nice to be able to leave my 100 dollar rig just about anywhere and let it do it's thing.

Awesome!  So you're just running these straight to the DR-05 with PiP and no pre/BB?

Offline Chuck

« Reply #102 on: February 12, 2019, 08:07:56 AM »

Nice sounding recording. Thanks for making it available.

mcfoster

« Reply #103 on: February 12, 2019, 08:18:58 AM »

Awesome!  So you're just running these straight to the DR-05 with PiP and no pre/BB?
/quote]

Yes, nothing else, my mic power is on, and my gain setting is at -48. I may try to see if it ill run ok at a loud show at -24. I'll let you know if it can handle that.

Offline heathen

« Reply #104 on: February 12, 2019, 08:47:09 AM »
It's good to see that these can handle higher SPLs.  I'm really impressed with how they sound from only PiP.  Do you know how much the DR05 supplies?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.121 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com