Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: H120/HDD Replacement/Firmware Loading  (Read 2706 times)

Offline 1westkc3

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
H120/HDD Replacement/Firmware Loading
« on: February 05, 2007, 03:58:19 PM »
I expect to receive a new 30g HDD for my dead H120.  I know how to get Rockbox loaded but was wondering if there's a way to get the original iRiver firmware loaded.  I don't use the original firmware but it would be nice to have in certain situations where booting to Rockbox is problematic.  Any ideas out there?  I have another working H120 with both Rockbox & the original firmware.  Is there some way to copy the original firmware to the PC then load to the new H130?

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 20 years of the best in apocalyptic gothic metal
Re: H120/HDD Replacement/Firmware Loading
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 08:43:40 PM »
This page on Rockbox.org, http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/ManualRockboxInstall#iriver_jukeboxes , has links to iRiver firmware. I think the 1.66US is what you'll want to install, then load Rockbox.
Naiant X-X > SP-SPSB-1 > M10
Superlux S502 > Denecke PS-2 > Hosa MIT-435 > M10

Offline petur

• Taperssection Member
  • wtb: time
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 03:50:03 AM »
I expect to receive a new 30g HDD for my dead H120.  I know how to get Rockbox loaded but was wondering if there's a way to get the original iRiver firmware loaded.  I don't use the original firmware but it would be nice to have in certain situations where booting to Rockbox is problematic.  Any ideas out there?  I have another working H120 with both Rockbox & the original firmware.  Is there some way to copy the original firmware to the PC then load to the new H130?

the original firmware and the RockBox bootloader are both in a FLASH rom chip in the player. Only RockBox loads in two steps (bootloader in flash and actual program on HDD).

So once you unzip rockbox on the new harddisk, things should be as before. The original firmware will still be there.

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 20 years of the best in apocalyptic gothic metal
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 06:23:25 PM »
the original firmware and the RockBox bootloader are both in a FLASH rom chip in the player. Only RockBox loads in two steps (bootloader in flash and actual program on HDD).

So once you unzip rockbox on the new harddisk, things should be as before. The original firmware will still be there.
Thanks for the correction, Petur! I posted while still recovering from the flu.  :P Took me awhile to remember that reformatting a drive (or installing a new drive) only erases the RockBox build, not the firmware.
Naiant X-X > SP-SPSB-1 > M10
Superlux S502 > Denecke PS-2 > Hosa MIT-435 > M10

Offline 1westkc3

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 08:21:42 PM »
Excellent news.  Thanks to you both CliveStaples & petur.  TS comes thru again.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 08:49:58 PM by 1westkc3 »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com