Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Where to go from here?  (Read 2510 times)

Offline ~ Dan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Where to go from here?
« on: February 24, 2005, 08:47:11 PM »
Hello, I'm a newbie to this forum and a newbie to taping also  ;) .  I have had my equipment for about half of a year now but have not recorded much.  I was a little rushed in my decision for what to get and I didn't want to spend too much (as you can see).  Now that I know a little more, I'd eventually like to start upgrading my stuff.

[1] I'd like to know what I should start looking to upgrade first, and what to?  I'm running SP-CMC-19 > SP-SPSB-3 > JB3 right now.  I've talked with a friend who recomended the SP-CMC-8's, what do you think of this?  Would upgrading the mics first be my best bet?  What should I be looking for?

[2] I have no skill whatsoever in mastering recordings, so I was wondering if there are any good resources out there for editting in the post.  Any books or website would be awesome.  I'd also like some feedback on what I've recorded so far.  Here's a link to a bit of a show I recorded, it's Bruce Springsteen (10.28.04).  The recording is uneditted, 16 bit 48 khz, SP-CMC-19 > SP-SPSB-3 > JB3 > USB > flac.  Please let me know what you think of it and what I can do to improve in the future (I know it's not that great, the volume is quite low).

http://www.angelfire.com/ok5/music5/springclip.htm
(go to the page, you can't directly link off of Angelfire :p)
AT853Rx (c/h/sc/o) > Denecke PS-2 > Denecke AD-20 > Nomad JB3 or iRiver iHP-120

Offline bagtagsell

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Man is condemned to be free- Sartre
Re: Where to go from here?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005, 08:54:50 PM »
throw the most money in your mics, they have the greatest impact.  Jb3 is great, no need to improve their.  If you are a stealther, I would reccomend at853.  I bought mine for $300 used with all caps. 

If you want to go further into the darkside you can add a pre.  Again, if you are a stealther the mp2 is awesome.  Or psp2.

If you want to fully go to the darkside, buy an adc.  That gear, in that order will improve your sound the most.

As for post work, I've become a fan of no post work at all (except for tracking and burning).  I would reccomend Sound Forge 6 or 7.  Tons of things to tool around with.

Normilize the recording if its too quite
Eq it if your bass is over powering
Compression if you have some light overs
Thats all I ever do and know how to do.
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

*aspiring gear slut of the month year*
"I am the gear slut goo goo g’joob g’goo goo g’joob"

Offline ~ Dan

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2005, 09:22:41 PM »
The at853's, do SP deal them?  Sorry for my ignorance.

Offline Diamond_D

• Taperssection Member
  • Who's not honoring me now?
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2005, 09:47:49 PM »
SP sells the 853's as the SP-CMC-4, a matched pair, and you can get them with battery power, phantom, or a kit to do either.

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-CMC-4

There are lots of comments about these mics not handling bassy or really loud shows all that well on battery power though, so if you are considering getting a phantom supply, you can get the "real deal" AT853Rx's (phantom only) with all the accessories (wire hanger, stand, power adapter) from Alpha for not much more

http://www.alphasoundandlighting.com/monthlysales.html

I just placed my order for a pair with them on Monday, and am eagerly awaiting their arrival!

--PS - you a Springsteen fan? 10/28, that must have been one of the Kerry rallies? I saw the Philly and Jersey Vote for Change shows with Fogerty, amazing!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2005, 10:06:15 PM by Diamond_D »
SP-C4's > Canare Star Quads > UA5 (bm2p+) > H120

"Drums, Guitars, and Death. They finally got it right."
        Beavis & Butthead

Offline ~ Dan

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2005, 04:37:37 PM »
--PS - you a Springsteen fan? 10/28, that must have been one of the Kerry rallies? I saw the Philly and Jersey Vote for Change shows with Fogerty, amazing!

Not really a Springsteen fan, but yes, it was Kerry rally.  I was more interested in Dave Grohl and Chris Shiftlet (Foo Fighters) who were also performing, but the Boss did a very nice job too. 

A pre would be like pre-amp?  Sorry, I don't know a whole lot of lingo.  adc is Analog to Digital converter, correct?  So the AT853's would be my best bet for a great sound?  Thanks for everyones input and help.

Offline ~ Dan

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2005, 04:52:27 PM »
Oh, BTW, I'm most interested in stealthing if that will make a difference...

Offline kfrinkle

• Needs to get out more...
    • Karl Frinkle Dot Net
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2005, 04:54:04 PM »
If you are gonna stealth brutally heavy metal shows, get the At853s or even better, the DPA 4061s.... I am running the CMC-8s, which really kick ass, but they do have problems with high SPL situations....
-Karl
MBHO KA200n's > Naiant Tinybox (v2.1) > Sony PCM-M10
http://tooldriveproject.net

Offline Diamond_D

• Taperssection Member
  • Who's not honoring me now?
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2005, 06:42:44 PM »
you've got the lingo right, yup. You can go with a combined pre/phantom supply like the Eridol UA-5, but if you're interested in stealthing mostly, the favorite setup seems to be PS-2 (phantom) into an AD-20 (pre) both are made by Denecke. The AD-20 puts out an optical or coax signal, so if you've got the JB3 you can go right from AD-20 to JB3 with a $25 Sound Pro cable (toslink to mini). That's exactly the setup I'll have, and quite a few others as well.
SP-C4's > Canare Star Quads > UA5 (bm2p+) > H120

"Drums, Guitars, and Death. They finally got it right."
        Beavis & Butthead

Offline kfrinkle

• Karl Frinkle Dot Net
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2005, 06:47:28 PM »
Can you stealth all that stuff by yourself? PS2, AD20, JB3 and mics?  I have a hard enough time getting my JB3 into the tight security shows...
-Karl
MBHO KA200n's > Naiant Tinybox (v2.1) > Sony PCM-M10
http://tooldriveproject.net

Offline setboy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2005, 07:21:34 PM »
Can you stealth all that stuff by yourself? PS2, AD20, JB3 and mics?  I have a hard enough time getting my JB3 into the tight security shows...

i can  ;)

but i am not going to the kind of shows you are

Raphael

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com