Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Newbie Question About Recording Levels & Mic  (Read 2400 times)

Offline ___Twiggy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Newbie Question About Recording Levels & Mic
« on: September 16, 2005, 08:14:07 PM »
Hey Guys,

Glad to be here...had a couple of questions.

I have a Sony Hi-MD and a set of Giant Squid Omni-Directional Mics w/ Bass Rolloff.

My questions are:

- Does anyone know if Giant Squid are even a decent brand?
- What is a good recording level to set my MD on right before recording?

Thanks,
Steve :D

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Newbie Question About Recording Levels & Mic
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2005, 08:28:47 PM »
"decent" all depends on your budget. If the most you can afford is <$100, then they're probably the best. If you've got thousands to spend, then no, definitely not.

As far as setting levels, that will vary from show to show and venue to venue. What type of music will you be taping? What size venues? How close to the stacks will you be? All of those things have to be taken into consideration.

Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2005, 08:41:07 PM »
can't help you as far as the Giant Quids, although the omnis are supposed to be much better than their cards as far as frequency response

in regards to setting levels, it really depends on what you are recording, the venue, where you are located etc. Usually if you are set up in advance you can get some idea based on a sound check or if they have loud music over the PA, but being able to be prepared in advance for proper levels is gonna take some time to get an idea of your equipment and the venues

sorry that's probably not the answer you are looking for and perhaps someone can chime in, but like anything involved with taping there are no absolute answers

welcome and good luck, this is the best resource you will find

+T

sorry to repeat what nick said, waited to long to post
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline ___Twiggy

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2005, 09:02:53 PM »
Hey,

I'm thinkin' of recording Def Leppard 10/15/05 in Raleigh. It's an amphitheatre, and I have row 8 tickets.

Steve

Offline itook2much

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKA rspencer
    • my masters
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2005, 02:13:53 AM »
I use a Hi-MD, but the mics are gonna affect how you set your levels as well.
FWIW, I ran @ 15/30 about 20' from the stage for Dinosaur Jr., started at 17 but got chickenshit :)
With a stealth job, you don't wanna spend much time checking the levels, so I'd start off at 13-15 & keep an eye on 'em during the first song.  adjust 'em if necessary & then leave 'em alone.  Perfect levels won't mean nothin' if you get busted. ;)

Good luck +t
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > CS BB > Edirol R-09

Backups:  DPA 4060 (1/8"), SP-BMC-2, SP-SPSB-6, Sony MZ-NH1

Quote from: tomluvsgiants
rule #1 - get the show taped
rule #2 - see rule #1    >:D

Quote from: Grace Hopper
“If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.”

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2005, 02:12:01 PM »
Do your giant squids use a battery box?

If not i wouldn't set your mic level that high,as on mine without a battery box(using)csb its around 6 or 7.....with battery box 10 maybe 11.

I'd say start at 10 and check em once your at the spot you'll be staying in.

Don't set your levels to a good point and then move right in front of the stack.Set em oce your there.

A few times of doing different venues)clubs,front of stack etc. You'll know pretty much(as long as your using the same mics each time)what the level should be without having to check.At least thats how it is for me.

Offline ___Twiggy

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2005, 02:46:59 PM »
Thanks for the responses. My Giant Squids have a battery box with a fixed bass rolloff. I'm not sure at what frequency it rolls off at, but capacitors used are .068 micorfarad. Also, the factory setting for the recording level is set at 12.

Hopefully I won't get busted, LOL, as my seat number is 5. which means I'm right beside the guards...haha.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2005, 02:54:29 PM by ___Twiggy »

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2005, 03:15:10 PM »
I use a Hi-MD, but the mics are gonna affect how you set your levels as well.
FWIW, I ran @ 15/30 about 20' from the stage for Dinosaur Jr., started at 17 but got chickenshit :)
With a stealth job, you don't wanna spend much time checking the levels, so I'd start off at 13-15 & keep an eye on 'em during the first song.  adjust 'em if necessary & then leave 'em alone.  Perfect levels won't mean nothin' if you get busted. ;)

Good luck +t

I think that most rigs would pull "chickenshit" at a Dinosaur Jr. show.  Those guys are LOUD!!!
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline itook2much

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKA rspencer
    • my masters
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2005, 01:39:21 AM »
I think that most rigs would pull "chickenshit" at a Dinosaur Jr. show.  Those guys are LOUD!!!

Yeah, I was close & had 'em at 17, wasn't going over but I was a little afraid that at some point J would stomp on some effects box that he thought would sound great cranked wide open...and the volume would jump & I'd end up with clipping.
Came out good, so better safe than sorry.  Ya can always bump it up in post, can't fix it if it's brickwalled.
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > CS BB > Edirol R-09

Backups:  DPA 4060 (1/8"), SP-BMC-2, SP-SPSB-6, Sony MZ-NH1

Quote from: tomluvsgiants
rule #1 - get the show taped
rule #2 - see rule #1    >:D

Quote from: Grace Hopper
“If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.”

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.094 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com