Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Thorens TD 150 Project #3 underway  (Read 12374 times)

Offline raymonda

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Thorens TD 150 Project #3 underway
« on: October 04, 2017, 04:41:53 PM »
Okay, I'm sure that I maybe boring some with my continued postings of turntables or cartridges that I've modded out and, in turn, selling. But here goes a new Thorens TD 150 project. This one is going to be special in its own way. It will, of course have the full damping treatment, polished platter, heavy duty aluminum speed dial, carbon fiber arm board and carbon fiber top plate cover. However, it will also have the following upgrades:

1) Custom Maple plinth that is stained grey, (which really pops with the carbon fiber)
2) Cork/rubber platter mat
3) New Thakker belt
4) Music Hall Cruise Control (in silver, which looks great with the color scheme)
5) Audiomods polished tonearm with micro meter (Hands down a killer tonearm!!!!!)
6) Three point spiked footers with carbon fiber pads
7) Audioquest Power Cable

The tonearm should be to me in about a week and the build complete. As a tease, here a a few pics.

BTW, the dust cover will be forth coming.

This table should be something special with the Audiomods arm. The last two I sold went for $1750-2300. This one with the Audiomods arm will go for slightly more but should be well worth it for someone. I have a Benz ACE, that I had SoundSmith perform their magic and I potted in a wood body. This combo should sound great. The table will not be sold with cartridge, as it would be more than most would want to drop in one purchase. Plus, I love the cartridge. It is not as good as my Ruby 3 but better than the Glider and MO.09 I owned.

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: Thorens TD 150 Project #3 underway
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 09:17:34 AM »
I'm just waiting for the tone arm to arrive. I fabricated the footers yesterday. They are a combination of brass, stainless steel and carbon fiber. Here are a couple more money shots, sans tonearm and dust cover. I also added a shot of the very special Benz ACE that has been modded out with a wooden body and sapphire cantilever. This combination is going to be sonic nirvana!

Offline larrysellers

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Qualified
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 09:41:26 AM »
I really love you tables but I would love to see what you would build using a budget under $1,000. Maybe max out something that is still cheaply available like an old Garrard or something. Keep up the good work and if I find a spare 2.5 - 3k lying around, consider this sold.

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 11:10:17 AM »
Here is the AR ES1 or "The Table" I did and sold to a member here....with cartridge for around $1250.00 or so.

Offline larrysellers

• Qualified
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 11:31:22 AM »
Very nice. Are you still looking for an Empire to hotrod?

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 11:43:21 AM »
Maybe.....but I have to finish and move this current project.

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 10:07:14 PM »
Tonearm should be here any day now. Waiting, waiting waiting!

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 07:02:51 PM »
Rats! It's not here yet. Anticipation..........is making me wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 06:39:37 PM »
Rats! It's not here yet. Anticipation..........is making me wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ray i mentioned your refurb projects to a buddy of mine. If you have a project about to finish or have a table you want to move let me know and ill see about getting you guys together

AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 08:51:28 PM »
Let him know that this one is almost done. The arm should be here soon. I'll pm you when it is here.

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2017, 11:27:26 AM »
Arm is on the table. Hopefully over the next few days I can finish set up. Here are a few shots with the arm.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 01:09:55 PM by raymonda »

Offline larrysellers

• Qualified
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2017, 12:20:59 PM »
That arm is really nice. Surprisingly affordable too.

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2017, 01:13:01 PM »
At around $1,200-1,400 new it is a great deal. When available used it is a steal, The problem is that they don't come up used very often. I'm glad I got this one from a dealer who got it in on trade! You can go 2 years without one coming up on the used market!

Offline vwmule

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2017, 11:05:03 PM »
Hijacking this thread ... but anyone else have the latest War on Drugs album?

Mine is full of noise, skips, pops. Pretty disappointed, and it is Atlantic.

Offline vwmule

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2017, 11:14:41 PM »
also, raymonda, I love seeing your posts. Wish I snagged that last table you sold.

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2017, 12:21:25 AM »
The VPI or the Thorens? The VPI was a really great sounding table and really turnkey! If it was theThorens, well, that was also a beauty. The Origin Live motor, coupled with everything I did to it made it a really special table.

That being said, this current table is also something special. I just finished mounting the Audiomods arm and Benz cartridge and it is playing nicely, indeed. Over the next few weeks I will be tweaking the set up but right now it is playing like a charm. The dust cover should be in within 2 weeks and then I'll be putting it up for sale. Until then I'll be enjoying getting it perfect and ready for its new owner.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 12:23:40 AM by raymonda »

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2017, 10:02:47 AM »
Inching its way towards perfection. I've decided to upgrade the power supply caps to maximize speed stability. Although it is already good, this should rest any minds and put them at ease considering these caps are 45 years old.

Last night I tweak and adjusted the table further and this morning I'm driving it with my Thorens stabilizer and TTW rim weight. Coupled with the Benz, pictured above, this table is crushing, Clashes, "London Calling". BTW, the reissue of this album is worth the price.

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2017, 02:08:06 PM »
Here is the tables progress to date. I have a dust cover on order and a nice clamp. I will also be upgrading all the power supply components and installing an ebony body on the modded Benz ACE. What are your thoughts on the mat carbon fiber? Should it stay or should it be glossy?

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2017, 11:01:09 AM »
I'm still tweaking this table but it is coming along nicely. The dust cover is being fab'ed and should be in soon. I'm upgrading the power supply and have a nice ebony body that will replace the current wooden one on the totally hot rodded Benz Micro cartridge. This table is playing like a charm and really digs deep into the grooves and extracting every detail. I'm hoping to keep this as my second table but that might be difficult. When finished the price will be around $2,300 without cartridge and around $3,200 with the cartridge. This may be the last TD 150 I'll undertake as the prices for a stock TD 150 have climb to silly prices. Even a beater 150's are going for far more than they should. Needless to say, the one's I create are on a extreme level, design to perform and out perform tables costing 2 to 3 times as much. If you are a lover of vinyl and looking for your "end of days" table that is visually striking, this might be your table.

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2017, 01:40:59 PM »
New shots. Note chassis damping and carbon fiber spacer and finger lift.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2017, 09:58:19 PM »
^ Why 33.7? Shouldn't that speed box be reading 33.3?

Nice looking table BTW.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2017, 12:55:58 AM »
Great question. The MHCC does not measure RPM's, so the read out is actually missleading. They most likely set the reading to a set voltage, thus 33.3 is their established voltage/RPM standard. It really should read in output voltage to be more accurate. 33.7 is just the setting which gets the actual rpm' set at 33.3. I use both a strobe and an RPM app to ensure the speed is spot on.

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2017, 01:20:34 PM »
The table is getting there! Just waiting on the power supply from Europe to arrive. The Glider has been fitted with an ebony body and sounds fantastic. Listening to several albums last night and everything sounded great. Top notch table for sure. Using this arm along with the Benz cartridge has proven to be a match made in heaven.

"How do you get digital to sound better than analog?" "Never listen to analog"!????????????

Offline kindms

• The Breakfast
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2017, 03:32:16 PM »
ray i sent some pics to my buddy to see if he is still interested in a table. I gave him the ballpark of the $3200 you mentioned up thread. Ill let you know what he says
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2017, 07:56:24 PM »
Thanks. Let him know that it comes complete with cartridge.....tell him 3000........just table 2300. However, it is a bit on hold due to what you read earlier. I have some friends that want to go that route and I love to make it happen for them. There is room on the bus for him if he wants to get on board.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 07:58:46 PM by raymonda »

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2017, 12:14:11 AM »
I'm transferring Steely Dan, "Aja" and can make that available for folks to hear what this table and cartridge can do. PM your email and I'll Hightail you a needle drop.

I'm really happy with the sound.

BTW, the power supply will be to me tomorrow. By Saturday it will be installed and the table will then be complete.

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2017, 09:51:19 PM »
The new power supply has been installed. No sound difference but at least the capacitor and resistor is good for another 30 years. It is also much better made than the stock one. I've been enjoying the table. I retransferred Aja last night to reflect the final upgrade and will get it out this week.

I'm completely happy with the outcome and plan on keeping the table, or at least, not actively selling it. I will probably make a second arm board, ala sandwich carbon, balsa. Until then, I'm going to enjoy the heck out of it. It sure look great to my eyes, too. Which encourages me to keep this as long as I can.

Again, I have some needle drops I can get out for those with inquiring ears. Just drop me your email address.

Offline kindms

• The Breakfast
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2017, 10:16:23 AM »
So I have been listening to the needle drop quite a bit in the last few days.

I have to say as someone who doesn't have a lot of record time under the belt, I think I finally get what you guys have been saying all these years.

I mentioned to the wife that I couldn't even tell I was listening to vinyl. the sound was smooth and deep and rich. Dont know how else to describe it i guess.

of course its easy for someone to show you the light with a killer player like this.

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2017, 10:40:05 AM »
Thanks! I'd be glad to Hightail this to others for their listening pleasure and to "finally get it"!

Offline buckster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2017, 12:52:52 PM »
Oh boy......I just finished listening and agree totally with kindms "smooth and deep and rich" sound.  Just gorgeous.  Thanks Ray - much appreciated!   :coolguy:

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2017, 03:17:11 PM »
Glad you like it! A good turntable as a front end is a great investment for both your ears and your soul!

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2017, 07:48:41 PM »
I'm glad to say that 3 others have taken me up on the Aja transfer and hopefully they will be reporting back.

Have a great and safe NYE!

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2017, 12:09:36 AM »
I so much want to try my Ruby 3 on this table. I keep going back and forth from my TD850/Audiomods series 4/ Benz Ruby 3 to this table/arm/cartridge combination and I'm floored on how great the Ruby 3 is. The Ruby 3 is maybe the best investment I've made in audio and I'm sure it would sound killer on this rig, too.

I've recently did a transfer from my 850/Ruby and I'm going to send it out to those that have received the Glider comp. As good as the Glider is the Ruby 3 shows you what an extra 2000 can get you.

Right now I'm spinning Paul Simon's, "Songs from the Capeman" on the TD 150/Ebony-Benz Glider .9 and it sounds really good; creamy smooth, natural timbres and full bodied. Loaded at 47k, so this would work with many MM boards that supply enough gain.

Well, I guess I'm just rambling. Back to listening...........

Offline buckster

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2017, 01:56:56 PM »
I'm not sure my ears will discern the difference, but looking forward to hearing the Ruby 3, especially since the cartridge costs about what I probably paid for my entire He-Man rig!   

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2017, 10:26:07 PM »
Your ears will discern it and it they will thank you!

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2017, 09:56:12 PM »
I bought a table from raymonda and he packs and ships top notch. Any support you need after, he over does what is expected of a seller.
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2017, 07:36:54 PM »
Thank you for the nice words. I try my best!

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2017, 11:08:44 PM »
I have now finalized the set up and build. I fabricated and installed carbon fiber spacers for the arm board. After balancing and adjusting the suspension I put the Dire Striats, "On Ever Street". The table rocks, is very dynamic and revealing in a complimentary way. If I sell my Schoeps I can keep this table. Buy my Schoeps, please!

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2018, 09:36:05 AM »
Aja files sent from Thorens TD850/Origin Live/Audiomods Series 4/AcousTech Ph1P with op amp upgrade/Benz Ruby 3/Grace V3 Oadie Bros mod. recorded at 88.2/24

I'm listening to it on my office system: PeachTree iDecco/ Fiio X3 and modded Celestion SL6S. Sounds nice!

Enjoy!

Offline buckster

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2018, 01:35:46 PM »
Your ears will discern it and it they will thank you!
By jove - you're right!  It's subtle, but there's even more "depth" and richness to the music with the Benz Ruby.  I was doing A/B comparison and the overall effect was that I was more drawn into the music with the Ruby, than the Benz Micro(?).  Nice.  Thanks Ray!   

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2018, 09:19:14 AM »
You pay for that extra 5-7% but it is worth it and addicting!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.19 seconds with 69 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com