Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Active cables and sound quality/sonic transferability  (Read 2323 times)

Offline balou2

• Crippled, but still dancin'
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • He was a friend of mine.
    • Little Mountain Sound Archive
Active cables and sound quality/sonic transferability
« on: September 07, 2006, 11:56:59 PM »
So, the long drawn-out discussion of XLR cable quality takes up large amounts of space on the board.  What I don't EVER see is discussion about variance in active cables.  Is there a difference between various types of active cables?  Is there even such a thing as a "choice" when it comes to actives, and if so, what would those differences be?
Socks are overrated.

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • move along, nothing much to see here
Re: Active cables and sound quality/sonic transferability
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 12:39:48 AM »
i think the 1804a is the wa to go for actives but as far as i know mbhos are the only actives than can easilly be assembeled @ home.  unfortunately there is generally only one source for a particular model of active cables, the manufacturer
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline balou2

• Crippled, but still dancin'
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • He was a friend of mine.
    • Little Mountain Sound Archive
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 01:13:30 AM »
Is that just a compatability thing?  I suppose it make sense, as regular XLRs can me used for a miriad of tasks, where actives have a single use.  Just curious mostly.
Socks are overrated.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 09:19:53 AM »
Most folks aren't willing to mess with their actives, hence the apparent lack of interest in discussing.  I predict that will all dramatically change as the akg actives project progresses.

I think 1804a is too light of a cable for Extended runs. Those are only 28awg conductors and you are using two of them in a balanced config. The shielding is also very low coverage. So there are some RF concerns as well as strength.  The stuff really likes to kink. If you get a single twist loop it won't 'fall out' by lifting the cable.. The jacket also seems to be fairly permeable and easily picks up odors.  I would be very careful about getting it wet with beer, etc.  Covering it with techflex really improves the cable handling behavior.  I love the 1804a for short runs.

The 1804a insulation is polypropylene.. Generally considered inferior to teflon.  There is the school of thought that the teflon insulation is more important than silver clad..

Schoeps active cable is ALL copper, including the shield.  The shield coverage is HEAVY.. Heavier than canare quad or anything else I have seen. Any surprise? This is an unbalanced cable. The cable is designed to not twist when the caps are hung by the cable. The jacket is also really tough.  Both the heavy jacket and shield combine to prevent the cable from developing handling noise issues over years of use. Doug has suggested that the guys at schoeps have golden ears and have carefully chosen the properties of that custom manufactured cable (which is only 3 conductors).

I will be re-doing my schoeps active cables at some point.. I'm running mini start quad today. Still haven't decided whether it will be schoeps or 1804a but probably schoeps for my kc5. I have replaced the old mini star quad for my rmod with 1804a.

Noted mic expert and modifier, Klaus Heyne, has written of his dislike for active buffers in general.  So I guess before the 'what cable' question, is the more fundamental 'can you hear a difference between actives vs. just bodies..

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com