Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: POWEREX MH-C9000 WizardOne Charger-Analyzer ?  (Read 4618 times)

TommyAudio

• Trade Count: (0)
POWEREX MH-C9000 WizardOne Charger-Analyzer ?
« on: April 12, 2014, 12:54:10 AM »
Recently I purchased a POWEREX MH-C9000 WizardOne Charger-Analyzer unit and 4 Imedion 2400mAh rechargeable batteries. When I put the batteries in to rechagre I push charge and it goes to the next step just fine, which is to the "Set Charge Rate". This is where the problem is. The batteries are 2400mAh, but the charger unit will only allow 2000mAh. Any solutions folks. Thank You much.

Offline GLouie

• Taperssection Regular
Re: POWEREX MH-C9000 WizardOne Charger-Analyzer ?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 01:13:46 AM »
2000mA charge current (not mAh) is the max for this charger, which is fine for a 2400mAh battery. It just won't charge as fast as you may like, but 1/2 to 1C is often recommended for NiMH to ensure detecting charge termination. I typically charge 2000mAh Eneloops at 1000mA which helps keep them cooler than if charged at 2000mA.

TommyAudio

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 02:00:56 AM »
I get it now. Thanks very much GLouie.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 03:09:18 PM »
Same charger and batteries here.  I normally charge them at the 1000mA default.

But consider running them through the 'battery forming' break-in mode first, just be aware that it takes a few days to complete.  That will maximize their capacity and indicate the actual tested capacity of each battery on the display when complete.  The next step is to match the cells with the closest capacities as pairs and mark them so you can identify them.  I number the batteries with sequential numbers making up pairs. 1&2 are a pair 3&4, 5&6, etc.  That maximizes the useful output of the pairs, the useful life of the batteries, makes it easier to rotate pairs so they all get used about the same amount, and makes it simple identify which is which.

If down the road you have a question about one of the cells, run the pair through the 'break-in' cycle again, or the faster less intensive 'refresh' cycle.  Both of those modes will display the battery's true capacity once done.  The simple charge mode only displays how much Amperage went into the cell during the charge cycle, not how much the battery can actually output.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

TommyAudio

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 05:51:20 PM »
Same charger and batteries here.  I normally charge them at the 1000mA default.

But consider running them through the 'battery forming' break-in mode first, just be aware that it takes a few days to complete.  That will maximize their capacity and indicate the actual tested capacity of each battery on the display when complete.  The next step is to match the cells with the closest capacities as pairs and mark them so you can identify them.  I number the batteries with sequential numbers making up pairs. 1&2 are a pair 3&4, 5&6, etc.  That maximizes the useful output of the pairs, the useful life of the batteries, makes it easier to rotate pairs so they all get used about the same amount, and makes it simple identify which is which.

If down the road you have a question about one of the cells, run the pair through the 'break-in' cycle again, or the faster less intensive 'refresh' cycle.  Both of those modes will display the battery's true capacity once done.  The simple charge mode only displays how much Amperage went into the cell during the charge cycle, not how much the battery can actually output.

Thanks for your input. I did form them and yep it did take a while. And I did match them and number them and use them as a pair. The refresh cycle is good to know about the true capacity. What I was doing was, when charging them I misread the instructions for charge current as the mAh of the battery, so I kept thinking it only went up to 2000 and I have 2400's. I now get it that it's the charge current. No wonder they were hot when I took them off. Plus it only seemed to take minutes to charge. I'm all caught up on procedure now. Thanks to you and everyone else for their input.

Offline Red Boink

• Trade Count: (27)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 11:34:11 AM »
The default is 2000 for AA, but you can change it to any value when setting up just use the up and down arrows to the value.  I've been using the 9000 since it came out, still working great.

Offline Since85

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 01:12:17 PM »
I have heard that you do not want to use the "conditioning" cycles for the low discharge type of batteries, just the standard type of rechargeable battery. Do not know if this is true or not.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 02:19:24 PM »
Why not?  Curious about the reasoning there.

I do, and when I have done so with older or sub-performing low self discharge batteries it has increased the battery's capacity significantly. 
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.094 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com