Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Superlux SMKH8K>UA-5>JB3-------What cables do I need?  (Read 3283 times)

Offline charles

• W/O Rig but Hopeful
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • BrownMountainLight.Net
Superlux SMKH8K>UA-5>JB3-------What cables do I need?
« on: October 28, 2004, 11:26:22 PM »
I've been researching a setup to start with and it looks like I might go with this. What cables do I need and where is the cheapest place to get them. I'm trying to price everything up before I go ahead with it.
W/O Rig but Hopeful

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: Superlux SMKH8K>UA-5>JB3-------What cables do I need?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2004, 11:54:02 PM »
You'll need some XLRf tp XLRm for the mics to the UA5, and you'll need a toslink to miniplug optical cable for the UA5 to JB3. I'd look for everything in the Yard Sale some good deals on cables usually.
we are the people the rescuers will never find

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • Needs to get out more...
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2004, 02:18:45 AM »
marc (leegeddy) makes awesome cables for a very reasonable price.  also, i do believe that ian stone is making cables now too.  or you could make your own, canare star quad with neutrik ends for probably around $30-$40.  how good are you at soldering?

that'll get you from the mics to the ua-5.  from the ua-5 to the jb3, you'll need an optical cable.  i don't know how high tech of a cable you want, you could probably find a monster look-a-like thats pretty decent and fat from ebay from anywhere between $5 - $30.

You'll need a normal toslink on one end that connects to the ua-5 and a mini on the other.  you can find cables that are like this, but you can achieve the same thing with a normal toslink on both ends and a toslink>mini adapter for the side that goes into the jb3.  usually they can be had for cheap, around $.99 on ebay.

i used to run the same setup, i loved the superlux mics, they sound great for the price.  i ran starquads and just a beefy off-brand optical cable.

good luck.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline 1st set only

• you are what you is
    • Don Poulsen Illustration and Graphic Design
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2004, 08:42:38 PM »
I would also highly recomend this toslink cable
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=180-945
and this mini adapter
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=180-968
the cable is only 1.5 feet which is great for stealth and bulk control

d
the show is over go home please.

Offline rdptha2nd

• Taperssection Regular
  • "Jazz is not dead...it just smells funny." - Zappa
    • Check Out Namaste!!!
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2004, 01:52:28 PM »
I run the same setup.  If you have any specific questions just pm me or email me at r.pitman@sbcglobal.net.  I would be glad to help.

I have an extra mini optical adapter to run in to the JB3 if you want it.  Just let me know.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2004, 01:54:34 PM by rdptha2nd »
Recording: ADK A-51TL and/or Superlux SMKH8K > Digimod UA5 > Nomad JB3
Transfer: Nomad JB3 > Firewire > Nomad Explorer > T-Racks 2.0 > Soungforge 5.0 > CD WAV > FLAC Frontend

Check out http://www.namastemusic.com and/or http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=namaste

Offline Nomad

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2005, 03:01:31 PM »
This is the thread I needed ;D ;D
Its the terror of knowing what the world is about. Wathcing some good friends screaming let me out.

Superlux CM-H8K> Wmod Ua-5> JB3

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2005, 04:45:43 PM »
Yeah, I also run this exact same setup. It's pretty easy to make your own mic cables.. if you have any soldering experience at all, you should be able to do it no problem, unless you do right angle connectors. Mine are all straight, and were very easy to do. People recommend the SP optical cables, but I think they're fairly expensive when you factor in shipping costs. Just go to your local best buy or other electronics store and buy a fairly rugged looking optical cable which optimally might come with adapters. That's what I did... grabbed a beefy RCA brand cable.. it was white and came with 2 adapters. Go with canare star quads and neutrik ends for the mic cables and I've heard many good things about leegeddy's cables. The pics I've seen of his soldering skill are impressive. If he can give you a reasonable price, go that route. I ordered my stuff from markertek and got royally screwed so it depends... anyways, welcome to team Lux > Ua-5 > Jb3... get some taping goin'!

Offline Nomad

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2005, 04:50:43 PM »
Is Leggedy around much. Just havent seen him but then Ive only been here a week.
Its the terror of knowing what the world is about. Wathcing some good friends screaming let me out.

Superlux CM-H8K> Wmod Ua-5> JB3

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2005, 09:14:14 PM »
As far as I know, he usually makes a few posts every day. If you contact him directly, he'll get back to you quickly.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com