Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: $3000 cable using stock Home Depot wire...  (Read 12209 times)

Offline Weirdness

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • ...driftin' and dreamin'...
$3000 cable using stock Home Depot wire...
« on: July 28, 2005, 06:21:37 PM »
Funny story.  I was just talking to a guy who works at Stereovox cable in Florida and he was telling me that they buy esoteric cables all the time and dissect them to see their designs etc.  Said that it was amazing to see how many high end highly regarded cable manufacturers use very run of the mill cable in their designs.  Of course, he couldn't name names, but apparently they took a cable apart that was worth $3000 and found that the same cable could be found at the Home Depot for several zeros less.  Funny shit, I guess there's lots of snake oil out there...

Anyways, apparently this Stereovox HDXV cable is excellent for 75ohm digital applications, it's the same guy who designed the Kimber D60 quite awhile back, often regarded as being one of the best especially when it first came out.  The guy also said that if you have a BNC input or output on any of your gear, that using a direct BNC connection will make a big improvement.   I'll post back if it makes a dramatic difference over the Audio Magic cable that I'm currently using. 

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: $3000 cable using stock Home Depot wire...
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005, 06:50:25 PM »
I've heard very similiar things...

edit to add: look at the price differences in the bettercables.com speaker cables and Leegeddy's... they are pretty much identical cables and Marc's cost around $200-250 less.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline leegeddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 06:57:09 PM »
Funny story.  I was just talking to a guy who works at Stereovox cable in Florida and he was telling me that they buy esoteric cables all the time and dissect them to see their designs etc.  Said that it was amazing to see how many high end highly regarded cable manufacturers use very run of the mill cable in their designs.  Of course, he couldn't name names, but apparently they took a cable apart that was worth $3000 and found that the same cable could be found at the Home Depot for several zeros less.  Funny shit, I guess there's lots of snake oil out there...

Anyways, apparently this Stereovox HDXV cable is excellent for 75ohm digital applications, it's the same guy who designed the Kimber D60 quite awhile back, often regarded as being one of the best especially when it first came out.  The guy also said that if you have a BNC input or output on any of your gear, that using a direct BNC connection will make a big improvement.   I'll post back if it makes a dramatic difference over the Audio Magic cable that I'm currently using. 

two words....

Monster Cables

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline Krispy D

• my recordings on LMA
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 09:15:09 PM »
monster cables = monster profits
 ;)
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2005, 11:05:30 PM »
 ;)

monster cables = great marketing.  gotta hand it to noel.

http://www.monstercable.com/company_info/
we all live downstream.

Offline Bdifr78

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2005, 11:20:22 PM »
 ;)

monster cables = great marketing.  gotta hand it to noel.

http://www.monstercable.com/company_info/

I have to agree there.  He is one smart or lucky son of a bitch...

He stole the entire market of people who don't know shit, which is mostly everyone.  I have chosen a career within AV retail, and it is amazing how much profit is in those damn things.  People want their stuff to sound and look better and I can honestly say that i can atleast see a difference in a monster component cable and a component cable you would get at radio shack for almost the same price, so people are willing to pay 5-10% of the total purchase on those extras that get them "the most" out of their investment.  And most of the time people don't get the cables you need in the box of a component or HTIB, and if they do they're complete shit.  So they need to buy something, and somehow monster got literally every retailer to push their product.  Genius!

Monster certainly is not a good value by any stretch of the imagination.  I just dig what the company did.  I guess that's the retailer in me talking. >:D...

:-[
Neumann KM140s>Bumblebee MIAGI-II XLRs>Lunatec V3>SD722

Offline Evil Taper

• Going pro...no time for taping now
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2005, 07:20:43 AM »
Where else can you find an HDMI cable though?  I was looking around everywhere and the only other option to Monster Cable was RCA for about $30 less.  I did end up buying a used Monster HDMI for $50 shipped on ebay though ... so not too bad.
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2005, 09:53:29 AM »
I equate Monster to Absolute Vodaka...crappy product disguised by good marketing campaigns
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2005, 10:13:09 AM »
I equate monster to Lionel Hutz.  kings of the frivolous lawsuit.  uh oh--might get sued for typing monster without their permission  :o

And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline Krispy D

• my recordings on LMA
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2005, 06:39:58 PM »
I equate Monster to Absolute Vodaka...crappy product disguised by good marketing campaigns

I agree with your analogy but crappy might be a little extreme...   Both absolute and monster are decent products.  far from the best but not bttom rung either.  'decent' stuff + good marketing = killer profits.

kris
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline Bdifr78

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2005, 08:00:30 PM »
I love profits ;D

Why can't I come up with a simple product with extreme profit margins and a great marketing campaign?  It seems easy enough right ;)
Neumann KM140s>Bumblebee MIAGI-II XLRs>Lunatec V3>SD722

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2005, 01:03:28 PM »
Is there a "how to" anywhere for running the Home Depot wires to-and-from your speakers? or is it easier than I think?
"Absurdity is the only reality." - FZ

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2005, 01:13:27 PM »
It's easier than you think.  That said, I don't buy that someone was rebranding hd cable and asking 3 grand for a second, at least not anyone with the slightest amount of integrity.  There is a low more to speaker cable than wire anyway, at least, in my opinion.
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline Tim

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2005, 01:21:32 PM »
Is there a "how to" anywhere for running the Home Depot wires to-and-from your speakers? or is it easier than I think?

cut the male and female plugs off

cut the cable into whatever length you desire for your speaker cables

trim back the orange jacket and expose the colored wires, there will be 3 colors... designate 1 for negative and 1 for positive and disregard the 3rd. it makes no difference which you use just make sure that you remember which is which when connecting them to your amp and speakers
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2005, 06:04:02 PM »
It's easier than you think.  That said, I don't buy that someone was rebranding hd cable and asking 3 grand for a second, at least not anyone with the slightest amount of integrity.  There is a low more to speaker cable than wire anyway, at least, in my opinion.

thanks man. -T ;)

cut the male and female plugs off

cut the cable into whatever length you desire for your speaker cables

trim back the orange jacket and expose the colored wires, there will be 3 colors... designate 1 for negative and 1 for positive and disregard the 3rd. it makes no difference which you use just make sure that you remember which is which when connecting them to your amp and speakers

thanks man. +T
"Absurdity is the only reality." - FZ

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com