Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Vinyl -> FLAC transfers with a Sony PCM-M10: advice/thoughts?  (Read 4714 times)

Offline rappard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Vinyl -> FLAC transfers with a Sony PCM-M10: advice/thoughts?
« on: October 21, 2015, 08:23:27 AM »
Considering the number of M10 users on this forum I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. Normally a friend does vinyl -> 24/96 FLAC transfers for me, but it's time to be a big boy ;-) and have a go myself at the various vinyl bootlegs (Pixies, R.E.M., Sonic Youth) I have.

Current setup is:
* Rega P3-24 + Ortofon 2M Blue/Red + Heed Orbit 1
* Creek 5350SE with Creek phono board (still have to look up which one)

I'm thinking of getting a Sony PCM-M10 and run an RCA -> 3.5 mm cable into the line-in of the M10 to grab 24/96 WAV files. Has anyone tried something similar, and/or sees problems with this approach?

Of course I could get a dedicated phono -> USB stage (e.g., a Rega Fono Mini A2D), but the obvious advantages of the above setup are that I could also use the M10 if/when my Edirol R-09 goes kaputt, and I wouldn't have to move my computer next to the turntable.

--Martin

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: Vinyl -> FLAC transfers with a Sony PCM-M10: advice/thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 09:34:35 AM »
I do it all the time. Works great for me.

I'm sure this isn't the greatest way to "archive" vinyl, but I do it mostly for records that have unique tracks, or mastering.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 02:01:34 PM »
You can do this but 16/44.1 is all you need, 24/96 is a waste, won't sound any better.
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline Packgrog

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 10:15:29 AM »
I'm also curious to try this, even though I already have an audio interface for my computer, simply because I'm concerned that my computer itself may be adding electrical noise that could be negatively impacting the recording quality. I could be wrong, too, so I'd just like to TRY it. Can't afford the blind buy of a M10 just for a demo that might end up disappointing, though. :/

And to edtyre, I disagree that 24/96 would be a waste, if any edits are going to be done on the final recording (ie: declicking). I've noticed subtle differences in converted redbook files recorded at 24/96 and 24/192 respectively, but that's a whole separate discussion. :P

ilduclo

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 05:01:27 PM »
2nd to 24 bit, but I do 24/44.1 to d50. Works good. Also works for cassette to digital

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 01:42:27 PM »
I have a big box of esoteric 1980's punk rock vinyl that I transferred using a Sony turntable, a V3 and a R44.  After I finished them all I carefully packaged them all up and sent them on to my audiophile buddy in Baltimore.  The gear that he used sounded far superior to what I used.

Sony PS-555-ES (Ortofon MB-15 Super II cartridge) > Denon HA-1000 MC Cartridge Head amplifier with external power supply > Furutech's ADL Esprit high performance 24-bit, 192 kHz stereo DAC/Digi pre with King-Rex
DC power modual and King-Rex USB "Y" splitter. Signal recorded via WavLab 6. FLAC performed by Traders Little Helper

I still run EVERYTHING through iZotope RX4 Advanced and would much prefer to do that in high resolution than low.

I balk when people tell me not to use 24/96.  If you are going to digitize an analog signal and you have the drive space then why not run 24/96??
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 09:23:03 PM »
I balk when people tell me not to use 24/96.  If you are going to digitize an analog signal and you have the drive space then why not run 24/96??
Cause it doesn't sound any different than 16/44.1.When i am recording vinyl i have precise control over the levels and not looking to change (DSP)
the files, i only run a slight de-click/de-crackle over some of the recordings, thats it. I won't argue if people have results they are happy with, just
saying you can do 16/44.1 and have stellar results.
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline Packgrog

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 09:08:22 AM »
Dude, my vinyl recordings get changed to 32-bit float for declicking. Anything else changes the sound quite audibly, especially in the highs. If you're not as picky about trying to keep as close to the original recording as possible, then more power to you and your saved drive space, but don't deny the trade-offs. :P

That said, I do convert these recordings to redbook for most listening (ie: my iPhone), and with a good resampler and dither algorithm (I use iZotope RX 3), the redbook sounds extremely close to the declicked 32/192 files that I work from. When generated with care, 16/44 is all you really need for listening, but hi-res really is valuable for keeping edits as transparent as possible.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 12:58:05 PM »
Dude, my vinyl recordings get changed to 32-bit float for declicking.

Most good audio editors will use 32bfp during processing, anyway.  That's really a different issue than what bit depth / sample rate is sufficient during transfer.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com