Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Voltage Regulator Questions for JB3  (Read 2281 times)

Offline Ian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
Voltage Regulator Questions for JB3
« on: June 10, 2005, 12:13:04 AM »
Hey, I've got one of them TO-220 voltage regulators for dropping a an increased voltage input to 5v. It's from Radio Shack and has three prongs, one is input, one is ground, the other is output. I have a 12v battery that I'm working with. I have the regulator inline with the + cable from the battery. So I have a + line comming from the battery to the input on the regulator, then I have the middle prong grounded to a piece of metal, then I have the + line comming out from the output prong on the regulator. Well, it's supposed to bring it down to 5v, but I have the 12v going to like 10.6v. I bought a second regulator, assuming the first was fried, and it does the exact same thing, leading me to believe I've done something wrong. Any and all help is appreciated. I can post pics if that helps to clarify things, just ask. Also, I just broke open my cell phone car charger, and have the JB3 running off remote power for going on 6 hours...and I'm only 3/4 of the way dead on my Eco-Charge. Peace, -Ian
Peluso CEMC-6(matched pair)->V3(optical)->JB3 (16bit, 44.1khz)

Offline Ian

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Voltage Regulator Questions for JB3
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2005, 02:55:33 PM »
Here's a pic of what I'm dealing with:

Any ideas why it only drops to 10.6V and not fully to 5V?

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2005, 05:00:18 PM »
Here's a pic of what I'm dealing with:

Any ideas why it only drops to 10.6V and not fully to 5V?

did you draw a schematic? your imput ground should be common with the output ground.

i really can't see anything from the photo except for pin2 soldered to the aluminum plate.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline Ian

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2005, 02:04:01 AM »
Thanks Marc for all you're help. I've finally created a proper voltage regulator, as I had originally wanted to make, and will have an extremely nice finished product to present tomorrow evening. Thanks again!  ;D Peace, -Ian

Offline Busman Audio

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 12:47:51 PM »
Can you show what you did to finish this. I am looking to make one.
Busman mics of all kinds>some type of busman modified recorder.

"Just Mod It"

Offline tms

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2005, 02:54:40 PM »
Hey, I've got one of them TO-220 voltage regulators for dropping a an increased voltage input to 5v. It's from Radio Shack and has three prongs, one is input, one is ground, the other is output. I have a 12v battery that I'm working with. I have the regulator inline with the + cable from the battery. So I have a + line comming from the battery to the input on the regulator, then I have the middle prong grounded to a piece of metal, then I have the + line comming out from the output prong on the regulator. Well, it's supposed to bring it down to 5v, but I have the 12v going to like 10.6v. I bought a second regulator, assuming the first was fried, and it does the exact same thing, leading me to believe I've done something wrong. Any and all help is appreciated. I can post pics if that helps to clarify things, just ask. Also, I just broke open my cell phone car charger, and have the JB3 running off remote power for going on 6 hours...and I'm only 3/4 of the way dead on my Eco-Charge. Peace, -Ian

I don't think you have it connected right.  + and - from the battery solder to two pins on the 7805.  The output pin on the 7805 is +5V referenced to the - terminal on the battery.  It's a common ground.  Don't solder it to the plate you're mounting the 7805 to, it's just a heat sink. 

Battery +12 ------------------------ +Vin on 7805
Battery -(Ground)----------------  - or ground on 7805
+Vout on 7805 -------------------- +5 volts, solder to connector for JB3
Battery -(Ground)------------------ Common ground, solder to connector for JB3
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Ben Franklin

SP-CMC-4 (AT853) > SP battery box > Edirol R-09

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com