Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Any Canon HV20/30 users here?  (Read 16149 times)

Offline Liquid Drum

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Any Canon HV20/30 users here?
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2009, 02:58:25 PM »
I'm using a PAL cam, so recorded in 25fps (Progressive). Manual exposure and manual focus.

Will be filming with permission/open beginning of May, so looking forward to great results.
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Video: Canon HV20 E

Offline fanofthemule

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2009, 11:01:41 AM »
I have decided to give up on getting good audio and am leaving that to the the pros, that said I am going to look for another HV20 to use as a B-Roll. 

Nice!  If you have two camera's, that's even better.  I've got two low-def Sony PC-100s.  What I like to do is setup on two tripods and have the two cameras rolling, each camera with a different perspective of the stage.  Then what you do is just sorta wander between each camera during the show to get your raw footage.  However, the key is that whenever you leave one of the cameras unattended, before you leave it, you pan back so that camera is the camera that's got the whole stage in view.  This way the unattended camera won't be shooting a scene with nothing in it because say you're focused in on the the guitar player and he wanders to another part of the stage.  Obviously, the camera that you're operating is actively zooming and panning the action, getting close-ups of solo's, keying in on the actual music that's happening as it's being played.  With this raw footage shot using this technique, mixing the video in post with Vegas is the most important thing, but you'll always have two scene's to choose from.  Makes for a really dynamic video that's never boring or tiring to watch, like the static shot single cam vids are.  The guys that are REALLY good also will use the fade function of Vegas where you mix two scenes together at appropriate spots of the video...using a really slow fade say during a solo where one camera is spotlighting on the guitar and the other is maybe panned back.  You know what I'm talking about...where there are two video's on the screen at one time and one slowly fades in as the other slowly fades out.  Cool!

Instead of two different places I just have the two cameras in one spot.  I leave one on the whole stage as a static shot and the other camera I pan and zoom with.  It may not give as much perspective but it is a lot less hassle than setting up in two different areas if I'm the only one running the cameras.  I usually set up behind the raised soundboard area and run mics from there as well.

I have one HV20 and one HV30 and have been using them since the beginning of the year.  I'm just now getting around to capturing some of the footage and have run into a lot of hassles.  I can capture the footage in DVR-MS, M2T and M2V formats but not mpeg or avi.  Mpeg and AVI seem to be universal while these other formats aren't.  What programs are you using to capture AVI or MPEG files from your cams?  I found a program (m2v converter) that will convert the files but am looking to avoid the extra step.
Sony PCM-M10

Fostex FR2LE Busman TMod

Superlux S502 ORTF

Offline tailschao

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2009, 12:04:52 PM »
I have decided to give up on getting good audio and am leaving that to the the pros, that said I am going to look for another HV20 to use as a B-Roll. 

Nice!  If you have two camera's, that's even better.  I've got two low-def Sony PC-100s.  What I like to do is setup on two tripods and have the two cameras rolling, each camera with a different perspective of the stage.  Then what you do is just sorta wander between each camera during the show to get your raw footage.  However, the key is that whenever you leave one of the cameras unattended, before you leave it, you pan back so that camera is the camera that's got the whole stage in view.  This way the unattended camera won't be shooting a scene with nothing in it because say you're focused in on the the guitar player and he wanders to another part of the stage.  Obviously, the camera that you're operating is actively zooming and panning the action, getting close-ups of solo's, keying in on the actual music that's happening as it's being played.  With this raw footage shot using this technique, mixing the video in post with Vegas is the most important thing, but you'll always have two scene's to choose from.  Makes for a really dynamic video that's never boring or tiring to watch, like the static shot single cam vids are.  The guys that are REALLY good also will use the fade function of Vegas where you mix two scenes together at appropriate spots of the video...using a really slow fade say during a solo where one camera is spotlighting on the guitar and the other is maybe panned back.  You know what I'm talking about...where there are two video's on the screen at one time and one slowly fades in as the other slowly fades out.  Cool!

Instead of two different places I just have the two cameras in one spot.  I leave one on the whole stage as a static shot and the other camera I pan and zoom with.  It may not give as much perspective but it is a lot less hassle than setting up in two different areas if I'm the only one running the cameras.  I usually set up behind the raised soundboard area and run mics from there as well.

I have one HV20 and one HV30 and have been using them since the beginning of the year.  I'm just now getting around to capturing some of the footage and have run into a lot of hassles.  I can capture the footage in DVR-MS, M2T and M2V formats but not mpeg or avi.  Mpeg and AVI seem to be universal while these other formats aren't.  What programs are you using to capture AVI or MPEG files from your cams?  I found a program (m2v converter) that will convert the files but am looking to avoid the extra step.
(When done correctly) Standard DV is captured in an .avi container. HDV is captured as MPEG-2 inside an .m2t container. Really, don't do it any other way. If you try to capture HDV in any other format it will re-encode it on-the-fly - you do not want to do that. Capture using HDVSplit (if on windows). Any decent piece of software will have zero problems with HDV MPEG-2 inside .m2t. What program are you trying to use to work with the video that does not work with the m2t files?

Offline fanofthemule

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2009, 12:36:00 PM »
I can't get the M2T files to work with Vegas Movie Studio 8.0 or Pinnacle Studio Ultimate Version 12.  I can capture M2V files with the Pinnacle SUV12 software and author the footage with it, but I need to be able to capture the footage in a format that others can use it without hassle, and it seems like the M2T and M2V files cause a lot of hassles but the mpeg and avi files don't.

Has anyone used software to do these conversions?  The "Ultimate Video Converter" software looks like it would work but I'm not sure if this conversion causes any loss in quality.

http://www.m2vconverter.com/m2tconverter.htm
Sony PCM-M10

Fostex FR2LE Busman TMod

Superlux S502 ORTF

Offline Liquid Drum

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2009, 01:11:23 PM »
I wouldn't trust any conversions, best to try capture right in one go.

I've always captured HDV using Ulead Video Studio 10. This started with my old Sony HDR-HC5 cam and I filmed around 7 shows with that and captured to MPEG-2 every time. I only recently got rid of that cam and purchased my Canon HV20 in its place. First show I filmed I decided to try capture with my new program Sony Vegas. It didn't capture to mpeg-2 but to M2T files instead. At first I wondered what the hell M2T was but after some some searching I found it's just a container of Mpeg2 files. So I captured to M2T and then edited my footage and all seemed fine until I tried to render the final video. It kept getting stuck on 96% every time in the exact same place. At first I thought it could be a dropped frame or something but on the tape it was clean and when I captured it said no frames were dropped.

So after more research I found a program called HDVSplit and decided to get my tapes back out and capture a 2nd time... Once again it captured to M2T but I captured fully anyway to see if I could now render my video. It got stuck in the exact frame once again and at 96%.

I said screw that and went back to what I know works - ULEAD 10. I captured a 3rd time, this time in proper mpeg-2 format and then rendered my video and it worked first time. For some reason the M2T format was fucking up Vegas somehow and I think I'll just stick to using Ulead to capture and only using Vegas to edit in future.
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Video: Canon HV20 E

Online beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2009, 12:29:39 PM »
@fanofthemule,   are you wanting to use standard def or keep it HDV?If HDV than you will have m2t files.How will you deliver ?Bluray?I don't know off hand if movie studio handles hdv or not it should though.Mostly depends on your processor,you need 2.6ghz or better.What i would recommend is capture useing HDVsplit or the internal vegas capture.Render those m2t files to standard def widescreen,do all your edits and than replace the standard def with original m2t files.There are extra steps with HDV footage and you need a very fast computer.

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2009, 10:10:14 PM »
most definitely!  although i got into the digi cam world for one purpose: my trip last year.  I love the HV20, but wished i used it more.
the best forum i have found is www.hv20.com for anything relating to pre/post production.
i've posted my vids on vimeo.com:  www.vimeo.com/lucksp
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

Offline sullen

• Taperssection Member
don't > care > to > list > gear > in > signature

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2009, 11:29:15 PM »
Anyone using a zoom lens with the HV30?  I'd like to get one to increase the optical zoom.  I've done some searching around at various websites, but haven't found much.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline sullen

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2009, 11:49:51 AM »
any 43mm diamater telephoto should work
getting mine monday, cant wait

Online beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2009, 01:24:17 PM »
I've found the hv30 to be extremely sensitive to lound sound vibrations,making the picture vibrate.Anyone else notice this.Great little cam though with one touch of the joystick up comes the mini menu for exposure and manual audio control.In the menu there is also a mic attenuator.The color is amazing in good lighting.

Offline sullen

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2009, 03:50:18 PM »
How much attenuation does it provide?
Would it attenuate enough for something like rock shows using an external like 4061s?

My other cam, still had to run something in between the mics and cam.
Would be great if it could eliminate one more thing to carry around.

Offline Josh P

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2009, 10:01:55 PM »
Anyone using a zoom lens with the HV30?  I'd like to get one to increase the optical zoom.  I've done some searching around at various websites, but haven't found much.

I bought this one and it is a beast, http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/485491-REG/Canon_2071B001_TL_H43_43mm_1_7x_Telephoto.html.  At least half the length of the camera itself.  Haven't used it but it came highly recommended.

EDIT: and I just measured with a ruler, it is 2.75" long, not 2" like the specs say on bandh.  The thing is massive.

EDIT#2: Still looking for a wide lense if anyone has anyone recs?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 10:06:24 PM by Josh P »

Offline pjdavep

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2009, 06:27:19 PM »

What kind of manual settings do you guys use for concert shooting?  I have an HF10 and I'm going to shoot some concert footage...starts while it's still light outside, then continuing to dark.  When filming shows at night, what are some good settings to start with?

Later,
   pjdavep
Recording: DPA 4061s > DPA MMA-6000 > R-09

Playback office: Denon 2200 > Grace 901 > Sennheiser 650's (all Cardas cabling)
            home: Onkyo SP-800 > Denon 887 > Odyssey HT-3 SE > Von Schweikert VR-2  (Kimber Select IC's and Bifocal XL spkr cables)

Offline fanofthemule

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2009, 01:27:30 PM »
@fanofthemule,   are you wanting to use standard def or keep it HDV?If HDV than you will have m2t files.How will you deliver ?Bluray?I don't know off hand if movie studio handles hdv or not it should though.Mostly depends on your processor,you need 2.6ghz or better.What i would recommend is capture useing HDVsplit or the internal vegas capture.Render those m2t files to standard def widescreen,do all your edits and than replace the standard def with original m2t files.There are extra steps with HDV footage and you need a very fast computer.

My short term plan is to stick with the SD until the HD / bluray is more affordable.

Can someone correct me if I'm wrong with this process?

*  Capture the m2t file
*  Edit the m2t file
*  Render the final edit to SD widescreen
*  Burn to DVD

Would I just be able to save the final edit and render this to HD when it's more affordable?

Sorry to get off topic, I've done a lot of filming but no editing and need to get this process down.
Sony PCM-M10

Fostex FR2LE Busman TMod

Superlux S502 ORTF

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com