Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Power Adapter and Rechargeable Battery Adapter for Sonosax SX-M2?  (Read 9084 times)

Offline Scuzzi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Anyone have a link or recommendation on how to power the sax via plugging in and also any external rechargeable battery options?  I'm getting tired of spending a fortune on 9volt batteries.  Thanks.

Offline dennisrtyler

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Needs to get out more...
4. im so abrasive i make sandpaper nervous.

Schoeps CMR/mk4 > Naiant PFA > Oade Concert Mod Marantz PMD-661

Offline Scuzzi

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: Power Adapter and Rechargeable Battery Adapter for Sonosax SX-M2?
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 04:02:35 PM »
That will do the trick?  Any idea what the full runtime is?

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 04:20:09 PM »
I always wonder how clean the power is from batteries that employ regulator circuits to tweak the voltage.  Obviously, it depends on the regulator.  And fwiw, my 9v wally battery is regulated.  The lion's that power the 7xx recorders are not (voltage drops with discharge).

Of course some gear will be more sensitive to power variations.. But what gear?

I posted noise floor FFT's comparing a 110 volt powered pre-amp running on wall a/c vs. a cheapo inverter, and the difference was dramatic.  It'd be interesting to see more analysis like that.

Offline dennisrtyler

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 04:28:39 PM »
That will do the trick?  Any idea what the full runtime is?
i believe sonosax quoted 42-50 hours depending on whether you run the batt on 16 or 19v

Offline dennisrtyler

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 04:30:44 PM »
Question to Sonosax:
What is the draw of the SX-M2 and SX-M2/LS when providing 48V phantom power?  I am using them both with Schoeps.

I was reading the specs on the unit and this is what I concluded:

External
 :
12V DC to 24V DC, minimum 30mA, maximum 80mA - I guess this means that the the max it will consume is 80mA at 24V, so if this is the case, and the external battery I orderd is 4000mAh (19V or 16V). then 4000mAh/80mA = 50hours of run time on the external battery.
I am planning on running it at 19V but what would the run time be if I changed it to 16V? Would 16V affect the sound at all?

Their answer:

thank you for your message
Effectively the SX-M2 will draw max 80mA under 24V, however allow a short slightly higher current draw at power-up.
The average draw is aprox 50 to 60mA
You calculation is correct, but bear in mind that it is a purely theoretical value and may vary according the effective battery capacity.
The Schoeps microphone are usually drawing around 4mA under 48V => aprox 190mWatt => roughly said 400mW for a pair of Schoeps.
This represent aprox 25mA under 19V if we consider aprox 85% efficiency in the DC/DC converter that produce the 48V Phantom.
The efficiency in the SX-M2 is higher but I take this figure for safety.

If you change from 19Volts to 16 Volts the theoretical running time should be around 16% shorter => 42 hours instead of 50hours
Reducing the voltage does not affect the sonic performance at all, in fact it will sound excatly the same
but you will get a slightly lower headroom as the overall dynamic will be reduced by aprox 1,5 dB to 2 dB max
...somehow negligible as this is less than 2% of the max dynamic range of the SX-M2

I hope this answer your questions
Kind regards

Pierre Blanc
SONOSAX
Sales and Customer Support

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN

Offline Scuzzi

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 01:09:48 PM »
After successfully using the BatterySpace Powerizer mentioned in this thread for the last year it died on me a week ago.

I spoke to BatterySpace and they told me they couldn't service the unit and also indicated that if I purchased another one that it was pretty old technology.

I'm wondering if anyone has seen anything newer that might work, or is this unit still the best option?

Offline hammerhorror

• Trade Count: (54)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Hey good lookin'
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 12:59:18 PM »
After successfully using the BatterySpace Powerizer mentioned in this thread for the last year it died on me a week ago.

I spoke to BatterySpace and they told me they couldn't service the unit and also indicated that if I purchased another one that it was pretty old technology.

I'm wondering if anyone has seen anything newer that might work, or is this unit still the best option?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/503090-REG/Tekkeon_MP3450_MP3450_myPower_ALL_Universal.html

I use this battery with my Sonosax and it works great! It is very well made and worth the price in my opinion.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & MK41, AKG CK63 (Naiant Actives)

Preamps: Naiant KCY Littlebox

Recorders: Sound Devices 664, Sony PCM-M10

Offline brianp

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Shows I've taped on LMA
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 11:25:21 AM »

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/503090-REG/Tekkeon_MP3450_MP3450_myPower_ALL_Universal.html

I use this battery with my Sonosax and it works great! It is very well made and worth the price in my opinion.

Are you able to use the cable that came with it, or did you have to have a custom cable made?
SBD>MR>C>D>CD>EAC>SHN

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 03:19:28 PM »
I have 8 of these Powerex 9.6V rechargeable batteries and love them. I would think they would work well on the Sonosax if you don't mind using internal bats.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=125761.0
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline brianp

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 03:55:12 PM »
I have 8 of these Powerex 9.6V rechargeable batteries and love them. I would think they would work well on the Sonosax if you don't mind using internal bats.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=125761.0

I tried them in 2004 when they originally came out and had bad luck with them in the SX-M2. Some shows they would make it through, other times they would fail after about an hour. I sold them on ebay shortly after.
SBD>MR>C>D>CD>EAC>SHN

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 05:15:01 PM »
Are you sure those were the same batteries as these? I think these are fairly new and have a measured voltage when fully charged of around 11. The "9V" rechargeable batteries that people had tried actually measured around 8.4V and dropped off from there. These ones last around 3.5-4 hours in my Nbox, same as a standard 9V.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline hammerhorror

• Trade Count: (54)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Hey good lookin'
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 07:26:10 PM »

Are you able to use the cable that came with it, or did you have to have a custom cable made?

I'm able to use the cable that comes with the Tekkeon battery, but none of the included tips fit the power input of the Sonosax so you will need to buy one of these tips from Radio Shack. The tip below will fit the cable that comes with the Tekkeon battery, no modification is required.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3807939
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & MK41, AKG CK63 (Naiant Actives)

Preamps: Naiant KCY Littlebox

Recorders: Sound Devices 664, Sony PCM-M10

Offline brianp

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2010, 08:15:56 PM »
Hammerhorror: thanks for the info, I'm gonna buy one of those batteries. I'm sick of buying and adding 9 volts to the landfill.

Johnw: You're right, those probably are a little stronger than the ones I bought back in 2004.
SBD>MR>C>D>CD>EAC>SHN

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.114 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com