Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Nak CM300 Modifications  (Read 3698 times)

Offline jmitchell

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
Nak CM300 Modifications
« on: July 07, 2016, 09:32:39 PM »
I recently got a set of Nak 300s, and was doing a little reading on the couple of different mods that folks had used on them.  I sent a couple of messages to a couple of people, but I am not sure how active they are and not sure if they will get the messages.  Who can I contact to do the modifications?  Ideally I would like to be able to use 48v phantom.  I have several of the 9v batteries ordered, but would like to make them a little more user friendly to me.

Thanks
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 09:46:15 PM by jmitchell »
AKG C451E, CK1, CK22, CK3
Telefunken M60, TK60, TK62
Studio Projects C4 Cards & Omni
CA-14 Cards & Omni
Audioroot Femto, Sound Devices MixPre-D
Sound Devices MixPre-6, Zoom F8n, Roland R-05

Offline Life In Rewind

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
Re: Nak CM300 Modifications
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 10:45:21 AM »
I recently got a set of Nak 300s, and was doing a little reading on the couple of different mods that folks had used on them.  I sent a couple of messages to a couple of people, but I am not sure how active they are and not sure if they will get the messages.  Who can I contact to do the modifications?  Ideally I would like to be able to use 48v phantom.  I have several of the 9v batteries ordered, but would like to make them a little more user friendly to me.

Thanks
Seems like it was a bit of a fad to mod these for a awhile.

There were quite a few variants. Not sure any of them made any significant sonic gains.

Seems like the best versions ended up running the mic (often just the barrel/capsule assembly) with a 9V battery box/power supply. Members, Busman and Walstib seemed to have the best game on these - not sure if either still does the mods.

Similar versions used an AT (or the like) converter to get the same 9V from a 48 phantom

There are other older mods that leave the body intact and step the power down in some other fashion - I think some of these were critiqued for their approach to stepping down the voltage.

Check out the recent NAK DIY battery threads

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=178025.0

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=176879.0

I just broke out a ‌mint, stock set of TEAC ME-120s that I snagged on eBay a few years ago hooked them up with the A23 battery - they sound so dang good!

Offline jmitchell

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 11:00:34 AM »

Check out the recent NAK DIY battery threads

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=178025.0

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=176879.0

I just broke out a ‌mint, stock set of TEAC ME-120s that I snagged on eBay a few years ago hooked them up with the A23 battery - they sound so dang good!

Thanks. 
CA-14 Cards & Omni

Offline seanay

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Archive Recordings
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 11:48:22 AM »
Walstib modded my Nak 100's to take 48v a few years back.  Loved the results.

If he still does the mod, he's your man.
"Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us."

- Jerry Garcia

Offline phatdats

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • phatdats.com
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 02:36:13 PM »
Wow!  This is a timely conversation as I recently inherited a set of CM300's.  I Recall there being someone who was working on an active solution for these.  any idea who that was?
mg300>v2>minime>r4

steve@phatdats.com
www.phatdats.com

Offline jmitchell

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 03:29:33 PM »
I had the batteries that I ordered for these mics delivered today, and they do not fit.  These are the batteries that come up with just about every search I do for 9.1v Mercury Battery (type H-7D/A), Mallory Type TR-126 or Eveready E-126.  I have read that these batteries can swell, which makes them have a larger diameter than the CM300 bodies.  I haven't found that to be the case with the batteries I received today.  Any help/suggestions/links that can help me get an answer here?

CA-14 Cards & Omni

Offline jmitchell

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 03:39:16 PM »
Now I have opened all of the boxes and one of the batteries is this one.  I don't know enough to know if this batter would work with the 300s

These are the 2 boxes side by side, one label is the same, and the other obviously isnt.  The Excell 505/221a 22.5v battery is a lot thinner than the 9v but about the same length
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 03:44:32 PM by jmitchell »
CA-14 Cards & Omni

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2016, 03:41:21 PM »
I had the batteries that I ordered for these mics delivered today, and they do not fit.  These are the batteries that come up with just about every search I do for 9.1v Mercury Battery (type H-7D/A), Mallory Type TR-126 or Eveready E-126.  I have read that these batteries can swell, which makes them have a larger diameter than the CM300 bodies.  I haven't found that to be the case with the batteries I received today.  Any help/suggestions/links that can help me get an answer here?

Yes - this is a known problem. There was a time those Exell batteries DID fit and work well - but somewhere along the line, the spec changed and the new ones don't fit.

The lack of good replacement has prompted more and more of us to seek out DIY alternatives.

We should probably make separate thread for the Exell battery situation - since that info is sort of buried in various other threads. Might make it easier for people using the search engine.

Offline jmitchell

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2016, 04:02:40 PM »

The lack of good replacement has prompted more and more of us to seek out DIY alternatives.

We should probably make separate thread for the Exell battery situation - since that info is sort of buried in various other threads. Might make it easier for people using the search engine.

Ya I agree.  I have spent hours looking for an alternative that I feel comfortable with. http://datsunzgarage.com/nak/  I like this idea best, some of the other options suggest using batteries with different voltages, but that just sounds like a problem waiting to happen.  I have even seen posts from people that have torn away the plastic wrapping and a few layers of the insulating cardboard inside the battery to make it fit.  Basically what I have read here and other places is get matching batteries that equal ~9v, tape them up and let it ride.
CA-14 Cards & Omni

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2016, 04:35:59 PM »

Ya I agree.  I have spent hours looking for an alternative that I feel comfortable with. http://datsunzgarage.com/nak/  I like this idea best, some of the other options suggest using batteries with different voltages, but that just sounds like a problem waiting to happen.  I have even seen posts from people that have torn away the plastic wrapping and a few layers of the insulating cardboard inside the battery to make it fit.  Basically what I have read here and other places is get matching batteries that equal ~9v, tape them up and let it ride.

I wonder about the stackups with different voltage batteries, too. It might work - but I wonder what happens as the batteries start to discharge?...seems like there could be the potential for weirdness.

I favor the A23 - Its a single battery solution and very inexpensive...just need to make it fit.

I also like the stacked up dual 6V A544 - we used to run those in our Radio Shack PZMs back in the day. The stack ends up being just a touch longer than a AA - but they seem to fit in anything expecting a AA.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com