Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol UA-5 Analog outputs  (Read 2527 times)

Offline DesertRat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Edirol UA-5 Analog outputs
« on: April 07, 2008, 05:50:19 PM »
Is the modification to allow switched USB/standalone operation required to run the UA-5 as a standalone device for analog (RCA) output as well as digital? I suspect the answer is yes, but I just wanted to double-check if anyone knows for sure. Thanks.

Offline run_run_run

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Edirol UA-5 Analog outputs
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 05:59:58 PM »
Its not going to output anything analog or digital stand alone with out a digi mod.

Offline daco63

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • www.dcguitars.com
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 08:14:51 PM »
Is the modification to allow switched USB/standalone operation required to run the UA-5 as a standalone device for analog (RCA) output as well as digital? I suspect the answer is yes, but I just wanted to double-check if anyone knows for sure. Thanks.

In stock condition, you have to have a computer connected to the USB port in order for anything from the mics to be routed to any of the UA-5 outputs.  That's why people do the "digi-mod", which sets up the box to send signals to all the outputs without needing anything hooked up to the USB port. (Typically recording into a JB3 or Iriver or something like that.)  The standard digi-mod sends mic signal to all the ports, including RCA without a computer connected.

The only drawback of the standard digi-mod is that it disables playback from a computer through the UA-5 (using it like an external sound card).  The switched version of the digi-mod is only if you want to switch back and forth between "standalone" recording (without a computer connected) and playback from a computer through USB.

Hope this helps...

- Dave
IN: AKG c480b + ck61 > DIY Canare/Neutrik > W+ UA-5 > laptop > live webcasting! (Carrick House Concerts on A3 Radio)
OUT: laptop > iBasso D2-Viper (rolled) > B2031a/AKG240

Offline KLowe

• Trade Count: (5)
  • CrossFit....check you ego at the door
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 06:30:46 PM »
yep.  with the standard digi....all outs are functional.  But you have to control the analog out levels wit the "monitor" knob in the front.

I mod these things for free for
1.  patience
2  karma

let me know if interested.  (normally takes about 7 days or so)

I don't do any of the sound mods...so if you after an upgrade then hit up the usual suspects.

K
I actually work for a living with music, instead of you jerk offs who wish they did.

bwaaaahahahahahaha.... that is awesome!

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 11:45:10 PM »
FWIW, the UA5's analog outputs are not "passed through" from the analog inputs.  The signal path runs:  analog inputs > ADC > DAC > analog outputs.  In this sense, it's not ideal as an analog device, e.g. preamp, since the incoming signal runs through both an analog-to-digital conversion and then a digital-to-analog conversion before it outputs from the rear analog RCAs.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 05:53:14 AM »
FWIW, the UA5's analog outputs are not "passed through" from the analog inputs.  The signal path runs:  analog inputs > ADC > DAC > analog outputs.  In this sense, it's not ideal as an analog device, e.g. preamp, since the incoming signal runs through both an analog-to-digital conversion and then a digital-to-analog conversion before it outputs from the rear analog RCAs.

this is true, but i use my ua-5 in this manner anyway.  i haven't had any issues, and i assume it takes the same steps in both conversions (i might be wrong).

is there really any quality downside to this other than "it's just an unecesary step?"

-j
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com