Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Stock UA-5 > Optical > JB3 Question - NO SIGNAL!  (Read 2673 times)

Offline skotdee

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
Stock UA-5 > Optical > JB3 Question - NO SIGNAL!
« on: April 25, 2008, 11:40:59 PM »
I recently bought a stock UA-5 off ebay, which I plan on doing the DIY digimod on. I wanted to try it out first to make sure everything works when hooked up via usb to the computer. Everything works but there's one problem I'm having and I'm wondering if this is normal or not. I hope I can get this to make sense:

I am running a set of C4's into the XLR inputs, and running optical out into a JB3. The problem is I'm not getting a signal on the JB3. Do the optical outputs not work straight from the XLR inputs without the digimod? If I record from the mics into audacity on my computer, then playback that recording out of audacity, I get the signals on the JB3, so I know the jack/cable/jb3 are working fine.

Another thing: if I run ANALOG out of the ua-5 into the line in of the JB3, I get signals. Its just the OPTICAL hookup thats not "passing through" from the mics>ua5>jb3. Again, if I go mics>ua5>audacity>ua-5>jb3, using the ua-5 to playback, it works. OR if I go mics>UA5>ANALOG out>JB3, again, works fine.

Does my explanation make sense? Its hard to put into words. I guess my bottom line question is: do you have to do the digimod to run mics>ua5>OPTICAL>JB3?

PLEASE HELP!

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: Stock UA-5 > Optical > JB3 Question - NO SIGNAL!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 11:46:55 PM »
I think it will pass a signal out of the optical if you have it plugged into a computer via USB.

The Digimod allows you operate the UA-5 without a computer hooked up to it.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline skotdee

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 12:00:00 AM »
I think it will pass a signal out of the optical if you have it plugged into a computer via USB.

The Digimod allows you operate the UA-5 without a computer hooked up to it.

Yes, I understand the purpose of the digimod. I'm just testing it first, while hooked to a computer. And yes, it is passing it when played back from the computer, just not straight from XLR>Optical (no computer) I think Im answering my own question here. What throws me is it WILL pass straight from the XLR>ANALOG>JB3. I guess thats why its a "digi"mod, not "ana"mod :-\

Offline skotdee

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 01:48:40 AM »
OK just to clarify my confusion and so I dont look like a complete nut, It was to my original understanding that the stock unit could pass XLR>Optical Out>JB3 in REAL TIME, as long as it was hooked up to a computer via USB. Its now making a little more sense to me that in stock form you have to record to the computer first from the UA-5, then send it back to the UA-5 as a playback device to go from the optical output to the JB3. And of course the digimod takes out the computer step.

Am I still off base? At any rate I think this unit is good to go, ready for the digimod.

thanks for your patience folks.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 11:08:29 AM »

Am I still off base? At any rate I think this unit is good to go, ready for the digimod.
you are good to go with the digimod
as you found it only passes a digital signal from a comp, not from the xlr
with the digimod you break the signal chain and make it pass from the xlr
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 02:43:20 PM »
Are you changing the input setting on the JB3 from Line Input to Optical?
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline skotdee

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 09:17:36 PM »
Are you changing the input setting on the JB3 from Line Input to Optical?

Yep, definitely have the JB3 set to optical.

as you found it only passes a digital signal from a comp, not from the xlr
with the digimod you break the signal chain and make it pass from the xlr

willndmb hit it on the head, just as I had figured out. The digimod is required to pass straight from XLR>Optical. I know some of you are like, "duh", read the FAQ, but again, I didn't realize that even when connected to a computer, there still isnt a direct connect between XLR>Optical. In stock form you basically have to record to the computer first, then playback from the UA-5 to output the signal from the optical out. All the wording I'd read previously lead me to believe as long as you were connected to a 'puter, it would go straight from XLR>Optical Out. Not so. All Good. I've got it now. I'm a digimod away from taping bliss.

Thanks folks for dealing with my learning curve.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com