Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: UA5 knob, switch questions  (Read 2969 times)

Offline vwmule04

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
UA5 knob, switch questions
« on: October 16, 2004, 12:43:59 PM »
I searched the forums and did not find what I was looking for, so here goes:

(1) I'm running Studio Projects C4 mics. Should I select Hi-z or Lo-z?

(2) I read somewhere that the monitor sw feature can affect the quality of recording. Is that so? Should it be left off?

(3) Is there any way to improve levels of headphone monitor? Not very good when the music around you is loud.

(4) Also, I've had some problems with the phantom power going out on me during recording. Could be a short with the wire inernally or otherwise. Has anyone else experienced this? Any solution?
SP C4 > UA5 Warm > JB3

Offline teamakg

• Taperssection Member
Re: UA5 knob, switch questions
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2004, 02:08:54 PM »

(4) Also, I've had some problems with the phantom power going out on me during recording. Could be a short with the wire inernally or otherwise. Has anyone else experienced this? Any solution?

to answer this question.  the first thing that goes when your battery power gets low is phanton power.  your headphone out will still work but your phantom will shut off.

Offline mirth

• Needs to get out more...
  • Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2004, 04:42:23 PM »

Hi-Z/Low-Z is only for the 1/4" front input, so the switch setting is ignored when using XLR's

(2) I read somewhere that the monitor sw feature can affect the quality of recording. Is that so? Should it be left off?

I haven't heard that one... I know the monitor sw can affect the headphone & RCA outs, maybe thats what you saw? If you're not using either then you can leave the switch off & save a little battery power.

(3) Is there any way to improve levels of headphone monitor? Not very good when the music around you is loud.

Yep, get a Beachtek SVU-2 and get not only a very good headphone amp but stereo meters! Check out the DIY Meeters thread (search for SVU-1, Beachtek, SVU-2 and you'll eventually find it) and team SVU-x for more info. This will require the monitor sw to be on... at least thats how I run mine.
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2004, 04:54:58 PM »

If you value your hearing, don't get a headphone amp to crank your levels - you'll damage your hearing trying to get the headphones louder than the VERY LOUD environment around you.  Better off getting a pair of in-ear 'phones that will dramatically reduce the environmental sounds and deliver the music into your ears.  Shure E2C and Etymotic ER6s are both reasonably priced for this kinda thing.  Though really, not much to monitor IMO unless you're mixing 3 mics or SBD/AUD.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

hexyjones

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2004, 06:01:10 PM »

If you value your hearing, don't get a headphone amp to crank your levels - you'll damage your hearing trying to get the headphones louder than the VERY LOUD environment around you.

Not to nit pick...but if a person has a good set of closed back cans, they arent really "trying to get the headphones louder than the VERY LOUD environment" - the headphones -ideally- will keep the loud environment out...so you dont need to run them so loud...

make sense...?

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2004, 08:12:05 PM »

I had this problem. It was a short in the power cable. It was a home-made job, so I just made another one. Even if the unit loses power for a moment the Phantom Power will turn off, but the unit will appear to stay on. Basically it shuts of for a micro-second, thus shutting off the phantom power.

Hopefully that helps.

MIKE B
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Scooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2004, 08:27:19 PM »

1:  In addition to the earlier reply, I believe that the hi/lo Z switch affects only the chan 2 1/4 inch input
2:  I always leave it off, it's sound is slightly delayed so it does wierd things when combined with the other output(monitored thru the phones or RCA's), if you record off the RCA outs, leave it off.

MBHO 603a(ka200n/ka500hn) >
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2004, 08:57:03 PM »
Not to nit pick...but if a person has a good set of closed back cans, they arent really "trying to get the headphones louder than the VERY LOUD environment" - the headphones -ideally- will keep the loud environment out...so you dont need to run them so loud...

make sense...?

Nitpick, maybe, but it's a good point.  IME, though, it'd be tough to find a pair of closed-backheadphones that attenuates external noise / delivers sound into the ear at safe volumes anywhere near as effectively as in-ear 'phones.  'Course I don't have massively extensive headphone experience, so maybe some closed cans do actually come close to matching in-ear performance.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2004, 08:42:56 AM »
I agree with Brian here- I just scored a pair of Sony 7506's to try to do exactly this BETWEEN sets/bands - and they don't do nearly justice blocking out the sound of intermission music and chatter...

fortunately, the headphones sound completely amazing at my house for casual/critical listening of recordings.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com