Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DAT Blanks  (Read 12250 times)

Offline blu666z

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • AT ES943(H/C/O caps) » JKLab PP9 Pre » wmod UA-5
DAT Blanks
« on: May 13, 2003, 01:20:20 AM »
Got word my DAT is being shipped today.  What brand do most people use and where is the best place to buy them?

-Kevin

Offline RobC

• Taperssection All-Star
Re:DAT Blanks
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2003, 01:35:01 AM »
Some people have problems with them but I use
Sony DG90P (90 meters-3 hours)
 or DG60P (60 meters-2 hours)
I've recorded over 100 tapes in the last year mostly 90 meter and have only had 1 bad tape,  I use a M-1
Note:  Your results may vary

I get my tapes from Terrapin Tapes $2.25/ tape

many people like the Maxell (made in Japan tapes)
km 184 >v2> HD-P2, R-44
AKG 393, 392

Offline blu666z

• AT ES943(H/C/O caps) » JKLab PP9 Pre » wmod UA-5
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2003, 02:14:02 AM »
Thanks Rob.  +T

What are the pros/cons of the different lengths?  I'm sure there are drawbacks to the 90s or everybody would be using them.

-Kevin

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2003, 08:49:23 AM »
There's a post elsewhere in this forum (I think) where Scott M. does a good job of explaining it...but basically, the portables aren't designed for the different tension of 90-meter tapes, so your heads are worn out quicker because 90's aren't re-tensioned.

I've mastered on 90's quite a bit and have never had a problem in six years; never even had to service my deck once.

As for the Sonys, the best price I've seen is from American Digital (am-dig.com). The DGP60's go for $2.19 for a 10-pack, $2.16 for a 30-pack, and $2.09 for a 50-pack. The DGP90's go for $2.29/$2.26/$2.19 for the same packs. Decent prices on the Maxells, too, though I haven't shopped around too much for those.

--Dave
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

busknuckle

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2003, 12:14:47 AM »
www.daleproaudio.com has always treated me well. they have a lowest price guaruntee.

go where you like best though.

jessedscott

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2003, 01:35:09 AM »
I like dale pro audio too. Very fast service!

Jess

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2003, 02:04:40 AM »
terrapin on the east coast is the quickness...... ;) too bad their festivals weren't as good as their services... :-X

bean
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2003, 09:04:43 AM »
Some people have problems with them but I use
Sony DG90P (90 meters-3 hours)
 or DG60P (60 meters-2 hours)
I've recorded over 100 tapes in the last year mostly 90 meter and have only had 1 bad tape,  I use a M-1
Note:  Your results may vary

I get my tapes from Terrapin Tapes $2.25/ tape

many people like the Maxell (made in Japan tapes)

Since Sony changed their shell casing, my D8 does NOT like the 90m, 60m are fine, but it spits out Sony 90m like my girlfirend, doh ... Since then I have switched girlfriends & gone to Maxell 60 & 90m, not the green labels either & haven't had a problem with the tapes, YMMV ...
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2003, 09:39:20 AM »
What are the pros/cons of the different lengths?  I'm sure there are drawbacks to the 90s or everybody would be using them.

Whaddya know, I just added to the archive section (thanks Hippies!) an explanation of how 90m tapes wear out deck heads and transports/motors faster than 60m tapes:

http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?board=14;action=display;threadid=2923

I've used:

Sony DG60P, DG90P
Maxell HS/4 60 and 90 (made in Japan)

FWIW, I only use 90m if I know I'll need it to capture the whole set uninterrupted.  So far, no problems with any of the above tapes (unless the 90m is what screwed up one of the springs in my D100 now being serviced).

I've heard grumblings about the new Sony's, and about Maxell's that are not made in Japan.  No first-hand experience, though.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2003, 10:41:06 AM »
I've heard grumblings about the new Sony's, and about Maxell's that are not made in Japan.  No first-hand experience, though.

It's all anecdotal evidence, really...some people swear by Sonys, others swear by Maxells. Unless you've personally run thousands of hours worth of one brand vs. the other on identical decks in identical situations, it's all a bunch of tapers chasing their own tails. Just like buying the rest of your equipment use what works best for YOU. :)

Oh, and for what it's worth, while I used to order from the guys at Masterpiece A/V (now Dale Pro Audio) all the time, I asked them about their price guarantee like someone suggested above, and they still haven't gotten back to me - it's been a week now. :-\ Maybe the message got lost or whatever, but I'm surprised, because they've usually been very quick and responsive.  Guess it's back to am-dig...

--Dave
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2003, 03:25:16 PM »

It's all anecdotal evidence, really...some people swear by Sonys, others swear by Maxells.

One thing that  is not anecdotal is the flimsy shell on the new Sony tapes. I have had more shutters stay open on the new Sony's than actually close without me helping to manually close the shutter. One thing I learned back in the early 80's working at a cassette duplication facility, shells have a lot to do with how well tape performs.

I was saddened when Fuji pulled out of the DDS market, because they made a great tape and shell. Now that they have left the market, I've switched to Maxell tapes because of their shell. The latest bunch of maxell tapes I got were from Japan. I think they may have closed their US/Mexico plants that use to make them.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

rabhan

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2003, 09:28:37 AM »

It's all anecdotal evidence, really...some people swear by Sonys, others swear by Maxells. Unless you've personally run thousands of hours worth of one brand vs. the other on identical decks in identical situations, it's all a bunch of tapers chasing their own tails. Just like buying the rest of your equipment use what works best for YOU. :)

Oh, and for what it's worth, while I used to order from the guys at Masterpiece A/V (now Dale Pro Audio) all the time, I asked them about their price guarantee like someone suggested above, and they still haven't gotten back to me - it's been a week now. :-\ Maybe the message got lost or whatever, but I'm surprised, because they've usually been very quick and responsive.  Guess it's back to am-dig...

--Dave

they are the shit! just call them and ask them! dont waste your time with email thru a webform. aaron, jamie, and dan are some of the nicest guys around and masterpiece has the best service too!

Offline wboswell

• Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2003, 10:10:39 AM »
I will second the shell casings issues with the sony's.  I had a lot of the sony pro's and they were made with a similarly crappy shell.  Both my P1, DA-30, and my D8 didn't like them.  The maxell shells are more dependable for my uses.  They are about 50 cents more, but worth it to me...

-William

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2003, 10:29:08 AM »
just to give a dissenting opinion, I have used Sony DGP 60M and 90M exclusively in my D100 for 3 years and have not had a problem yet.  I know that a bad batch of Sonys went around last year, causing alot of misloads and the like, but it appears that they have fixed the problem, because I bought 50 new 90M in Feb, and I am about 15 into them with no issues.

YMMV

Nick

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2003, 11:06:48 AM »
Quantegy all the way from Terrapin Tapes.  They even sent me a Christmas card!
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

rabhan

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2003, 11:40:43 AM »
fwiw, i recently got a bad box of dg60p's, dropouts on the recordings. atleast 3 other ppl have had similar issues, we are trying to match the lot numbers, maybe there is a link.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.178 seconds with 45 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com