Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sturdiest binaural mics  (Read 4860 times)

Offline RobS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Sturdiest binaural mics
« on: September 16, 2016, 01:17:42 PM »
Just wondering, which binaural mics are the toughest? Best for humid conditions and mounting in croakies?

Thanks.

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
Re: Sturdiest binaural mics
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 01:48:01 PM »
Just wondering, which binaural mics are the toughest? Best for humid conditions and mounting in croakies?

Thanks.
toughest: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/146368-REG/Neumann_KU_100_KU_100_Dummy_Head.html

I'm certain this is not the answer you were looking for, but IMO, these are the "toughest". Not certain about their humidity capability and am certain you can't mount them in croakies. (B&K makes a dummy head option also but about twice the price of the Neumann)

Less expensive, but still $$= http://www.core-sound.com/bk/1.php

Even less expensive: http://www.core-sound.com/mics/1.php

I would say the DPA based Core Sounds (first core-sound link) are probably the best humidity handlers of their two options.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 05:24:46 PM »
Countryman b3 are claimed to be waterproof.
They have a video on youtube of a recording made with the mics inside a bottle of coca cola.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 05:58:54 PM »
The DPA miniature omnis 4060/4061 fit well in croakies and are designed to be body worn by sweating actors and acrobats and can be completely submerged.  DPA recommends cleaning them by swizzling in distilled water.  I had that happen unintentionally using them for open recording and trying to protect them from rain with condoms secured over them.  While away from the rig the condoms filled with water and the mics were not only undamaged, but unbelievably the recording still came out fine!   I don't even bother putting an umbrella over them anymore.  The cable is very fine diameter and more susceptible to damage than the mics are susceptible to problems with humidity.  DPA now makes a heavy duty version of them which I've not used but has a thicker cable and heavier strain reliefs.  I'd consider that version.

Countryman B3 is the same size as the DPAs also completely waterproof.  It doesn't even have vent holes in its flat stainless steel outer diaphragm under the removable grid.  Similar fine diameter cable to the standard DPAs, and I'm not aware if they offer a heavier duty version.  Less costly than the DPAs but the specs are not quite as good, and at least personally I've found their sound not nearly as good nor as as manipulatable.  Other members here prefer the sound of the B3s to the DPA however.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline RobS

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 08:38:34 PM »
Thanks!

As much as I'd like to get the DPAs, they're beyond my budget. I'm glad the CSBs got a mention. They're the ones I'm planning to get.

Thanks. I hadn't seen the Countryman-in-Coke video. For anyone that hasn't seen it: http://youtu.be/gqRoQxEO5S4

Offline rocksuitcase

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 09:26:54 PM »
RobS- I will say this: I think Countryman's build quality is a bit better than Core-Sounds. Oddly enough, I know two people who have worked with each company. (one per company, not both worked at both companies)
Each person told me about the quality of the product and research vs assembly line stuff. I think Countryman b3's will be more "waterproof" but the real issue is what gutbucket brings up- cable quality. From my friend's experience with his CSB's back in the early 1990's to reading and hearing about their cabling and the DPA cabling, I feel that is the weak point in the design.

I used to run with a guy in the GD days who had the Sennheiser MKE2002- sweet mics but poor batterybox/pre-amp quality. I don't think they are made anymore-but I could be wrong.

Let us know what you choose!     :headphones: 
music IS love

ilduclo

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2016, 09:32:54 AM »
I can definitely vouch for the dpa's. Mine were used when I got them (from Broadway) and are over 10 years on with no problems. I use them in metal & punk shows and they have gotten used hard, including spilt beer, fat fucks with axe body spray moshing into me, etc. My coresounds went down 2x in 2 years, so, I'd say "no" to that :bawling: :bigsmile:

Btw, the issue with my coresounds was with the cabling & connection soldering. If you end up going dpa, do NOT buy them from coresound. They are available elsewhere, I'd say equally matched or nearly so, and MUCH cheaper.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 09:38:02 AM by ilduclo »

Offline RobS

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2016, 11:34:42 AM »
Now I'm thinking I should splurge on DPAs.

ilduclo

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2016, 01:21:22 PM »
around 900+ for a pair new, 225 each for used on ebay. Depending on your needs, I like the 4061's for even quiet acoustic sets.

Offline rocksuitcase

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2016, 07:03:57 PM »
Now I'm thinking I should splurge on DPAs.
I'm with ilduclo here and will add to your intuition-If you can afford it, go for the DPA's. I almost bought two 4061's used from the yard sale and they were priced close to the ebay pricing he mentions.
music IS love

Offline RobS

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2016, 01:33:45 PM »
The heavy duty ones look like overkill.

For the regular ones, secondhand might be cheaper, but am thinking the design of the new 406x ones looks sturdier.

ilduclo

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2016, 01:49:09 PM »
yeah, the HD's are running like 575$ each. I think the regular ones are pretty robust. I think the fine diameter wires are not a problem in most cases. They may use really high quality wire that has not been "drawn" as much as some others. I think that may be a bigger issue in wire life than diameter, but then, what do I know...? :yahoo:

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2016, 10:48:31 AM »
Another option that might be worth considering is the Sennheiser MKE2.  Nice mics, sturdy, and a little cheaper than the DPAs...

Offline rocksuitcase

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2016, 11:32:27 AM »
Another option that might be worth considering is the Sennheiser MKE2.  Nice mics, sturdy, and a little cheaper than the DPAs...
Aaron, I wasn't aware of the MKE2, it looks pretty nice and is listing at $389 each at B&H. As I noted above, I ran with a dude who owned the MKE2002 binaural system with dummy head. That is out of production now but one did get sold on eBAy in 2012. If the MKE2 is the modern equivalent then it may be worth a look see for the OP. 
music IS love

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2016, 06:51:22 PM »
I've not used them myself, but from what I know of them and what I've heard, MKE2 = good.

I think its the same mic in the old Senn binaural system.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2016, 07:08:31 PM »
^, ^^ They come in several different varieties (sensitivities, connectors, max SPL, etc.), and the model has evolved over the years, so you do have to check to make sure that what you are buying is exactly what you need.  I have two pairs, one older and one newer, though, and I do like them.  They even have a digital model, partnered with Apogee and equipped with a lightning connector, which would be very attractive to many if there was a stereo version...

I am also under the impression that the MKE2s are the descendants of the older binaural system.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.134 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com