Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Can cold weather shorten battery life?  (Read 2219 times)

Offline Jeremy Lykins

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Can cold weather shorten battery life?
« on: March 31, 2008, 09:09:11 AM »
I taped just my fourth show over the weekend and my first one outside, but it was also the first one where my batteries died before the show was over.  I could've sworn that they were fully-charged and I had changed the settings earlier that day on my Edirol R-09 to turn off the red recording light, but I did have the volume turned up halfway while in the past it was turned all the way down.  I was patched out of the soundboard and the R-09 was sitting by itself on a metal shelf on the soundboard.  So my question is, did the cold weather (it was approximately 40* out and slightly misting) have anything to do with my batteries dying on me?  Did having the volume turned halfway up drain the batteries? 

Offline anhisr

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Can cold weather shorten battery life?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 09:51:44 AM »
I don't think having the volume up with nothing plugged into it, like headphones, would help "kill" the batteries earlier.  The cold is a factor, just look at what happens to car batteries when the cold hits.  I know we are talking a lot colder but, everything adds up.  Conditioning the batteries with something like the Thomas charger, which I use, definitely helps bring the battery back to a higher charging rate. Also, stay away from the rapid chargers if you can.  Over time the battery will not hold as much.  Try to charge them at the slowest rate you can. 
Audio: Neumann KM 100> 20, 30, 40, 43 or 50 > V3 > MT II (love that M/S)
Still Camera Body: Canon D5 Mark II
Canon Lenses:  16-35mm f2.8L II USM; 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM; 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM
Video Canon HF R30

archive  http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/anhisr

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 10:13:46 AM »
I didn't have much luck back in my analog days with cold batteries and had some die prematurely on me.  I use to keep the batteries warm in my pockets and then install them right before the performance and had much better results.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 11:13:08 AM »
Definitely the cold.  Do a search on the topic.  It is something photographers regularly deal with.

Lithium batteries provide the best performance in the cold.  You could also use those little hand warmer packets with regular batteries.  Putting the r09 in a case (esp neoprene) would also help since it generates some heat.

Another concern when you let your gear get cold is condensation when you warm it back up....

Offline Jeremy Lykins

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 02:33:27 PM »
I have a charger from Thomas Dist. that does this as a function. It definitely helps.

Quote from: anhisr
Conditioning the batteries with something like the Thomas charger, which I use, definitely helps bring the battery back to a higher charging rate.

Which one do you guys use?  I checked out Thomas' website, but they have a few to choose from.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 02:48:26 PM »
my ipod battery will not work correctly if they its really cold
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline GrandMasterMark

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • Hold still my sexy little mule!
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 10:01:29 PM »
From a photographer who spent many cold winter months in Yosemite the answer is a solid "YES." It is not so much that the battery life is shortened as much as the battery goes dormant until it is warmed up again. I ran into this with my R-09 a few weeks ago as I pulled fresh alk batteries out of the freezer, slapped them into my Edirol, and headed to a drum workshop. Meter showed a low battery and screen was dim. Pulled out the batteries and rolled them in my hands for a minute or so. Problem fixed!
LIVE MP3s?!? Disclaimer: If you're anything like me, you'll utterly hate how this shit sounds, which is no offense to (names removed), who have been to too many shows with their digital toys to NOT make me feel guilty about not playing better. But like I keep telling them, live music is for listening to live where bodies, surfaces and beer absorb the blemishes, and recorded music, well, that's why you fucking go to a studio to make your records, right? Nevertheless, in the interest of full disclosure, and because some people dig this shit, here's a few nuggets of live joy, some old shit, some new, some borrowed and no goddamn blues, because I'm white and have more respect for BLAH BLah blah

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 07:36:59 PM »
Batteries don't last as long when used in a cold environment, but they actually last longer if stored in a cold environment.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com