Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best entry level shotgun mic?  (Read 6051 times)

Offline InfiniteOhms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • LMA Uploads
Best entry level shotgun mic?
« on: April 04, 2019, 04:50:59 PM »
I’m interested in recording some lectures / classes, so mostly a single unamplified voice. Seems like a single shotgun into my zoom h4n pro should do the trick. Any recommendations? If I could get something that is halfway decent quality for under $100 (used) I would be thrilled. Thanks!
ADK A-51s LE's > Oade W-mod UA-5 > Zoom H4n Pro if I bother to drag out a full rig. More often just the H4N Pro. My LMA tapes

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
Re: Best entry level shotgun mic?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 05:05:43 PM »
I’m interested in recording some lectures / classes, so mostly a single unamplified voice. Seems like a single shotgun into my zoom h4n pro should do the trick. Any recommendations? If I could get something that is halfway decent quality for under $100 (used) I would be thrilled. Thanks!

In my opinion, the AT897 is a decent starter shotgun. I have two of them - you can get them for around $100 on ebay if you watch.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 05:08:40 PM by beegar »
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline InfiniteOhms

• Taperssection Member
    • LMA Uploads
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 05:11:33 PM »

In my opinion, the AT897 is a decent starter shotgun. I have two of them - you can get them for around $100 on ebay if you watch.
Thanks for the recommendation! I will keep a eye on eBay for those.
ADK A-51s LE's > Oade W-mod UA-5 > Zoom H4n Pro if I bother to drag out a full rig. More often just the H4N Pro. My LMA tapes

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 05:14:39 PM »
I'd consider Zoom's short shotgun mics which connect directly to the recorder.  I think they make a mono one and a stereo version.  I've no idea how good they are but they should be inexpensive and keep the setup simple with no cables required.  Even though your application is lecture recording where stereo playback isn't required, a stereo recording using the stereo shotgun will often make for easier comprehension when recording from a distance due to aspects of human auditory perception.  Stereo does a better job at allowing one to more clearly differentiate spoken word from the recorded reverberance, and even though you plan to use a shotgun microphone, you will still have lots of room reverberation in the recordings.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline InfiniteOhms

• Taperssection Member
    • LMA Uploads
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 05:19:33 PM »
Thanks! I will check those out as well.
Edit: looks like they are designed for a different model recorder.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 05:27:56 PM by InfiniteOhms »

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 07:07:30 PM »
I've heard great things about the AKG 568
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2019, 09:33:00 PM »
I truly wish that I could pass along some advice from long experience. I know that people will mostly go on believing what they choose to believe, but here goes anyway:

[1] To get the best speech intelligibility in a recording, the most important thing you can do is to record in stereo from the best miking position that you can get.

Especially if the eventual listener(s) will use headphones (but even if they don't), stereo brings the listener's brain into the game in a way that mono just doesn't allow. Our brains are evolved to use stereo information to "subtract out" reverberation, noise and competing sound sources, and figure out what's being said. No one so far has been able to create an algorithm or type of equipment that duplicates this ability. It's an enormous advantage, much greater than people generally seem to expect. (I know this from having transcribed hundreds of hours of speech recordings, most of which were made in unfavorable acoustical environments; I learned very quickly which recording arrangements worked well and which ones didn't.)

The requirement for a suitable miking distance is non-negotiable if you want clear speech recordings. No equipment in the world can get you around that requirement. Don't "yadda-yadda" this fact away; it's key.

[2] Depending on the room, the next most helpful thing that you can do is to reduce the "room rumble" (diffuse low-frequency room sound) with filtering of some kind. Even a moderate amount of filtering can help considerably.

I've attached (below) the filter curves that Nagra built in to their IV-S recorders. In the 1970s I recorded a great deal of documentary sound as well as concerts with a IV-S, and can testify that those curves are extremely well worked out. The curve labeled "S + LFA" (= speech plus low-frequency attenuation) can be so, so helpful if you can possibly get anything like it from your editing software.

[3] OK, here goes nothing: Shotgun microphones can be fine within a few feet of the person speaking, but in reverberant spaces they work quite poorly at greater distances, especially for speech pickup.

Some amateurs (no shade intended by the use of that term) like them for some kinds of non-close-up music recording. OK, whatever. But that doesn't carry over to non-close-up speech recording--or to most other kinds of music recording, for that matter. If the sound that reaches a shotgun microphone from off-axis is a reflected version of the SAME sound that it's picking up on-axis, then the irregular cancellation caused by the slotted tube in front of the capsule will decrease the intelligibility of your recording rather than help it.

Ask anyone who records film or video dialogue for for a living. For indoor scenes, they always prefer a supercardioid on the boom rather than a shotgun, if the available miking distance allows it (set by the boundaries of the camera frame). When a shotgun is used it is IMPERATIVE (a) to get as close to the sound source as possible and (b) to keep the sound source directly on axis at all times. Those are the primary skills of a boom operator. Most shotgun mikes tend to sound muffled when the person speaking is off-axis--but at any considerable distance (say 6 to 8 feet away or more) in a reverberant space of normal size, you start to pick up more sound off-axis than on-axis. So in addition to the muffled pickup of off-axis sound, you have further cancellation of the high frequencies due to phase conflicts right in the range where consonant articulation depends on them the most.

In all seriousness, for speech recording in a reverberant space you would be better off making a stereo recording with a pair of omnis (especially if they are diffuse-field equalized) than either a mono recording with a shotgun mike OR a stereo recording with two shotgun mikes. Of course a good pair of cardioids or (best of all) supercardioids would be even better, but I hope my point is clear.

And if you only halfway believe me (which I understand) (sigh) and you are stuck on the idea of a shotgun microphone, then at least please consider using a stereo shotgun microphone. That is an M/S stereo arrangement with a shotgun microphone for the "M" channel, often with the matrix to produce L/R stereo signals from the M/S pickup built into the mike itself. AudioTechnica makes at least one; Sennheiser makes one that is well thought of; Sanken makes more than one, including a model with a multi-capsule shotgun that suppresses low-frequency room sound better than other shotguns can do unless they use digital signal processing; Neumann used to make a really nice-sounding one, and I think some other manufacturers do, too. Or you can put up a regular shotgun with a figure-8 mike aligned to where the shotgun's capsule is behind the interference tube, and dematrix in software afterward, or in your preamp or recorder if it has that ability (e.g. Sound Devices).

Of course you still need a decent miking position, or else the shotgun will be overwhelmed by the reverberance while the side-facing figure-8 will pick up mostly diffuse, reflected sound, and then the stereo pickup won't be nearly as useful. Stereo shotgun microphones aren't a panacea by any means.

In fact, please please please don't overestimate what ANY directional microphone can do to overcome an excessive miking distance, especially for speech recording. If your ideal recording distance with an omni would be (say) 2 feet from the person speaking, then even the most sharply directional microphone in the world (unless it uses special digital signal processing costing thousands of dollars) can only give you a few extra feet of distance with equivalent clarity. Directional microphones aren't like zoom lenses on cameras; they can only record the sound field at the point where they themselves are located. No directional pattern can possibly make up for the microphone(s) being 10 feet away (let alone 20 feet or more) instead of 2 to 3 feet away.

--best regards, and good luck
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 02:09:43 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2019, 09:31:43 AM »
Thank you for sharing this valuable, insightful advice in such a clear and detailed post.  And for your patience for the necessary educational-repetition! Your contributions to this site are a treasure.

Location!  Get the microphone(s) close enough to the source. 

If you absolutely can't do that, consider boundary-mounted omnis on a nearby wall, which can increase clarity somewhat more than other techniques used at the same distance.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline JimmieC

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2019, 10:55:22 AM »
I'm looking at setting up a camera with a mic and I hate the youtube video with inaudible speech.  I want to try and have the best audio for my videos, which mostly would be outside and relatively close (<20').  DSatz, would you say the shotgun mic still would not be the best for outdoor too?  Still would go with two supercardioid vs m/s shotgun?  However, probably not all situations can be handled with the same mics or setup.

Glad y'all started talking about this because I was probably going to get just a mono mic but it does make since to get a stereo or rig it up with 2 active mics.  Now I'll be looking at mics all afternoon.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 10:59:20 AM by JimmieC »
OH Grown
Mic:AKG C460B(CK61)/HM1000(CK32/CK47), Naiant Couplings/PFA, ADK-TL; Preamp:Lunatec V2, Naiant Littlebox v1.5; Rec:Tascam DA-P1/DR-100mkii/DR-680; Cable:GAKcables; Bar:Shure A27M, Robb Bar 23-cm, it-goes-to-eleven DINa Active Bar, GAK 3' Bar; Mount:Shure A53M, Audix MC-MICRO; Clamp:AKG K&M 237, Photek Grip Clamp w/Manfrotto 042; Stand: Manfrotto Alu Master 3 Riser 12' AC Stand/122B, Lowel Full Pole; Battery:18000mah Universal Lithium Battery; Playback:laptop>Schiit Modi>Yamaha HTR5890>Klipsch Synergy F2. My recordings on LMA

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2019, 12:58:11 PM »
Ah--when you wrote "lectures / classes" I assumed an indoor setting. A lot of what I wrote won't apply so much.

I haven't done very much outdoor recording, but I have to say, 20 feet seems really distant no matter what type of microphone(s) you're going to use. I just can't imagine getting good results from farther than maybe 5 or 6 feet away--and even that assumes dependably quiet surroundings. The farther you get from your intended source, the more vulnerable your recording will be to interfering sound from all other sources in the neighborhood. (Who are the people in your neighborhood?)

Also, wind has always been a big problem whenever I've done any outdoor recording, especially because I'm not "geared up" properly for it. Professionals who record dialogue outdoors always have to make very substantial investments in windscreens. Not using them is like asking for many of your recordings to be ruined. Again, though, all other things being equal, if there's some residual noise due to wind in a recording, then the closer you were to your sound source at the time, the less that amount of wind noise will detract from hearing what was said.

Definitely have a look at Rycote on https://rycote.com--they have high-quality solutions for all kinds of stereo arrangements as well as individual microphones. Their U.S. distributor is Redding Audio (https://www.reddingaudio.com). [Edited later to add disclosure: Redding is also Schoeps' U.S. distributor, and I have a long association with Schoeps; also, Scott Boland, who runs Redding Audio, is a friend.]

Gutbucket has an interesting suggestion: boundary-layer microphones. Those are most often omnidirectional--and if so, they'll be pressure transducers rather than pressure gradient (velocity) transducers, so they'll be inherently far more resistant to wind noise than any directional microphone--like by ~20 dB or so. Boundary mounting also gives a microphone the peculiar property of picking up direct sound with 3 dB greater sensitivity than diffuse sound, as Gutbucket mentioned--not a huge difference, but it can help. I need to put a disclaimer on this idea, though, since I've never tried it myself (and now I really want to; I have a pair of Schoeps BLM 03 Cs that I've only ever used indoors). Also, if the person or the people will be walking while talking, you couldn't use that approach at all, I don't think.

I really would like to see you get suggestions from someone who records outdoor dialog and/or effects professionally. Shotguns are definitely used in this application, since the "multipath" problem (different path lengths, and therefore different arrival times, for the same sound arriving at different angles) is fundamentally less severe outdoors. But a 20-foot recording distance just doesn't seem workable to me with any type of microphone I've ever heard of. Is there any chance that you could get significantly closer--or maybe put something like a Tascam DR-10L (https://tascam.com/us/product/dr-10l/top) on the person doing the talking, and match the sound to the picture later on?

If these recordings are at all important (even if only to yourself), I think that you'd want to do some serious testing in advance--rather than just imagining (or asking other people) what it should be like, then finding out that reality was all rude and didn't behave as you thought it would. Reality can have bad manners in that regard.

--best regards
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 12:51:46 PM by DSatz »

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2019, 01:01:51 PM »
 :alert:
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline JimmieC

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2019, 04:03:43 PM »
DSatz, thanks for the info and your right that testing will be the best.  Additionally, every ones taste in audio is different.  Need the mic, preamp, recorder to quiet due to the unamplified source, similar to original post.  I will be getting some windscreens as I can't stand when people have wind noise.  Those will probably be the cheapest item and the most needed for outdoor and indoor sometimes too (damn AC).

I should have mentioned that for me it would be personnel use of video/audio that would may be uploaded to youtube.  I need to search youtube a little (probably a lot more) to see what others are using and how is sounds.  I see some are using wireless mics too.  I mostly want to document my garden (what worked or didn't work) and others for a garden forum that I'm on, as well as family vacations. I wish so much that I had video/audio from when we walked around the top of Capulin Volcano in New Mexico last spring.  I would love to see it again and share (mostly with grandparents) the excitement of the kids, as well as the several other places we went last year.  I've been able to get one of the kids into geology and going to do some southern Appalachian geology trips this summer when we meet up with some friend for Dead and Company.  Here in Louisiana, we could easily do fluvial (river deposition) and deltaic videos/trips on the weekends.  Some day we could collage the video content and do the geology from the mountains down to the plains, delta, and ocean deposition.  May be some people would be interested in the geology videos too.  The best is if I could get the kids into video editing, writing, and such too.  Would love to do some farm tours too but don't think I can get them to wear a mic.  Of coarse, our camera and mics will probably change, upgrade, and/or downsize throughout the years but I would like to start out with something decent sounding so that over time we would have a lot of content to reuse for various videos.  These are my ideas for right now and hope the kids come up with some of their own.  I want to expose them to as many things as I can and may be they will pick it up over time.

Ah man, jumping into another hobby but I think it will be pretty useful.  Thankfully going offshore in May to pay for some of it.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 04:05:43 PM by JimmieC »
OH Grown
Mic:AKG C460B(CK61)/HM1000(CK32/CK47), Naiant Couplings/PFA, ADK-TL; Preamp:Lunatec V2, Naiant Littlebox v1.5; Rec:Tascam DA-P1/DR-100mkii/DR-680; Cable:GAKcables; Bar:Shure A27M, Robb Bar 23-cm, it-goes-to-eleven DINa Active Bar, GAK 3' Bar; Mount:Shure A53M, Audix MC-MICRO; Clamp:AKG K&M 237, Photek Grip Clamp w/Manfrotto 042; Stand: Manfrotto Alu Master 3 Riser 12' AC Stand/122B, Lowel Full Pole; Battery:18000mah Universal Lithium Battery; Playback:laptop>Schiit Modi>Yamaha HTR5890>Klipsch Synergy F2. My recordings on LMA

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2019, 01:05:53 PM »
I'm not sure whether I'm replying to one or to more people here, but: I, too, have been bitten by the audio-for-video bug, and more recently by the video bug itself. I haven't done much outdoor recording, but some, yes. And what I currently like to do is to record "atmosphere"/context on the camera (maybe via external microphones, or more likely not when outdoors), then go home, edit, and drop in a dry recording of the main presenter on top of that.

I had to abandon my professional wireless mike setup when the gummint auctioned off the frequency band that it ran in (my bad luck), but have since discovered two delightful toys for getting clear sound from a presenter if s/he is wearing clothes with pockets (i.e. this wouldn't work as well at a nudist colony) and if s/he's willing to wear a lavalier mike. One is the Tascam DR-10L, and the other is Sennheiser's XSW-D system, which is relatively inexpensive and ridiculously easy to use, as long as you don't have to run it for more than about four hours at a time (since the transmitter uses an internal rechargeable battery).

--best regards

Edited later to add this P.S.: Both the items I mentioned above work (Tascam and Sennheiser) with plug-in-powered lavalier microphones. But since I normally work with phantom-powered microphones, I didn't realize how chaotic and unstandardized plug-in powering is. There is no guarantee at all of compatibility among different items of equipment that use this method.

Both the Sennheiser and Tascam devices come with omni lavaliers that work interchangeably, so I assume that the two devices provide similar powering / loading / signal connections. To me, the Sennheiser lavalier sounds slightly better than the Tascam, but that's not saying much. I was able to find a good cardioid lavalier by Sanken (COS-11D) that works with both items. But a $200 Sony "plug-in powered" lavalier wouldn't work with either of them.

So make sure that anything you intend to buy has return privileges, and allow time for finding microphones that will actually work with any given transmitter or recorder that you intend to use. Also, the range of sensitivities among different lavalier microphones is surprisingly wide, and your recorder or transmitter levels may need to be adjusted accordingly.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 07:38:12 PM by DSatz »

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2019, 03:42:08 PM »
This is why I read every thread..... Even though I’m not in the market for a shotgun mic.
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2019, 12:08:02 PM »
I had an interesting conversation with a friend the other day ...

He is the Chief Engineer at Sennheiser UK and suggested a reason for why the MKH 416 is still so popular, despite the MKH 60 and MKH 8060 being much better.

He suggested that it may be due to the nasty (in copmparison) off-axis response of the 416 in comparison to the others - so when you are booming a 416 it is easier to keep on target as the sound gets nastier as you go off-axis, whereas with the 60 and 8060 the sound just gets a bit quieter.

Interestinmg ...

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2019, 02:10:10 PM »
I had an interesting conversation with a friend the other day ...

He is the Chief Engineer at Sennheiser UK and suggested a reason for why the MKH 416 is still so popular, despite the MKH 60 and MKH 8060 being much better.

He suggested that it may be due to the nasty (in copmparison) off-axis response of the 416 in comparison to the others - so when you are booming a 416 it is easier to keep on target as the sound gets nastier as you go off-axis, whereas with the 60 and 8060 the sound just gets a bit quieter.

Interestinmg ...
Interesting take.
I have recently been using shotguns for concert recording, especially in cases when I am at the back of the room.  "Point at stacks" gives clear PA sound, and both quieter and more muffled sound from those near the mics.  Harder to hear specific conversations nearby, which is usually a good thing :)
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2019, 02:39:40 PM »
John, I think there may really be something to what your friend told you. When the talent moves off-axis, the boom operator has to react very quickly; with experience, I think one's reaction could become almost automatic.

Whereas if you need to be paying full attention at all times, using your conscious mind in order to detect a problem, your responses will be far slower, and more dependent on how much sleep you got the night before.

--best regards

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2019, 09:25:10 AM »
Interesting.  More feature than bug for the intended application, albeit unintentionally.

Imagining a new microphone design intended for booming that leverages this via two outputs:
1) A tight-focus response monitor output with obvious response change off-axs.
2) An improved response output to recorder with smoother pattern behavior.

Offline Ronmac

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2019, 09:34:56 AM »
I prefer the 60 to the 416 because of the smoother off axis response. In the event you do miss a beat, it is a lot easier in post to deal with a level change than a frequency response change.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 47 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com