Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: On stage mic stand recs?  (Read 6409 times)

Offline Cobiwan

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Member
On stage mic stand recs?
« on: April 14, 2015, 02:04:12 AM »
I'm looking to get a couple of on stage mic stands and was wondering what folks have for recommendations.
Anyone got something they like using?
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
2 matched pairs of Oktava MK-012 MSP6 with Bill Sitler mod + cardioid, hyper-cardioid, and omni capsules
Church Audio CA-14 omni/UBB
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Tascam HD-P2, Tascam DR-680, Zoom F-8
Cables:
Gakables XLR, S/PDIF, battery and umbrella, DigiGal AES > S/PDIF, Darktrain hot swap battery

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
Re: On stage mic stand recs?
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 02:30:20 AM »
I like the Manfrotto 003 backlight base with an extension pole (generally the Lowell 3-footer). Also handy as in the right situation you can use this with a 7ft Manfrotto extension arm and even the 7ft + the Lowell and have a low-profile stand. (Note, I only do that when I can tape the stand to something, such as leaning it against the SBD).
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 07:11:57 AM »
I have a few standard mic stands that I have hacked down for lower profile.  Similar to the picture below.

Then there is also this thread I started awhile back.... http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=110425.msg1474798#msg1474798

GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics:
Schoeps: CMC6 x 4, CMC1K x 2, KC 5G x 2, MK4,MK4V,MK41,MK21,MK22,MK8 x 2
Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+
Telefunken: TF-11 x 2, ELA M 260 x 4, M960FS x 2, TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2, M60,TK60 x2
AKG: c426b, AKG c34, nBob Actives>PFA x4, CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2
AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres:
Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs:
Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 09:57:18 AM »
I like and used what Ted has posted; and I added to my kit, varying lengths of all thread rod, in 3/8-16 thread; lengths between 1' and 4'.  I covered the rod in heat shrink, so it doesn't look so crude.  I peened a female 3/8-16 ferrule connector on one end, so that I can screw it onto the 5/8-28->3/8-16 mic stand adaptors.  Overall, they make a nice small footprint.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 10:01:28 AM by m0k3 »

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 09:57:44 AM »
Sorry I can't provide a link but I bought some short (2'-3') light stands off eBay for about $10 ea and in general they have been fine. The only problem I've had is when I have my LSD2 mounted on one and some %^&*& musician kicks it over. Right now I'm working with boundary mics on stage so no stand needed!
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 10:47:37 AM »
Second vote for the Monfrotto 003 backlight base, partly for good stability partly for versatility.  Bought mine as a lightstand with an included 3' single telescopic section, but also use it with various Mok3 inspired heat-shrink covered all-thread rod extension sections, or my own coincident LD mic bar, and it's very stable with heavy LDs on it as long as they aren't up super high.  By using a short threaded stud adapter from a superclamp or equivalent, a Shure-vert will plug directly into it, without any extension for super low-profile mic setup under 9" tall. 

One of the three legs is provided a threaded hole at the foot, which can also be used to attach a stereo mount or single mic.  I drilled and taped the other two legs the same way for small triangular Decca tree-like on stage setups.  That also allowed me to used this base inverted and flown in the air as a triangular mic bar atop an extension a few times, clamped to a stair railing.  Worked out nicely.

Few old photos of non-standard uses of this base-
First two with the custom coincident LD bar mounted directly in it without an extension;
Second two with LDs attached to the end of each leg, and nothing in the center;
last also with the 3 LDs and the Shure-vert in the center.
Wonder if I have a picture of it flown upside-down somewhere..
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline danny3

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 11:38:52 AM »
I have tried a few different models. The Ultimate stand has a pretty heavy round base with a small footprint, but not so good with much off-center weight. I have used a Jam stand, but eventually the threads started stripping (most likely due to my abuse.)
I would never recommend any On Stage products for what we do - I have ruined many.

This is my current favorite : http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?N=10331920&InitialSearch=yes&sts=pi

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 12:28:04 PM »
I like and used what Ted has posted; and I added to my kit, varying lengths of all thread rod, in 3/8-16 thread; lengths between 1' and 4'.  I covered the rod in heat shrink, so it doesn't look so crude.  I peened a female 3/8-16 ferrule connector on one end, so that I can screw it onto the 5/8-28->3/8-16 mic stand adaptors.  Overall, they make a nice small footprint.

? is that a hacked down mic stand--it looks like a regular stand?

? What is the camera looking tripod used for just in front of the projection screen?

mfrench

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 04:43:42 PM »
Its a kick drum stand, with an adaptor to reduce thread pitch. On top of that is the smaller diameter 3/8-16 thread rod. Its just like the one in reply #3.  I'm right at the edge of the stage, on center, but the pic makes it look off center; I'm the stand to the flute players left.
My seat at these shows is to the stage-left wings, on-stage, but obscured by black, dressed in black.  I go to the (usually empty) balcony from there to see the show. I've watched a show or two from the catwalks above the stage as well.

The tripod is a video camera.  They went sort of artsy at this show, and had a bunch of camera angles projected on the screen.  I'm in the balcony taking pictures, so the tripod looks taller than it was.  That angle showed the maestros frontal angle.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 04:47:32 PM by m0k3 »

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 07:03:15 PM »
Thanks.

Does anyone have an opinion on which of these alternatives is the least tippy?  (manfrotto light stand base v. impact light stand base v. cut down folding microphone stand v. kick drum stand?)

mfrench

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 07:04:23 PM »
get a sandbag stage weight bag. throw it on the stand base. that sucker isn't going to budge.

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 07:30:01 PM »
Bogen 3373.  Pull the plastic tips off the legs, hack them so the stand folds up neatly, then epoxy the caps back on.

http://www.amazon.com/Bogen-3373-Section-Light-Retractable/dp/B00009XV2E

It's hard to go wrong with a good sturdy light stand.
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2015, 09:36:52 PM »
Stability is primarily a question of either more weight or a wider leg stance, and secondarily how wobbly the geometry is and how flexible the construction materials are.   Heavy with smaller footprint or lighter with a wide one.  Then it's all about how much weight you need to put up atop the stand and how high you need to go, and if it's centered on the base or not.

That probably all qualifies as obvious and doesn't help much.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2015, 11:05:20 PM »
The reason I asked is it is so difficult to judge one model v. another looking on the internet.  I'm sort of thinking I want to fabricate some carbon fiber tubes for the upright portion  to end up with a stand that is stable, but is the least obtrusive on stage as possible.  The PITA part of the thing to me would be the base itself so the base is the part I would be most interested in buying. 

Offline Cobiwan

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2015, 11:16:16 PM »
I'm loving the comments so far. I'm leaning toward the manfrotto light base and half pole but I'm also wanting a stage stand  or two that can go from like 18" to 36". So I'm torn. Please keep the recommendations coming. Thanks everyone!
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
2 matched pairs of Oktava MK-012 MSP6 with Bill Sitler mod + cardioid, hyper-cardioid, and omni capsules
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Cables:
Gakables XLR, S/PDIF, battery and umbrella, DigiGal AES > S/PDIF, Darktrain hot swap battery

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2015, 11:55:28 PM »
That light stand base acidjack linked, and in my photos above is stable, low, wide, and heavy (the legs are steel).  It a bit over-heavy for my preference, but folds pretty compactly.  It might be appropriate for what you describe because you can put the appropriate diameter of stock tubing directly into it without any kind of threaded connection.  I didn't make that stainless LD vert bar with the intention of using it in combination with that base, it has a 3/8" nut welded to the bottom and a threaded stud at the top, for connection to a normal stand.  The stainless tubing I made it from just happened to fit into the base's socket perfectly and the set-screw knob simple clamps it in place.

Offline bhtoque

• Trade Count: (3)
  • So much music, so little time.
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2015, 11:26:48 PM »
I use a kick drum stand like the one first linked. I've run 2prs of full body mics on a 3ft extension with no tipping problems. Prefer it to a tripod style because it is so much more compact and can be exactly at edge of stage, or right up against raised stage from floor without being a tripping hazard.

I have an Atlas version from Guitar Center that is at least $10 less than the one in the link though.

JAson
MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

Offline Cobiwan

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2015, 01:40:42 AM »
I use a kick drum stand like the one first linked. I've run 2prs of full body mics on a 3ft extension with no tipping problems. Prefer it to a tripod style because it is so much more compact and can be exactly at edge of stage, or right up against raised stage from floor without being a tripping hazard.

I have an Atlas version from Guitar Center that is at least $10 less than the one in the link though.

JAson
I like the way you described its benefits. I think those are excellent points and think I'm gonna go that route. Being able to be at lip seems like a benefit if its stable enough.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 03:44:20 AM by Cobiwan »
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Cables:

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

Offline thunderbolt

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Music est vita!

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2015, 07:35:22 PM »
I'll reiterate the Manfrotto option cited by acidjack, Gutbucket and others. Compact when collapsed and plays well with other Manfrotto gear (I use the same extension poles with these bases and with my SuperClamp set-up).

If weight is no concern, the K&M stands, like the 25950, are pretty compact when folded and absolutely bulletproof on stage.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 5.586 seconds with 45 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com