Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 2)  (Read 187439 times)

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 2)
« Reply #375 on: June 24, 2010, 01:16:59 PM »
sparkey - in other words audiophiles would be able to tell the difference. what is the percentage of audiophiles compared to the entire music listening population? musicians may not even be able to tell the difference if they don't protect their hearing. producers and engineers probably would be able to. i doubt a busybody at a record label would be able to tell the difference. Just because someone has invested loads into their home audio system doesn't even mean they will be able to tell the difference if their ears are not closely listening.

todd - I would HOPE the 722 sounds better considering its $2200 more than the m10.  ;)
I don't know what a psp2 is. sorry.
I believe after seeing multiple new people come to this site, they would be happy if their iphone allowed digital audio recording without a mic input! we're just special kind of people who know what our ears do and don't like. for the sound drift, this only matters if you're syncing more than one recorder. so if you want 7 different sources and don't care about syncing them, it wouldn't make a difference.

If i have $2200 to spend, I would get a pair of mics or maybe two pairs.

Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #376 on: June 24, 2010, 01:41:58 PM »
todd - I would HOPE the 722 sounds better considering its $2200 more than the m10.  ;)

I haven't found always that to be the case in terms of more $ = better sounding. I think too many people on this board have that perception, IMHO.   Spend $5000 on a rig and it automatically puts a $1500 rig to shame? Not always.  I have compared recordings on LMA and some of the lesser expensive rigs sound better to my ears.

Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #377 on: June 24, 2010, 02:16:50 PM »
sparkey - in other words audiophiles would be able to tell the difference.

Audiophile is a charged term, often associated with stuff that many people can't hear, or that just seems completely goofy.  I know a lot of people who would easily hear the difference but would not accept that label.  There's a big difference between "good playback", spending where it counds vs. "audiophile"...

Based on the posts, there are lots of folks on this board who have bought and sold a lot of playback gear over the years..  You might be amazed at what can be heard, and how much better some gear sounds than other gear.   Some people assume amplifiers sound pretty much the same.  I mean, they're just solid state amps, right?   I can recall the eye opening experiences where I found that isn't true at all (oh how my wallet wishes it was), and how it caused me to ignore specs.  Then there was the first time I heard a soundstage that imaged way outside the speakers, something I didn't think was possible... The good news?  The cost of great playback has come down, and we have sites like audiogon.

As Todd said, it is often easy to hear the difference in gear, but it takes a lot more time, and can be difficult to decide, which you prefer.   Especially when you're comparing great sounding sources. I find it takes different types of material, different types of recordings, considerations of listening fatigue, etc.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #378 on: June 24, 2010, 02:19:41 PM »
Sorry Rasta, I wasn't reading your post carefully enough, I thought the discussion was about why the need to sync recordings when they were being mixed together.

On hearing the difference, I agree -- it does take careful, non-trivial listening, not just casual or background listening.  I was responding to the notion that no one could hear the difference between recorders.  I think that is easy enough, but at the same time I recognize that the vast majority of people listening to the "tapes" would be perfectly happy with the recordings made by any of the recorders.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #379 on: June 24, 2010, 02:57:27 PM »
How do the mics (Franken Naks) enter the littlebox? Mini xlr?

Yes
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline listener2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #380 on: June 24, 2010, 04:02:54 PM »
what happens if you leave PIP on, using mics with internal batteries?

I can't say what will happen, but the plug in power should be off when using mics that don't run on plug in power. Leaving it on can't do any good and could do harm.
To answer both ts and add to fmaderjr's answer Yes, you should turn off internal mic power if you use an external battery box or a mic that has its own battery power. It won't do any damage if you left the internal mic power on and used an external power source but what happens is that the two voltages cancel each other across the coupling capacitor used to block the DC voltage component from the AC signal input component.  Usually there is a polarized electrolytic capacitor used in the external battery box circuit (or inside the battery powered mics like you have) and it requires the positive voltage higher on its + lead and negative on the minus lead.  The minus lead of the polarized capacitor is the one that connects to the input of your recorder.  So if you have a plus voltage of 3 volts from your recorder's mic powering on one side of the capacitor, it would basically subtract from the voltage supplied on the + side of the capacitor inside the battery box (or your mic).  This in most cases won't pose a problem and usually is not audible at all.  But it is best to turn off internal mic powering when you use an external battery box or self powered mic.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 11:33:47 PM by listener2 »

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #381 on: June 24, 2010, 07:05:29 PM »
Im using m10 with dpa 4061s and bbox,(mic in pip off)audio is to be used for bluray concert video,bluray spec allows 16bit 48k or 24bit 48k.with this deck will i notice better quality with 24bit?should i record 24bit 96k?what is the point of diminishing returns?

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #382 on: June 26, 2010, 07:33:13 AM »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com