Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Which audioprogram?  (Read 6267 times)

Offline Nielsen81

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Which audioprogram?
« on: March 17, 2016, 02:11:56 PM »
Hi again :)

So I got this Sony PCM-M10 last week, and there was a program included which is "Sound Forge Audio Studio LE".
Now, I haven't tried to use that or any other program like that, but I can see that a lot of people are using either Adobe Audition 3.0 (or a later version) or Audicity.

Should I just go for one of those (can't find Audition though)?

What do you recommend?

Thanks
Glenn
Have you taped a Nirvana show or do you know anyone who has? Then please contact me or go to LiveNirvana.com

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Poohbah!
Re: Which audioprogram?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 02:23:10 PM »
Audacity is free and works well once you get past the learning curve (http://www.audacityteam.org/). If you want to save files as MP3s you will also have to get LAME which is also free. I think Audacity also wants ffmpeg, which again is free. There are also a bunch of free plugins for Audacity. Its just hard to beat all that free!

Adobe Audition is about $20 a month (http://www.adobe.com/products/audition.html) and I've never used it so I can't say how well it works.

--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline opsopcopolis

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 04:13:00 PM »
In my experience, sound forge would be fine for basic show editing.  Has a similar interface to audacity (iirc, been a while).  I use ProTools, but that's because it is my favorite and I use it on a daily basis

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 04:20:59 PM »
what do you want to do/edit?  If simply tracking, cdwav is very easy/intuitive to use.  I then use foobar2000 to add id3 info and format convert if/as necessary.  If you're looking to do more than simply track (normalize/etc.) you'll need more than cdwav

Offline Nielsen81

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 04:58:31 PM »
Simply tracking...As I'm inexperienced, I'll start out with just tracking (no EQ and so on).

I got Traders Little Helper, but that's only for fingerprints ect and not tracking, right? :)
Have you taped a Nirvana show or do you know anyone who has? Then please contact me or go to LiveNirvana.com

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 06:30:18 PM »
Simply tracking...As I'm inexperienced, I'll start out with just tracking (no EQ and so on).

I got Traders Little Helper, but that's only for fingerprints ect and not tracking, right? :)

CDWave is your friend for this task...
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 01:53:01 AM »
I use Wavelab for editing/mastering. If you want free...Audacity works well too, but it's not as good as Wavelab (IMO). Audacity is more than adequate though.

CD Wave for tracking. I think this costs $20. It's well worth $20.

r8brain for converting 24/48 to 16/44.1. I use the free version. Works fine.

Traders Little Helper for converting to FLAC (also can be used to convert to MP3). It's free.

foobar2000 (also free) with the Live Show Tagger (free plugin) for tagging (please tag your files...unless you're not sharing then I don't care).

A Google search will find all of the downloads you need.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2016, 06:12:58 AM »

There are a number of economical choices for your audio needs.  The suggestions that you've received thus far are good ones!

I use and like:

CD Wave for tracking.  It's well worth $20 if that is the cost

iZotope Ozone 7 & iZotope RX 5 - Multiple uses for audio repair & tinkering

Traders Little Helper for converting to FLAC (also can be used to convert to MP3). It's free

Sony Sound Forge Pro 11
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2016, 06:21:52 AM »
Another inexpensive option is Reaper, which is quite good.  There was also an option to download a fully functioning older version of Audition for free a couple of years ago.  Not sure if that is still available, but there is a thread around here.  Personally, I am not a big fan of either Audacity or the light version of Sound Forge they package with the M10...   

[EDIT:  Here is the free Audition thread:  http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=160079.0.  You have to sign up for an Adobe account to sign in, but it does appear to still work.  It's v 3.0.]
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 06:27:48 AM by aaronji »

Offline Nielsen81

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2016, 07:12:53 AM »
Thanks for your answers :)
They are really helpful, so keep 'em coming :)

Aaronji: I only get a 404, when I try to open the page you linked to...

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2016, 07:43:08 AM »
^  The first link in the thread is broken; try the one from kirk97132 in reply #6.  It will ask for your Adobe ID, which you can create if you don't have one.  Then, you get to a page with a bunch of legacy downloads, including Audition, and the registration codes.  These programs are pretty dated, but unless you are a power user, they are probably still fine.  I use this version of Audition pretty regularly.

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2016, 11:26:07 AM »
^ What aaronji said. :)  The free, older version of Audition may be a little dated but it's plenty adequate for my current needs and has more functionality than Audacity.  I first started using the program back when it was still called Cool Edit so I've gotten very comfortable with it. 

Offline Nielsen81

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2016, 02:45:14 PM »
Figured out how to get it...tried the danish "version", but there it wasn't, so found it in english :)

I will try out Audacity (I did earlier today, and it was quite easy) and Audition 3.0.

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2016, 02:57:31 PM »
3 different versions of Audition 3.0? Any idea what's what?

« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 02:59:11 PM by lsd2525 »
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline lsd2525

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2016, 03:18:44 PM »
^ What aaronji said. :)  The free, older version of Audition may be a little dated but it's plenty adequate for my current needs and has more functionality than Audacity.  I first started using the program back when it was still called Cool Edit so I've gotten very comfortable with it.

If this is the same thing as Cool Edit, I want it. I used to run Cool Edit 2000 (I think it as 2000?). I loved it except for one thing: it didn't automatically cut on sector boundaries. But hey, that's why we have CDWav, right?

Anyone know what the difference is between the three files under English on the download page?
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's

Offline Nielsen81

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2016, 03:56:17 PM »
3 different versions of Audition 3.0? Any idea what's what?

I just downloaded all 3...think the program needs all 3 files to be able to be installed, but not sure though :)

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2016, 07:43:00 AM »
I am pretty sure you only need ADBEAudition_ESD1_WWEFGJIS.exe.  The other two are the software and library for Loopology, for creating loops.  There is also a patch to upgrade 3.0 to 3.0.1; I can't remember precisely why this patch is needed, but Adobe says it "improves the overall stability and reliability of the application."  That's here:  http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4237.

Offline lsd2525

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2016, 11:18:22 AM »
I am pretty sure you only need ADBEAudition_ESD1_WWEFGJIS.exe.  The other two are the software and library for Loopology, for creating loops.  There is also a patch to upgrade 3.0 to 3.0.1; I can't remember precisely why this patch is needed, but Adobe says it "improves the overall stability and reliability of the application."  That's here:  http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4237.

Loopology? This would come in handy for Keller Williams shows lol.

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2016, 01:10:00 PM »

^  Once again, everything that aaronji said. ;D  Loopology is an add-on and library of thousands of royalty-free audio music loops.  You likely don't need it unless you plan on becoming the next Skrillex.

If this is the same thing as Cool Edit, I want it. I used to run Cool Edit 2000 (I think it as 2000?). I loved it except for one thing: it didn't automatically cut on sector boundaries. But hey, that's why we have CDWav, right?

Audition will cut on sector boundaries depending on how you set it.  Right-click on the "Time" panel along the bottom and you can choose different frame rates, ie: CD, SMPTE, milliseconds, etc.  The one caveat I've found, and perhaps it's just the way I use it, is that if I change the viewable range of the waveform while I'm saving track markers, it seems to "upset" the frame rate and I'll get sector boundaries.  Not a big deal to me since I always run the resultant files through Trader's Little Helper to double-check, but it had me scratching my head for awhile trying to figure out how/why I was getting errors.

Offline lsd2525

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2016, 09:46:51 AM »
Thanks FCB, that's good info to know....

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.106 seconds with 48 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com