Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edit flac directly or convert to wav?  (Read 3821 times)

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Edit flac directly or convert to wav?
« on: August 18, 2018, 05:10:51 PM »
I've got some cassette masters that were very graciously transferred to flac by Terry Watts.  When I do the final editing of those, should I convert them back to wav first?  Does anyone know if it will make any difference whether I work directly from the flacs or whether I convert to wav and then edit the wavs?
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
Re: Edit flac directly or convert to wav?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 07:05:17 PM »
No difference. Both are of equal quality one just packs the bits tighter.
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 08:45:32 PM »
No difference. Both are of equal quality one just packs the bits tighter.
I agree with this but your software might not. For instance, Protools does not like FLAC files. Audacity likes FLAC just fine. Sound Forge Pro seems fine with them.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 12:31:42 PM »
I discovered Wavelab 9.5 plays well with FLAC.  I can even tell it how hard I want to compress the end file.  I say that it depends on your DAW software.
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline morst

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 12:38:40 PM »
I can even tell it how hard I want to compress the end file.
Unless you are on a really really old machine from the early 2000's, choose the smallest FLAC size. You won't notice much of a processing time difference, and the result file will be more compact (with all the same info encoded.)

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 12:24:17 AM »
I can even tell it how hard I want to compress the end file.
Unless you are on a really really old machine from the early 2000's, choose the smallest FLAC size. You won't notice much of a processing time difference, and the result file will be more compact (with all the same info encoded.)

There is one "taper" on here who insisted his recordings sounded better because he used lower FLAC compression.

My experiece with Soundforge is when I save a FLAC file it converts to WAV.  It must be a setting I haven't found.  I always use the highest FLAC compression.  I notice that the time difference in processing is noticeable on cheap travel laptop but virtually no different when I run it using my server with a fast quad core processor, 32gb of RAM and a fast drive. 

Offline djphrayz

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 08:51:54 PM »
I tried resampling a very large, 2 hr long, flac recently with Sound Forge.  It was unbearably slow, so I converted it to wave and the process was several times faster.  I didn't quantify it, but it seemed more than twice as fast to process.

If your concern is quality, then I think you should take the term 'lossless' at face value.  I believe the primary reason that lossless formats are the only ones adopted by this community is that it doesn't matter how many times you you convert between lossless format and wav format, you won't lose any information, providing no data corruption occurs.

I think the guy that thinks his lower compression level flacs sounded better than higher compression level flacs needs to take the pepsi challenge in a controlled environment.  I think his opinion was colored by his pre-conceived notion.
Mics: AT4031, DPA4061, DPA4099, AKG483, CA-14 cards and omnis
Recorders: MixPre10ii, Zoom F8, Sony PCM-M10
Pre: DPA MMA6000, CA Ugly 2

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2018, 10:33:28 PM »
You have to remember that your NLE software does not natively edit FLAC files.  It converts FLAC to WAV and that is what it edits.  So extra time it takes to "edit" FLAC includes the time for the NLE to uncompress and recompress the file.
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2018, 11:12:28 PM »
I tried resampling a very large, 2 hr long, flac recently with Sound Forge.  It was unbearably slow, so I converted it to wave and the process was several times faster.  I didn't quantify it, but it seemed more than twice as fast to process.

If your concern is quality, then I think you should take the term 'lossless' at face value.  I believe the primary reason that lossless formats are the only ones adopted by this community is that it doesn't matter how many times you you convert between lossless format and wav format, you won't lose any information, providing no data corruption occurs.

I think the guy that thinks his lower compression level flacs sounded better than higher compression level flacs needs to take the pepsi challenge in a controlled environment.  I think his opinion was colored by his pre-conceived notion.

well, he also believes Sonics sound better than Schoeps so he needs more than Pepsi.

Offline morst

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2018, 03:00:37 PM »
You have to remember that your NLE software does not natively edit FLAC files.  It converts FLAC to WAV and that is what it edits.  So extra time it takes to "edit" FLAC includes the time for the NLE to uncompress and recompress the file.
Yes, and also it will most likely allocate temporary (or not?) storage space in order to keep the uncompressed version available.

Myself, I mostly use FLAC compression for final tracked versions of file sets, or when I want to send a large file out over the internet.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2018, 12:19:24 PM »
I save both the raw files and final files as FLACs to save space and for file management consistency.  My editor (Samplitiude) will import FLAC directly, but I typically decompress to WAV first to ease the processing load.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline DATBoy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2018, 03:58:08 PM »
I just FLAC it at Level 8.

Fuck it, I hardly listen to all that stuff all over again. I think it is better to maintain the space this way. Also, I never notice a processing difference too.

Offline down2earthlandscaper

• Gear Collector (Slut/Hoarder) and Multiple-Rig Maniac
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2018, 02:47:15 PM »
In Adobe Audition (2017) there is an "estimated file size" for instance, when saving to wav it will say "estimated file size 2.08GB" but when I select to save as FLAC the "estimated file size" doesn't change from 2.08GB. Seems that a compressed version would be smaller but am I missing a setting or something?
Mics: CA-14(cards & omnis) and CA-11(cards & omnis) ; AT853's(cards, hypers, mini shotguns); Busman BSC-1 (cards, hypers, omnis)
Nakamichi CM300's (CP-1,2,3,4) Nakamichi CM700's (cards, omnis)
Tascam PE-120's (cards, omnis) Countryman B2D
DPA 4061's DPA 4022's; DPA 4080; AKG 480 ck61 and ck63; Naiant AKG Active Cables
Preamps: CA-9100; Naiant Tinybox (12v/48v + PIP 8V); Naiant Littlebox;
DPA MPS6030; Sound Device Mix Pre-D
Decks: Mixpre 10T and 6; Roland R-07; Marantz PMD620; Sony PCM M10; Edirol R-4; Zoom H6; Marantz PMD-661; Sound Devices 722

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.218 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com