Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SoundProfessional CMC-8 (AT caps) MOD  (Read 10784 times)

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re:SoundProfessional CMC-8 (AT caps) MOD
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2004, 09:22:10 PM »
i think i get it now!  I was confused which mics the sample mp3s were from because the mics at the top are the SP mics.

Also, your mod was resoldering mini xlr connectors on so that you can easily switch between phantom and battery power?

Offline hoyt

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://www.the-hoyts.com
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2004, 11:30:18 PM »
they aren't at853s, the SP-CMC-4s are the AT853s (switchable caps)

Ah yes, that's what I meant.  Whatever the hell SP# I have is the switchable cap at853.   :)

--hoyt
dpa4028/4023/4011er > sx-m2d2/ sx-r4+

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2004, 11:50:10 PM »
fuggin SP ;)

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2004, 02:26:23 AM »
i think i get it now!  I was confused which mics the sample mp3s were from because the mics at the top are the SP mics.

Also, your mod was resoldering mini xlr connectors on so that you can easily switch between phantom and battery power?

you're correct.  the mics pictured are from SP and are not mine. i have the real AT853a mics.

the mod was only adding the mini-xlr male/female connection by cutting the original cable.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline save

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • blah blah blah
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2004, 03:03:09 AM »
sorry i missed that post.....interesting stuff.  i have a pair of sp at933's that i run w/ the battery box.  i've always wanted to try and run them w/ a mp-2 or something similar, but was scared it would fry them.  so in order for me to run them w/ a mp-2 i'd need to mod them similar to what u did?  
save

Offline leegeddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2004, 04:14:34 AM »
sorry i missed that post.....interesting stuff.  i have a pair of sp at933's that i run w/ the battery box.  i've always wanted to try and run them w/ a mp-2 or something similar, but was scared it would fry them.  so in order for me to run them w/ a mp-2 i'd need to mod them similar to what u did?  

adding the mini-xlr connection to the mics as shown in the photo and pairing with the power modules (either the AT8533 or the Samson brand) would do the trick.

i think that you'll be very surprised by the overall increase in dynamics and warmth by using phantom power with your MP2.

marc

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2004, 05:22:03 AM »
i'm totally on that train. I'm using a pair of at853s on loan from goose and they really open up the recording over the SP mics I was borrowing before.

Offline mattb

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Yo.
    • Matt's Page
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2004, 12:30:23 AM »
I have those SP 933s (I think - I bought them from SP in '98) so I'd be interested to hear how this turns out. I like them OK but wouldn't mind making them better for not too much money.
AT933s (C/H/O) > AT8531s > UA-5 > H120 (Rockboxed)

Offline deviant

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a
    • RyanAdamsArchive
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2004, 10:54:45 AM »
On a similar subject, and I would appreciate some help. I also have the SP CMC-8(AT943) and run them thru the SP-SPSB-6(bat module) into an M1. From what I've read here, thank you all, I'd like to add phantom power, but I'm unsure about a couple things. SP makes a modified Denecke PS2 to mini and idealy this would be the route I'd like to go. Most if not all the shows I tape have to be stealth. It seems I can get the phantom power from the PS2, but I need to mod my SP CMC-8 to xlr. However, SP makes a female mini to xlr and I'm wondering if this is a good approach or should I mod the mics? There may be times I'd still have to go super stealth and would still need to use my bat module, so I was thinking I could do the same mod as the other thread listed above and could get the mini-xlr to xlr line converters. Am I making sense at all?

Thanks for any help!

Joel

Offline leegeddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2004, 12:15:05 PM »
>>> SP makes a modified Denecke PS2 to mini and idealy this would be the route I'd like to go. Most if not all the shows I tape have to be stealth. It seems I can get the phantom power from the PS2, but I need to mod my SP CMC-8 to xlr.

joel, you're correct. you need to re-balance your connection.  (your stereo mini-plug is unbalanced.) phantom power only works in a balanced (3 wire) connection/circuit.   take a look at the first photo at the start of this thread.  i simply added a mini-XLR Female/Male connection to my buddy's SP mics BEFORE the mini-plug.

>> However, SP makes a female mini to xlr and I'm wondering if this is a good approach or should I mod the mics?

you can not use a miniF > XLR connector to run phantom.

>> There may be times I'd still have to go super stealth and would still need to use my bat module, so I was thinking I could do the same mod as the other thread listed above and could get the mini-xlr to xlr line converters. Am I making sense at all?

your questions make perfect sense.  hope the following will clear it up more:

-each of your mic cable has 5 conductors. 2-yellow, 2-red and 1-shield.
-the 2-yellow are connected to form a single conductor, same for the 2-reds.
-your microphone capsule outputs a balanced signal across the Red and Yellow while ground is shield (thus 3 wires)
-your mini plug unbalances each mic's output by shorting (connecting together) the Yellow and Shield while your signal (hot) is carried along the Red.
-so if you simply use a mini-Female > XLR converter, you're not rebalancing your connection.  re-balance has to be done before your mini-plug (see photo #1).

here's a crude diagram:

-you can not simply rebalance this connection by using a mini-F > XLR adaptor.

if you decide to go with the Deneke PS-2, you'll still need a power module for your mics.  simply think of them as "mic bodies" like the Schoeps CMC6 or Neumann KM100 bodies.  AT makes one (AT8533). someone mentioned the Samson PM4 Phantom Power Adapter from SP.

i use the AT8533 model and don't have any experience with the Samson one.

in regards to the mic cable mod, feel free to PM me.

marc

Offline deviant

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a
    • RyanAdamsArchive
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2004, 12:40:09 PM »
Thank you Marc. SP lists the PS-2 as a 48V Phantom Power Supply. Is it not really and that is why I still need the other power adapters? I guess I'm a little confused then. Maybe SP should be a little clearer.

Joel

Offline leegeddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2004, 02:25:58 PM »
Thank you Marc. SP lists the PS-2 as a 48V Phantom Power Supply. Is it not really and that is why I still need the other power adapters? I guess I'm a little confused then. Maybe SP should be a little clearer.

Joel

the PS-2 is the actual phantom power supply.  in your particular case with the AT capsules, you need to use the phantom power modules as discussed previously.  

marc

Offline hoyt

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://www.the-hoyts.com
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2004, 11:07:27 PM »
I just finished the mod on my at853's from SP.  Haven't taped anything yet, but I powered them on 48 for a while and nothing started smoking.  I didn't even burn anything soldering! :)

--hoyt
dpa4028/4023/4011er > sx-m2d2/ sx-r4+

Offline leegeddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2004, 11:09:37 PM »
I just finished the mod on my at853's from SP.  Haven't taped anything yet, but I powered them on 48 for a while and nothing started smoking.  I didn't even burn anything soldering! :)

--hoyt

+T for not burning down the house :)

marc

Offline mattb

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Yo.
    • Matt's Page
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2004, 12:24:13 AM »
So to do this you need the AT or Beyer power modules AND a source of phantom power, right? The power modules are just like an adaptor and don't actually provide any power, right? Just getting it all straight before spending any money.
AT933s (C/H/O) > AT8531s > UA-5 > H120 (Rockboxed)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com