Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Audix Micros 1290 questions  (Read 2898 times)

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 20 years of the best in apocalyptic gothic metal
Audix Micros 1290 questions
« on: February 04, 2004, 01:52:32 PM »
I've searched this board and others for some definitive answers on these relatively new microphones.  I still have some questions and I'm hoping some of you have the answers.
1. Shockmounts-I have a pair of AT8410a and Shure vert bar, but that seems like overkill for these small mics.  I've seen rigged setups (Sabrasom and Schoeps A20); any others have success?  Are the Audix SMT-MICRO shockmounts suitable for the section, or studio only?  I'd like to be able to configure the mics in all the standard positions, ORTF, XY (90-120), DIN.
2. Capsules-Some early posts mention interchangeability of capsules, but plucks said Audix didn't recommend it.  Has anyone seen capsules available separately?
3. Windscreens-I'd be using the mics outdoors as well as in clubs.  I had a show ruined by wind using the DPA0896 on some card mics, so I'm looking for a screen with the performance of the Shure A81WS that would fit on the Audix.  The diameter looks to be about 1 cm, about half the diameter of most mics.  Any suggestions?
4. Power-I have a p-mod UA-5, so power wouldn't be an issue in open taping situations.  For lower-profile, is an alternately-powered PS-2 the least expensive way to go for longer shows?  These are budget mics, after all. ;)
5. Preamp-Are the mics sensitive enough to go line in from a PS-2 to an M1?  At 14 mV, it sounds like they should be.  Just looking for confirmation from the field.
Thanks for any feedback,
Ragan
Naiant X-X > SP-SPSB-1 > M10
Superlux S502 > Denecke PS-2 > Hosa MIT-435 > M10

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
Re:Audix Micros 1290 questions
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2004, 03:08:55 PM »

i'm sure the audix mircro shockmounts are fine for any occasion.
personaly, i think shockmounts in the field is overkill....
I think youd be hard pressed to hear any noise through the stand over the ambient noise floor of the venue.

the caps do indeed screw off.
nobody offers them individualy, so you' have to ask around the dealers to see what they can do.  i believe i was told that removing the caps voids the warrantee

windscreens...no clue.  I was dissapionted to see that they shipped with nothing!

as for phantom, the least expensive would be to make your own.
plenty of dyi info out there.  otherwise, I think the ps-2 rocks.

preamp, yes...I think that they are sensitive enough to run line in...but I am only regurgitating what Doug Oade said about them as i have not even used mine yet

Offline MATTZS

• Black Sheep Of Taping
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Team Audix!!
    • list
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2004, 03:17:15 PM »
windscreens...no clue.  I was dissapionted to see that they shipped with nothing!

You didn't get wind screens with yours?
mine came with them.
STEALTH = M1290-HC>MIC 2496>MT 24/96
SUPER STEALTH = SP-CMC-8>SP-MT-MIC-PWR
>MT 24/96
also have:
PS-2, AD-20, JB3

Offline mterry

• Trade Count: (10)
    • recordings
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2004, 05:31:28 PM »
i have a PS-2 fer sale!!!
"That's deplorable, unfathomable, improbable!"

"Then we played Davidson, and they wore us out. Davidson controlled us - other than Kentucky - as well as any team all year long"
- Bill Self on PTI (2/28/11)

DPA 2012 > Apogee Mini-Me > Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2004, 02:20:05 AM »
The Audix Micros come with mic clips, but shockmounts are available in the M12xx diameter.  The mics do come with tiny windscreens, so i don't know why yours were missing, Nick.
If you have phantom power, you should be able to run them straight into what ever you'd like, assuming the recording environment is going to compliment your setup.
The capsules are available separately, but again, as it has been said, Audix may not cover the mics if they are still under warranty if you switch out the capsules.  
The mics are quite underrated.  If the M1245s had a slighly better low frequency response, they would be the stealther's pick...and maybe even general all around user picks too!

Phil
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2004, 02:29:38 AM »
hell yeah, I want the 1245s but the low-end isn't as good, gah!

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 20 years of the best in apocalyptic gothic metal
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2004, 07:24:38 PM »
     I've been investigating windscreens, a deal-breaker for my intended use of the micros.  I already have the AT853rx mics which work great for sbd+aud matrixes with my UA-5.  I am not so sure they would be festival-worthy, so I'm looking to upgrade.
     Anyway, the diameter of the AT853 is about 1/2", or 13mm, slightly larger than the micros' 10 mm.  The standard windscreen, the AT8102, stretches to fit snugly, and might be a good all-purpose screen for the Audix M1290.  I have not had my ATs long enough to do any outdoor taping, so I don't know how well the AT8102 reduces wind rumble.
     There are two other windscreens designed for the AT853; the AT8117, and the AT8104A.  The AT8117 is a large, high-density foam windscreen intended for outdoor use.  Never having used it, I can't vouch that it works as intended.
     The AT8104A is a 2-stage, lockable, metal windscreen with foam outer screen.  Looks heavy-duty, but again, no first-hand knowledge of its performance.
     The cost of the AT8102 is about $8, the AT8117 about $10, and the AT8104A is $48, from a known vendor.  Just throwing this out there for you Audix micro owners.  If you're not stealthing with them, maybe a good windscreen would make them suitable for taping at festivals, and the like.

P.S. Nick, if your vendor won't make good on the screens, maybe you could try out the 8117 and see how they work.  If they don't fit, I'll take them off your hands for my ATs.  E-mail me for vendor info.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2004, 05:47:38 PM by Ragan »
Naiant X-X > SP-SPSB-1 > M10
Superlux S502 > Denecke PS-2 > Hosa MIT-435 > M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com