Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: question about setup  (Read 3459 times)

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • They're baaack! ??
question about setup
« on: February 29, 2004, 03:36:42 PM »
Okay...so this is my second time in this bar, but as a newbie, I'm not quite sure what the best setup would be.  I have drawn a shitty map of the bar..so you can see my problem.  first, they require tapers to stay near/next to sound board, this allows me to be a max of 6ft from the wall with my mics.  :-[ There is a ceiling fan Directly above me that is always going at full speed..DOH!  I ran DIN 90 deg/20 cm last night...but could tell that my right mic(pointed towards wall) was getting weird bouncing waves(the levels for that side where EXTREMELY hard to deal with for a newbie)  I ran a matrix...AGP let me patch in.  I tried to run more sbd than mic's...but it just didn't sound as good as more mic than sbd..even with the mic trouble..(i think i just like mic's better)  however, in the second set I ran  aprox. 70/30 sbd over mic to compensate for my inability to get a good mic sound near that damn wall!  first set was reveresed.  I cannot get my mounts to do XY(becuase one ALWAYS points down towards teh ground..how to fix?)  but XY would be pointing exactly the same right..except the left woulda pointed at the wall??  I DID angle my mics to try to split the stacks(and get away from wall) as much as possible, but the only way to get around the wall..would be to angle the stand to the left...and run about a 45 deg angle, anyone ever tried this??  ANY help would be greatly appreciated.  If anyone would like to hear the show, my first MAT, but horrible mic problems, I can upload...I would love ANY and all critisism on the recording also.  Thanx.
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
Re:question about setup
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2004, 04:35:17 PM »
Boy, there's just no great spot if they want to keep you by the board.

Have you explored why they require tapers to run immediately next to the board?  Perhaps engaging in an open, relaxed discussion to understand their policy - during which you offer alternatives that don't conflict with their stated purposes for keeping you by the board - may help them understand your perspective and loosen their fairly strict taper placement.

I'm thinking maybe you could talk them into letting you run at the last middle table.  Set up your stand right next to your chair.  You wouldn't be taking up any usable space - just the table space right next to you, as though you tried to squeeze another chair into the table (i.e. not replacing a chair that's already at the table).  Keep 'em head height or just a hair above if they're concerned about sight lines.

Or maybe run up on the raised platform, using either a clamp and extension bar or your mic stand taped at an angle to a railing to get your mics out and over the middle of the space relative to the stacks.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2004, 05:13:41 PM »
It's more of a bar than a club...the reason they want (the) taper near soundboard is 1. line of site. 2. no stands in heave traffic areas 3. they are closing the bar (for some DUMBASS reason) in a few months, and really just don't give a shit.  It wasnt that bad being next to the board, as i got to try a Matrix. I was just trying to figure out if DIN was best choice or if I shoulda done something else...stright at each stack possibly?  (i know..newb questions)
I did think of a boom poll running about 11ft high and straight out.  But i just don't have the funds to do this, and since they have a raised part(second story) in the very back i don't think they will allow it(line of site) anyway.  

fyi...AGP band and crew are great.  the most personal group(as a whole) that i've ever had the pleasure to hang out with(except possibly Leftover).  The show was great also...but I cannot say enough for the crew/band.  HIGHLY RECOMENDED!!
Auditory
it's magic 

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2004, 08:52:55 AM »
can you ask them to at least turn off the fan directly above you?  that's not really that shitty a map.

jr
we all live downstream.

Offline Swampy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • You Worthless Swampy Fool
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2004, 08:56:27 AM »
that's not really that shitty a map.

hehe ya thats what I was thinking!

Offline BJ

• They're baaack! ??
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2004, 11:54:01 AM »
I did ask about the fan..all the fans in the bar are all on one switch, which controls the on/off, lights, and fan speed.  They did not want to shut them off becuase of the enormous amount of smoke in the little room and the heat from all the bodies.
So...does anyone know of a good boom pole that is fairly cheap?  lol...this keeps getting more and more expensive everytime I go to record!  DOH!  my wife is gonna kill me!  

as far as the map...the lines are straight..yes..but nothing is to scale...it took about 5 minutes for me to make that..thats why i called it shitty....working in archaeology/gis and other stuff...our maps had to be very precise...so this was a shitty map for me...any suggestions on the mics tho?  is it horrible to run the straight at the stacks from 18-20 feet?  40 ft?  is there a page somwhere that has opinions on TONS of different options in different situations?  I know the dpa site that explains XY, DIN, ORTF etc...but i mean situations(outdoors: windy, close, far...indoors:small, close, large, close far, side...etc...I would like a base to start from...so I'm not just experimenting with things I make up and have no clue on.
Auditory
it's magic 

jpschust

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2004, 12:48:48 PM »
if you want a good boom stand that is not too expensive look at the akg stands- they are all metal, very very sturdy.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2004, 05:25:09 PM »
You have a wife???  Ditch her and you'll have more money to spend on that boom arm and a new set of mics and stuff...

Just kidding, get her into it and she'll buy you the boom arm!

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2004, 07:08:38 PM »
sounds kinky

Offline kev B

• Taperssection All-Star
  • mmm, taping!
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2004, 08:36:45 PM »

I vote Razorback is now the dedicated TS.com bar/club/theater/arena plan designer and sketcher  :D  :yahoo:
Oktava MC012 > digi-mod UA-5 > JB3 > SVU-1

Team Philly, Team Oktava, Team SVU-x

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2004, 01:39:42 AM »

I vote Razorback is now the dedicated TS.com bar/club/theater/arena plan designer and sketcher  :D  :yahoo:

haha that deserve's a +T all around..  
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.195 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com