Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: "Beats By Dr Dre" Headphones..?  (Read 40768 times)

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
"Beats By Dr Dre" Headphones..?
« on: April 27, 2011, 12:01:11 PM »
I am increasingly amused by the wizardry of urban marketing that is these "Beats by Dr. Dre" headphones.  Basically every high school kid I see on the subway now, and a bunch of the adults, are wearing these. 

Generally I suspect that a headphone that is branded Monster (who I didn't think even make headphones) and slaps "Dr Dre" on it is going to be a) bass-heavy and b) junk.  Anyone have any different impression?  They are charging pretty serious coin for the "studio" line - http://www.beatsbydre.com/products/Products.aspx?pid=B3808&cat=1 - $349, which is a hell of a lot more than my ATH-M50s and several other good manufacturers' phones. 

Wow, even the crappier on-ear ones they sell are $200.  http://www.beatsbydre.com/products/Products.aspx?pid=B5505&cat=1  No wonder these things are being counterfeited left and right.  If they actually are any good, I wonder who Monster has making/designing them?

Anyway, I just find the whole thing funny.  Maybe I should buy a bunch of M50s or HD280s, paint them red, and call them "Beatz by Lil Wayne" become a millionaire.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline audBall

• Feel brand new about it
Re: "Beats By Dr Dre" Headphones..?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 12:55:46 PM »
At least half of the students I see here at ASU who are listening to their iPods have "Beats" headphones on.  I can only imagine the sales of his headphones for students here alone.

The shear number of people on longboards with full-sized "Beats" (over-the-head) is mind boggling. 

Dudes are bro'ing out like crazy around here. 
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 12:55:59 PM »
Watch any of the really popular music reality shows today (i.e. American Idol) and they're showing the Beats by Dre stuff everywhere.   Good marketing to say the least.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 01:17:13 PM »
"A fool and his money..."

In the same vein, the HP Audio PC... 

T
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 01:19:43 PM by twatts and not wearing pants »
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 01:21:43 PM »
From what I've read in reviews they sound remarkably well.

...that being said, I'm sure there are headphones priced equally that sound either as good or better (and you won't look like a chump).

I personally wouldn't buy headphones without being able to try them out or return them if I don't like them. Trying at the same time is ideal though.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 02:02:17 PM »
Crazy.  Cheaper to buy the Sony 7506!

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 02:16:16 PM »
Reason enough not to buy them:

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 02:22:01 PM »

...that being said, I'm sure there are headphones priced equally that sound either as good or better (and you won't look like a chump).

I personally wouldn't buy headphones without being able to try them out or return them if I don't like them. Trying at the same time is ideal though.

Last week, I A-vs-B'ed their $120 or so priced pair In Ear Monitors against a similar priced pair of Shures and Ultraears (can't remember the models that I checked).  The Beats By Dre lost my personal bake-off quite convincingly.  The low end was ultra loose and mooshy and the high end wasn't all that crisp.  I thought they sounded pretty crappy to be honest.  Can't speak to the more expensive models.  I bought the Shures (SE215) for $100...great balanced sound and real nice fit.  The kicker for me for these over the Ultraears is that the Shures have a higher gauge cable and a right angle jack.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 02:28:29 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline Myco

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 02:51:16 PM »
I think it's a perfect plan if you ask me. The hip-hop, inner-city crowd, and wannabe white suburbanites that they are marketing to are lemmings. Frankly, it's marketing genious. I agree with the previous post that if you went out and marketed these using Lil Wayne or Jay Z you'd have even better sales. The trick is not only do they need a big rap name brand on them, they need to sound crappy and bass heavy because that's how the hip-hop music is produced nowadays. Fuzzed out, auto-tune bullshit overlaid on a computer generated, simplistic beat that even a cracked out, droopy-pants'd, wannabe gangbanger can bob his head to, it's the formula for commercial success today.  ;D
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 03:49:14 PM »

awesome-those cans will look sweet in this year's parade! I want a pair of those-mine are the same model, but red and black (comp'd to me as business swag).
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 03:52:33 PM by macdaddy »
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline Myco

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 03:54:56 PM »

awesome-those cans will look sweet in this year's parade! I want a pair of those-mine are the same model, but red and black (comp'd to me as business swag).

I could put a couple of turds on the ends of a stick, then paint them purple and gold and you'd have the exact same thing, only cheaper.  ;D
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 03:58:03 PM »

Last week, I A-vs-B'ed their $120 or so priced pair In Ear Monitors against a similar priced pair of Shures and Ultraears (can't remember the models that I checked).  The Beats By Dre lost my personal bake-off quite convincingly.  The low end was ultra loose and mooshy and the high end wasn't all that crisp.  I thought they sounded pretty crappy to be honest.  Can't speak to the more expensive models.  I bought the Shures (SE215) for $100...great balanced sound and real nice fit.  The kicker for me for these over the Ultraears is that the Shures have a higher gauge cable and a right angle jack.

I've heard these remarks as well.

As for the reviews, I think someone's shilling.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2011, 12:23:45 AM »
So that's what those are. I've seen many people wearing them on the bus or walking around but never knew what they were. It's kinda weird to see everyone switch from the apple white earbuds to these bright red things in a matter of a few weeks.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 01:01:09 AM »
$349?!!!! I'll take Senn HD650s or AKG 701's any day of the week over these giant pile 'o marketing....

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2011, 08:14:57 AM »
As a headphone dude, I immediately wrote them off for several reasons:

1.  Way over-priced
2.  These things are the equivalent to "man hands" on a woman   :o
3.  I don't believe the positive reviews...seriously, Monster cables made this pos?   

I bet my sony 7506's run circles around them.   It's amusing to watch all the garbage cans people wear on the train when I'm jamming out to my shure se530's.  There's no way those cans are providing any noise blocking/canceling at all on our trains and subways.  Any TS NY'er can testify how loud it can get underground.
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2011, 11:50:25 AM »
As a headphone dude, I immediately wrote them off for several reasons:

1.  Way over-priced
2.  These things are the equivalent to "man hands" on a woman   :o
3.  I don't believe the positive reviews...seriously, Monster cables made this pos?   

I bet my sony 7506's run circles around them.   It's amusing to watch all the garbage cans people wear on the train when I'm jamming out to my shure se530's.  There's no way those cans are providing any noise blocking/canceling at all on our trains and subways.  Any TS NY'er can testify how loud it can get underground.

Exactly.  Further, I can't believe how inconvenient it must be to have to carry around these giant headphones with you all day.  At least the iPod white earbuds, while totally crappy, were very portable. 

And yes, I'd put my Westone 3's or your SE530s up against these ridiculous products any day. 
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline gewwang

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2011, 01:12:23 PM »
http://www.prefixmag.com/news/dr-dre-designing-speaker-systems-for-chrysler/51680/

Now they're putting his "audiophile" technology into cars.

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2011, 01:24:04 PM »
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline George

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2011, 01:28:11 PM »
http://www.prefixmag.com/news/dr-dre-designing-speaker-systems-for-chrysler/51680/

Better sound through Marketing.  We've all seen this shtick before.  It's hilarious how many will buy these turds, man, are they some of the ugliest headphones I've ever seen. 

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2011, 02:42:50 PM »
I've read a bunch of reviews of these things and the headphones are supposed to be quite good.  Haven't read anything about the earbuds, but the headphones are very well-regarded and are supposed to compete well within the price range.  I would never buy a pair because they are $350 and I don't use headphones all that much, but keep an open mind.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline George

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2011, 03:11:56 PM »
^^It's not about being close-minded, its about smelling the bullshit from far away.  For some reason, a lot of people assume a lot of bass somehow is a measureable response to audio quality.  It's not. 

I have a feeling this headphone.com review pretty much summons up the Monster Beats:

" a mediocre headphone, at a insane price
Posted by droido256 from south california on 2010-08-29

Recommend Product: No
Pros: design is nice
Cons: fake bass, shoddy mids, and vocals, horrible scratchy treble, questionable build

I collect headphones, I love headphones, I just couldn't warm up to these, even after giving them a 200 hour burn in. The bass is there its loud and punchy but has a short decay, very faked too. The vocals seem hollow I was very aware these were made of plastic the sound proved it. The treble is simply awful harsh again hollow and often scratchy I even heard some distortion at higher volumes.
The comfort is ok tho they get hot. The headband and earcups seem cheaply made too, my buddy's set broke at the ear cups like a pair of skullcandys. They are loud but they don't handle high spl well at all. I hope dre's venture with HP brings a better product because I wouldn't attach my reputation to these at all. At 300 dollars these are more overpriced than quality. "

url: http://www.headphone.com/product_review.php?icn=9990390001

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2011, 03:23:29 PM »
So anyone around here tried them yet?

Offline George

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2011, 03:49:51 PM »

Nope, and I don't plan on blowing that kind of cash to be disappointed.

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline rjp

• Taperssection Member
  • You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2011, 11:53:11 PM »
$349?!!!! I'll take Senn HD650s or AKG 701's any day of the week over these giant pile 'o marketing....

Frankly, anything from Monster Cable sets off my BS detector. They deserve a lot of blame for instigating the cable scam, in my opinion.

I'll stick with my Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro/80 cans - I love their sound! That being said, they need a bit more power than the typical portable player can provide, even if they are 80-ohm. My Sansa doesn't distort with them when cranked, but they're a bit on the quiet side. A portable amp would make them shine, though. I normally use the 770s with my home rig (E-MU 0404 USB).

If you don't need or want isolation, Grado SR60/SR80/SR225 are good matches for portable players... I usually use my SR60s for portable purposes, since I like to maintain some situational awareness when walking around with music...
Mics: AKG Perception 170, Naiant X-X, Sound Professionals SP-TFB-2
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox
Recorders: Olympus LS-10
Interfaces: Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2011, 07:44:25 AM »
Like i said, I was comp'd a pair from work. They are fine. A bit big. They sound better than I thought a monster product would sound. Fwiw, I only use headphones very sporadically, as in only late at night, and with an eighteen month old daughter, this means practically never. I was shocked, however, when I went in to the apple store and saw what the retail was for these cans. Now if these came in the purple and gold, like kobe's pair, then they would be worth every penny ;) Anyway, these are not the best, they are also not the worst. For me the price was right; if I was buying retail, I might widen the search if three/four hundred was my budget...
-macdaddy ++

mfrench

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2011, 10:30:06 AM »
here are some more ghetto cans, from Snoop:

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2011, 10:34:36 AM »
12%!    thats how you kick start a day! 

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline George

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2011, 10:36:03 AM »
^^

I bet the coloring on those cans take on a whole new approach to boot.

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2011, 12:12:25 PM »

Oh great.  I can't wait to hear one of those fine extra-large-rimmed vehicles driving around my neighborhood...    :crazy:

mfrench

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2011, 12:26:35 PM »

Oh great.  I can't wait to hear one of those fine extra-large-rimmed vehicles driving around my neighborhood...    :crazy:

Do you think they've figured out a way to keep the license plates from doing that ghetto vibrating thing?

Offline DLay

• Taperssection Member
  • If it has to be loud to be good, it isn't
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2011, 07:15:18 PM »
just worked a World Poker Tour event in Miami and couldn't believe the amount of players with these 'beats' headphones on. Though with a 10k buy-in, im not at all surprised by these folk pissing money away. Must be nice ::)
Beyerdynamic MC930 > Sound Devices 702t

stevetoney

« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2011, 07:28:44 PM »
Once sales of the 'Dr Dre' line drops off, they could move to a new marketing angle to sell their crappy headphones.  This would be the 'Heartbeat' line...this model is the 36D.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 07:34:47 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2011, 07:35:26 PM »
I could get behind that.

Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline Wiggler

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2011, 07:36:03 PM »
I see AKG is going with a similar marketing strategy. They now offer a Quincy Jones line including a Kawasaki racing green 701 model.

Offline gewwang

« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2011, 09:03:23 PM »
Here's Monster's $500 Miles Davis tribute earbuds:

http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=5716

Offline gkatz

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2011, 10:54:41 PM »
Here's Monster's $500 Miles Davis tribute earbuds:

http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=5716

lmao they are called "in ear speakers"

Offline kennedy

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Lezzy 🔥👁👁🖊🍻😘😷😍😷
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2011, 11:48:56 PM »
genius.

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2011, 12:30:38 AM »
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2011, 12:27:21 AM »
Once sales of the 'Dr Dre' line drops off, they could move to a new marketing angle to sell their crappy headphones.  This would be the 'Heartbeat' line...this model is the 36D.

Could I try before I buy...... :P
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 08:48:01 PM by OtheroneK »
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

stevetoney

« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2011, 10:06:47 AM »

Bah! 34C tops ;D

That's true Gil. 

The marketing department says for best product life-cycle, you gotta release the lower end products first and work up to the big stuff. 

Model 40DD is being designed right now.  I've been researching the web for design input.

Offline hi and lo

Offline jibooer

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Searching for the perfect jam...
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2011, 10:26:30 PM »
more than an 'ear'ful is a waste fellas... :djsmilie:
Mics: AKG c460b (ck61, ck62, ck63, ck1x, ck3x), NBob Actives, Naiant Actives, ADK A-51TL
Pres: Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2
Cables: GAKables exclusively, AKG MK46, Naiant PFA's
Recorders: Edirol R-09HR, Edirol R-44
CPU for DSP: Toshiba Satellite A660 i7 > audioengineD1
Cans: ATH-50
VINYL: Rega Planar 3 > Rega Brio-R > Wharfedale EVO2-30

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2011, 11:08:46 AM »
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bannon 
Why are you selling?

I sold them because I realized they're horrible especially when I'm training my ear for mixing and picking out various elements within audio.

Truly classic.

Too bad this guy spent his hard earned $300 on those "beats" when he could have had some nice, transparent ATH-M50s for less than half that....  :P

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2011, 11:54:52 AM »
sad sighting:
http://playingforchange.com/episodes/46/Three_Little_Birds

I'm thinking monster and/or dr. dre donated the headphones in exchange to be used in the videos.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline dmonkey

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2011, 02:09:05 PM »
The whole world is wearing them!!  :o
MK4's, KM140's or MC930's >  Tinybox or Aerco MP-2 > R-09, M-10, R-44 (Oade CM) or MixPre-6

Offline George

« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2011, 08:50:16 PM »
The whole world is wearing them!!  :o

and it's quite sad that people are falling for the marketing hype.  I swear, when I see someone wearing a pair I feel like laughing at them.

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2011, 10:47:36 PM »
Ludacris has a pair for sale now, too... Two bills, retail.
-macdaddy ++

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2011, 10:52:58 PM »
i didn't notice this until I watched it the second time but the PFC group uses these headphones with high quality mics like neuman.

Offline tailschao

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2011, 04:07:35 AM »
Not entirely relevant, but I was watching Craig Ferguson a couple of days ago, and they showed a clip from a TV show that an actor on the show was in. It was some spy show, and the actor's character was in the 'spy base' - wearing a pair of Grados. Expensive Mahogany ones. I was like "OMG NO WAI!"

As I say, not strictly relevant, but it made me think of this thread. There is hope yet.

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2011, 06:28:53 PM »
some of the dan patrick crew just recently switched to these from the 7506s. dan patrick still wears his sonys backwards. thats all i got.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2011, 11:32:19 PM »
Ugh.

Uninvited Guest Shoots Two USC Students After Being Accused of Stealing Party Host's Dr. Dre Headphones

Reminds me of when kids would get hassled for their air jordans back in the day....
-macdaddy ++

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2011, 02:47:51 AM »
Reminds me of when kids would get hassled for their air jordans back in the day....

Yup.  Growing up in NY a few decades ago, I remember reading and hearing about kids getting shot for their expensive sneakers and jackets.  I wonder if it's going to become commonplace for these crappy headphones?

Offline Myco

« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2011, 11:14:56 AM »
Ugh.

Uninvited Guest Shoots Two USC Students After Being Accused of Stealing Party Host's Dr. Dre Headphones

Except back then there would just be a fight and you'd get banged up a bit, now you get gunshot wounds or death.

Offline M

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2011, 06:38:42 PM »
Believe it or not violent crime is on the decline, although sensational media is on rise.
Beyer CK930>Naiant TB>M10

Offline Myco

« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2011, 11:28:37 AM »
Anecdotal evidence would say otherwise, but if you say so.   :P

All I know from my experience is that when I was a teen, not one kid got shot at a fight in the city where I grew up, but from 1985 on there have been countless shootings, stabbings, and otherwise deadly fights. Damn their reports, I don't believe them. Data can be skewed any way that you want to present it. Maybe overall in the US it might appear so, but from where I stand, I don't see it.

Offline phanophish

• ImageLume Photography
« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2011, 06:04:07 PM »
I listened to some of the Beats the other day and, while they were not terrible, I found the highs a bit weak and lows somewhat muddy.  I would up with a pair of Sennheiser HD 202 II ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003LPTAYI ) they set me back about $22.  Bass was a little weak but in general they sound great considering their cost, I really expected them to be more expensive.

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline Big Perm

• Trade Count: (67)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Rage, Rest, work a lot, Repeat
« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2011, 09:30:51 PM »
Have the sony 7506's, grado labs (80's I believe) + grado labs in-ear phones.

I also have the Dre Beats..............LOVE EM!
pricey - yes, but sound good to me
a
Mics: Schoeps mk4v| mk41v | mk22 | mk8 & mk5 (m/s)
         Schoeps m222> nt222dc (x2)
         Schoeps cmc 1k (x2)
         Schoeps vst62iu (x2)
         Schoeps KCY 250/5 IG (x2) Schoeps KC 5g (x2)
         DPA 4015c
Pre’s: Sonosax SX-M2D2
         Aeta PSP-3
         E.A.A. PSP-2
Recorder: Sonosax sx-r4+, SD702, Sony m10

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2011, 11:33:05 AM »
Have the sony 7506's, grado labs (80's I believe) + grado labs in-ear phones.

I also have the Dre Beats..............LOVE EM!
pricey - yes, but sound good to me
a

I was going to make a Schoeps/muddy bass joke here, then remembered what rig I run, and decided against  ;D 

In all seriousness, I've never heard them myself.  My main negative impressions of them stem from:

- Others' reports on the sound
- The idiots I see wearing them around
- The build and graphic design on them (cheap plastic/marketing-driven type design)
- The price being up there with the super-HQ brands that have much longer histories in the headphone business than Monster (which has, IIRC, none)
- Marketing tie-in with a washed-up artist/producer who operates in a genre that thrives on boomy bass

Interesting that as an owners of several much nicer pairs of phones than I have (and a bunch of similar mics), that you like them.  That's a new data point, for sure.

Offline George

« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2011, 01:29:05 PM »
I bet my Koss KSC-75's wipe the floor with any models of the Beats line.

and this is coming from a guy who has owned in the neighborhood of 15 headphones in the last decade, including the rare Sennheiser HE60's.

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2011, 02:00:19 AM »
In all seriousness, I've never heard them myself.  My main negative impressions of them stem from:... [snip]

I'm pretty much in agreement with your view of the Beats line but I HAVE had a chance to listen to them.  A few models, in fact, among the cheapest and most expensive they offer.  They weren't the worst cans I've ever listened through, but I feel that with their shortcomings (sloppy bass and shrill highs among other things) they are far too expensive.  Especially when compared to better sounding and more accurate headphones (IMHO) that aren't nearly as pricey.  Like Bose, most of the pricetag is paying for the marketing.  To each his own and all that...

I bet my Koss KSC-75's wipe the floor with any models of the Beats line.

You may be right. ;D  Don't forget the Porta Pro's either!

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2011, 04:21:43 PM »
From my conversations with Georgios, he doesn't seem to care for the portapros. However, I like them since they do gots bass and are very durable plus they fold up nice and small.

I'm sure the dr. dre cans are not completely crappy but I'd rather spend the money on something that has been around and used by millions, not just people who fell for marketing crap.

Offline George

« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2011, 02:26:22 PM »
I always felt portapros are just a bit too thick in the bass department, the midrange seems to lack some clarity as well.  I do love the ksc-75's, hands down best bang for the buck.   I'm consistently blown away at how wonderful they handle everything I throw at them.

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2012, 08:20:18 AM »
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/chad-ochocinco-celebrates-first-super-bowl-extravagant-gift-193820706.html

Chad Ochocinco celebrates first Super Bowl with extravagant gift to teammates
By Maggie Hendricks | Shutdown Corner – Sun, Jan 29, 2012 2:38 PM EST

Beats by Chad (Getty Images)As the New England Patriots make that long, harrowing, three-hour trip from Boston to Indianapolis for the Super Bowl, they can do it in engrossed in their music. That's thanks to a gift from receiver Chad Ochocinco, who is participating in the first Super Bowl in his career.

The Boston Herald reports that Ochocinco dropped around $28,000 on Beats by Dre Headphones for every member of the team. The headphones, widely regarded as the best in the industry, were designed by rapper Dr. Dre. The version Ochocinco picked out for the team produce a "clean, yet forceful sound."

Wes Welker thinks the team needs to tune out distractions:

"The game is the most important thing and all I really look forward to and concentrate on," WR Wes Welker said. "Everything else is just kinda noise. I think the fun part is really arriving there and getting away from everything and really concentrating on the game and the task at hand."

Which makes the gifts perfect, because of their noise-canceling quality.

They are also capable of connecting to each other, meaning that the whole team can be connected and listening to the same song, but Bill Belichick won't be forced to listen to those darn kids' music. The headphones elicited excited tweets from Ochocinco's teammates, who thanked him for his kindness and shared pictures of the gift.

The headphones are the second gift bestowed on the Patriots this week. On Friday, UGGs and its spokesman, Tom Brady, gave the entire team a pair of boots.
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2012, 02:57:31 PM »
The headphones, widely regarded as the best in the industry...

Thanks, eric, I haven't had a good laugh in a while.  They don't quote which "experts" have made this proclamation, do they?

The Patriots will look so good in their UGGs boots and Beatz headphones when they arrive in Indianapolis.  ::)

Offline DLay

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2012, 06:21:33 PM »
Haha not sure what industry theyre talking about here....With Bose and Boston Acoustics close by the Pats these MUST really be great headphones ::)

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2012, 07:10:23 AM »
http://beatsbydre.com/products/Products.aspx?pid=B5799&cat=2

I got a pair of these for my birthday from my younger brother yesterday..  hehe..   well..  They do work pretty well with the iphone (answering calls thru them etc.. clear etc), however I am more surprised by their fidelity..  they sound damn good!  granted, Ive never owned anything "in ear" beyond just a cheap pair of earbuds so what do I know.. 

caveat..  I do own a pair of beyer dt880's and a pair of sony 7506's so I do know a little about headphone sound...
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline Myco

« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2012, 07:57:29 AM »
This is the wrong place to come when you want to try and post things attempting to show that know what you're talking about, when you really don't know what you're talking about.  ;)

http://beatsbydre.com/products/Products.aspx?pid=B5799&cat=2

I got a pair of these for my birthday from my younger brother yesterday..  hehe..   well..  They do work pretty well with the iphone (answering calls thru them etc.. clear etc), however I am more surprised by their fidelity..  they sound damn good!  granted, Ive never owned anything "in ear" beyond just a cheap pair of earbuds so what do I know.. 

caveat..  I do own a pair of beyer dt880's and a pair of sony 7506's so I do know a little about headphone sound...

Offline George

« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2012, 10:04:14 AM »
I really like the red...it goes well for the Bloods street gang....

Sometimes I see these fools on the train, dressed in red head to toe with a pair of beats headphones that are red too...pretty comical. 

I think I'll stick to my $20 Koss KSC-75's...I guarantee they wipe the floor with any beats products.

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2012, 12:11:32 AM »
I really like the red...it goes well for the Bloods street gang....

Sometimes I see these fools on the train, dressed in red head to toe with a pair of beats headphones that are red too...pretty comical. 

I think I'll stick to my $20 Koss KSC-75's...I guarantee they wipe the floor with any beats products.

Nothing says thug/idiot like beats. Wearing these just shows how much you deserve to get robbed

Offline DLay

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2012, 01:38:14 AM »
Nothing says thug/idiot like beats.
Something tells me thats exactly the image they're hoping to project.

Offline twalker

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2012, 10:40:43 PM »
I wish I could get the kids here at the university to understand there are better headphones out there for the same price or even less.  I paid $175 for my Beyer DT770 almost 20 years ago and they are still in use.  Today you can buy them for $199.  But, I guess they aren't cool enough since they don't have that stupid logo on the side or some silly gloss finish.
Classical rig - Mics:  DPA 4006, MH ULN2, Marantz PMD 671, Mac Book Pro

Small rig (under construction) - Neumann 184, PSP, Sony PCM D50

Playback - EAR 534, Spendor 3/5, LAT Axiom

Transfer - Mac mini, Bias Peak XT, MH ULN, Focal monitors

Offline rjp

• Taperssection Member
  • You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
« Reply #71 on: March 29, 2012, 12:09:14 AM »
I wish I could get the kids here at the university to understand there are better headphones out there for the same price or even less.  I paid $175 for my Beyer DT770 almost 20 years ago and they are still in use.  Today you can buy them for $199.  But, I guess they aren't cool enough since they don't have that stupid logo on the side or some silly gloss finish.

B-but... the Beats have BLING! They're what ears CRAVE! ::)  The more I watch how things are going, the more I'm convinced the idiots have won.

Another DT770 fan here... they're comfortable and damn near indestructible - not to mention they sound great.
Mics: AKG Perception 170, Naiant X-X, Sound Professionals SP-TFB-2
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox
Recorders: Olympus LS-10
Interfaces: Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Offline twalker

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #72 on: March 29, 2012, 09:45:07 PM »

;D reminds me of the movie Idiocracy.   Yep, the Beyers are something special.  I just had to order new pads.  I guess app. 15 is a good run for one set of pads. 
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 09:50:31 PM by twalker »
Classical rig - Mics:  DPA 4006, MH ULN2, Marantz PMD 671, Mac Book Pro

Small rig (under construction) - Neumann 184, PSP, Sony PCM D50

Playback - EAR 534, Spendor 3/5, LAT Axiom

Transfer - Mac mini, Bias Peak XT, MH ULN, Focal monitors

Offline kcmule

« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2012, 11:35:36 AM »
Stolen from facebook.  Too funny!

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2012, 12:48:42 PM »
Armani Exchange?  Dude's wearin' thrift store clothes?

Beets by Dre.... ;D

I get a kick out of the article saying the cans were 'designed' by him.....dayum, dude's got multi-talents.... :o

Bah, feh, erp, eh?
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline George

« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2012, 02:21:58 PM »
If he designed them he most likely needs to get his hearing checked. 

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline jlykos

« Reply #76 on: June 14, 2012, 11:18:08 AM »
I just ordered a set of the Monster iSport Immersion earphones for the gym.  This, after my FOURTH set of Westone earphones just broke.  The Westones are incredible, but really, really fragile.  The iSports are allegedly waterproof, have tangle-free cords, and are supposed to stay in your ear.  I'll post a complete report when I receive them.  I have no idea how they will sound; I just wanted something that wouldn't break when working out.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline hi and lo

« Reply #77 on: June 14, 2012, 02:25:13 PM »
I just ordered a set of the Monster iSport Immersion earphones for the gym.  This, after my FOURTH set of Westone earphones just broke.  The Westones are incredible, but really, really fragile.  The iSports are allegedly waterproof, have tangle-free cords, and are supposed to stay in your ear.  I'll post a complete report when I receive them.  I have no idea how they will sound; I just wanted something that wouldn't break when working out.

It happens... they don't make these things very durable, probably so you keep buying new pairs.

I've been a Shure E4c (more recently call the SCL4) user since 2007 and have also had 4 pairs break. Great sound quality, but there is nothing more annoying than when they start to develop a short.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
« Reply #78 on: June 18, 2012, 11:37:48 AM »

I'll be curious how those work for ya.  I don't run in headphones anymore generally, so I haven't had a pair break as recently, but yeah, all the small HQ IEMs seem somewhat fragile.  I would definitely not want to sweat on my Westone 3s.

When I do run with headphones I use the pretty inexpensive Sennheiser sport line.  These appear to be some newer Adidas-branded version, but I like my basic IEM ones. They have an extra stub on the top to hold them in your ear that really helps when running, and I have gotten them soaking wet with sweat with no issues.  http://www.sennheiserusa.com/sport-earphones-earbuds-headphones-sennheiser-adidas_504038

Offline George

« Reply #79 on: June 18, 2012, 11:58:57 AM »

It happens... they don't make these things very durable, probably so you keep buying new pairs.

I've been a Shure E4c (more recently call the SCL4) user since 2007 and have also had 4 pairs break. Great sound quality, but there is nothing more annoying than when they start to develop a short.

I know Shure fixed the breakage problem when they released their new modified line a couple of years ago.  I had four SE530's break on me and then got the newer 535's and I could not get a deep enough seal with them so I sold them off  :(   

I'm now using the imetal 590's and they sound good, but yeah, they feel fragile and I think they're developing a short in the left earpiece...probably from all the sweat when I run on the treadmill   :(

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline jlykos

« Reply #80 on: June 20, 2012, 03:17:36 AM »
I've been listening to the Monster iSport Immersion earphones a lot since I received them and feel like I can make some impressions about their sound, comfort, and fit.  As suspected, the bass and (to a lesser extent, the) treble have been boosted, making the midrange sound more recessed than it actually is.  The thing with these earphones is that the midrange is there, it's just that the bass and treble are boosted so you have to play louder to hear the midrange clearly.  I listen to mostly heavy metal, hip hop, and jazz.  Metal doesn't sound too great on these; it's all guitar treble and bass drums, with the vocals kind of in the background.  Hip hop sounds like it should, just with the bass boosted.  Chopped and screwed music sounds great.  Jazz sounds surprisingly good with good definition of the upright bass and horns.  A problem is that the piano can sound muddy at the lower registers when it is combined with a kick drum.  Otherwise, it's OK.  The bass on these earphones isn't too boomy; it's more of an overabundance which can be distracting because it's so prominent.  It's like Monster could have created a really awesome earphone with good all-around sound, but instead decided to boost the bass and treble for marketing purposes so they could write things like "great bass!" and "awesome clarity!" on the outside of the box because consumers don't know any better.

The most significant issue with these earphones is getting a good fit and seal.  Getting a good seal is trickier with these earphones than any others that I have used and it can take a lot of adjusting to get them to fit properly in your ears.  They come with five sizes of ear tips and ear clips which makes things better, but even when things are sized appropriately, it can still take some work.  Once they are in your ears, they don't come out, but getting them in can be a challenge.  Comfort is so-so.  The ear clips press up against the top of a ridge in your ear so they are fine for an hour or so, but start to hurt after that.  I had them in for a long plane ride from Washington D.C. back to Kiev, Ukraine and the ridge of my ears was hurting when I landed.

Build quality is not the greatest.  They may be waterproof, but they look fragile to me.  I thought that these had the metal construction of other Monster models, but no, it's just metal-colored plastic.  I have no idea about their durability, but they don't look like they can withstand much abuse.  I'll see what happens.  The cord is flat which does a good job of reducing tangles and has a volume control / microphone on it for answering phone calls and such.  Microphonics are definitely present, but given that my past reference are Westones that have virtually no microphonics, I don't know if the Monsters are above or below average in this regard.

Bottom line, these look like they will be a good choice for the gym, but are too colored to serve as a reference and too uncomfortable to be an everyday earphone.  If I'm walking around town running errands, I'll reach for the Westones first.  If I get a couple years out of the Monsters in the gym, I'll be happy with them.

One final note is not to pay anywhere near full retail price for these.  Retail price is $180 for the set; I paid $130 at Amazon and that was the lowest price.  At $180, it's a total ripoff; at $130, it's still a ripoff, but I don't feel like giving Westone any more money for earphones that break quickly.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
« Reply #81 on: June 20, 2012, 10:23:26 AM »
^^ Thanks for the writeup.  Yes, it's pretty clear who Monster's core customer is, and it's hip-hop people.  I feel like it has always been sort of the "audiophile brand" for the masses, in a way.  Those sound intriguing as an option for less than Westone 3s or Shure 535s.

Is it just me, or is the Beats thing dying down a bit?  For awhile every thug on the subway had them on, and now I feel like it's tapered off a good bit. I don't know if (a) they broke them all (build looks pretty bad), (b) they got tired of getting mugged for them, (c) they realized they sounded like crap (unlikely) or (d) my imagination. Or maybe Dre not being involved hurt that marketing aspect of it. But I haven't really seen anything take their place; I just feel like they're less ubiquitous than 6-12 months ago.

Offline George

« Reply #82 on: June 20, 2012, 11:16:59 AM »
Agreed!  Thanks for the nice write up!  Pretty much in line with what most people expect from them.

Acidjack, I continue to see them all the time, unfortunately.  They do stand out to be mugged, especially since they've gotten so much press.  I seriously doubt anyone would think the 535's would be as pricey as they are.

Ya know what I'd really like to see, an affordable ~$50 iem for runners to block out sweat and stay in your ears.  I just had a pair of iMetal Maximo 590's bite the dust while I was running on the treadmill last night.  Sucks too since they sounded pretty darn good.  I contacted Maximo for a warranty repair, if possible.

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline jlykos

« Reply #83 on: June 27, 2012, 03:05:57 AM »
Update for the Monster iSport Immersion earphones.  I went jogging in them twice and the piece that has the volume control and pause button suffered water damage and does not work anymore.  Worse, it now controls my iPod whenever it is plugged in and sets it to voice control and pauses the music randomly around every 30 seconds.  This, for supposedly "waterproof" earphones.  I'm getting a refund through Amazon.  Pure garbage.

Offline George

« Reply #84 on: June 27, 2012, 08:07:49 AM »
Thanks for the update.  Amusingly, my iMetal 590's started working again  8)

I would still love to find a solid iem for running that blocks out sweat and they stay in place.  Nothing is worse than having to pull out your iem's to dry them and then dry your ear canals while running on the treadmill...

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline jlykos

« Reply #85 on: June 27, 2012, 09:02:15 AM »
Thanks for the update.  Amusingly, my iMetal 590's started working again  8)

I would still love to find a solid iem for running that blocks out sweat and they stay in place.  Nothing is worse than having to pull out your iem's to dry them and then dry your ear canals while running on the treadmill...

That's exactly what I am looking for as well and I can't find one anywhere.  I have heard mixed to poor reviews of the Sennheiser / Addidas 680 series which is why I went with Monster in the first place.  I used Koss KSC75 over-ear headphones but they started squeaking to a distracting amount and only lasted a few months before an earpiece would invariably cut out.  Westones can't handle the gym.  I have heard mixed things about Yurbuds and Meelectronics earphones.  Polk has a new line of sport headphones, but I don't feel like spending $100 to find out that they don't work.

I'm getting a set of my Westone UM1 fixed and I just bought an "earphone saver" case which is basically a big silica gel pad on the bottom of a film canister.  I'm going to try storing my UM1s in there to see if it sucks the moisture out of the earphones and can preserve them for a while.  Maybe it will work, maybe not, but it's all that I have to go on right now.

Offline George

« Reply #86 on: June 27, 2012, 03:41:37 PM »

The Meelectronics...meh...I have the A151's.  They sound underwhelming for the most part. Running with them was HELL.  Lots of microphonics.

I was also looking at those Sennheiser/Adidas 680's and some of the reviews about them really being earbuds and not iem's turned me off immediately.  I took at them in their packaging at J&R and yeah, they certainly are earbuds.  It's beyond me why not a single IEM manufacturer has come out with something to fill in the void yet.   :(

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline jlykos

« Reply #87 on: July 06, 2012, 05:16:50 AM »
Got tired of listening to the awful Ukrainian pop music that they play in the gym around here so went out and bought a pair of Koss Sportapro headphones that they sell locally (and I'm sure they do in the U.S. as well).  So far so good.  They are folding headphones and allegedly have the same drivers as the Koss Portapro headphones.  The main difference between the two is that the Portapros can be work behind the head and clamp down on your ears a bit more so they don't fall off.  The system is working so far.  I don't like wearing them behind my head because the pads clamp on the sides of my head too much, but they are working fine on top of my head and have never fallen off or even moved during a workout (treadmill run and weight lifting).

Sound is dark with an emphasized bass, recessed midrange, and not as much high end as I like.  If I had them for every day headphones, I would be kind of disappointed, but for something that will get beat up in the gym, I'm perfectly fine with them.  The best part is that they cost $20 and have a lifetime warranty so if something happens to them, I send them back to Koss and they send me a new set.

No, they don't sound as good as Westones or even Monsters, but at $80 less than Westones and $110 less than Monsters, they have lasted twice as long as either of them in the gym thus far (a week and a half) and sound perfectly acceptable when I'm working out.  And if they crap out, I send them in and I get a new set.  I don't have a problem with this system.

Offline George

« Reply #88 on: July 18, 2012, 08:15:59 AM »
If only Koss would be able to emulate the sound of the KSC-75's into a sports iem model.  I would be drooling majorly.

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline Chrisedge

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #89 on: July 18, 2012, 01:20:17 PM »
I've been listening to the Monster iSport Immersion earphones a lot since I received them .... (CUT) ... One final note is not to pay anywhere near full retail price for these.  Retail price is $180 for the set; I paid $130 at Amazon and that was the lowest price.  At $180, it's a total ripoff; at $130, it's still a ripoff, but I don't feel like giving Westone any more money for earphones that break quickly.

Wow, I own two pairs of Beats (I work in the industry and got them for free) Studios and Pro line, but would never pay those prices nor the above for that quality.

No love for Etymotic IEM's? I have the HF3 model (List around $180 but discounted to $129 or so on Amazon) and they are fantasic.
Audio: Sound Professionals SP-CMC-10 (AT933s) or Church Audio CA-14 (Omni & Cards) Mics >
Sound Professionals Battery Box SP-SPSB-1, SP-SPSB-10 or Church Audio Preamp CA9200 >
Sony PCM-A10, Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2d Recorders
Video: Panasonic DCM-ZS100 & GoPro 7 Black

Offline George

« Reply #90 on: July 18, 2012, 01:34:24 PM »
I've been listening to the Monster iSport Immersion earphones a lot since I received them .... (CUT) ... One final note is not to pay anywhere near full retail price for these.  Retail price is $180 for the set; I paid $130 at Amazon and that was the lowest price.  At $180, it's a total ripoff; at $130, it's still a ripoff, but I don't feel like giving Westone any more money for earphones that break quickly.

No love for Etymotic IEM's? I have the HF3 model (List around $180 but discounted to $129 or so on Amazon) and they are fantasic.

Can I run with them?  I sweat like a beast...literally like a waterfall off of my head.

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline Chrisedge

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #91 on: July 19, 2012, 01:26:55 AM »

Can I run with them?  I sweat like a beast...literally like a waterfall off of my head.

I have the sponge type tips on mine as they fit the best and block out the noise. Plus you can get custom molded tips for them if you want. Not sure about sweat but Monster developed their headphones to replace Beats (since their partnership broke up) so I would expect a overpriced POSSIBLY decent headphones, not something great.
Audio: Sound Professionals SP-CMC-10 (AT933s) or Church Audio CA-14 (Omni & Cards) Mics >
Sound Professionals Battery Box SP-SPSB-1, SP-SPSB-10 or Church Audio Preamp CA9200 >
Sony PCM-A10, Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2d Recorders
Video: Panasonic DCM-ZS100 & GoPro 7 Black

Offline jlykos

« Reply #92 on: July 19, 2012, 05:59:26 AM »
If only Koss would be able to emulate the sound of the KSC-75's into a sports iem model.  I would be drooling majorly.

These Koss SportaPros that I have been wearing and in which I am exercising are basically KSC-75 drivers with a headband.  Not IEM, but they are working fine so far.  They don't move around on my head and I have been sweating like crazy with them on and they have not failed.

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #93 on: October 13, 2012, 09:54:39 PM »
By the way, Shure has dealt with the cord problem on its IEMs.  I, too, have a couple pair of stiffened, shorted-out E4s.  But now the SE series has the drivers snap on to the end of the cord--not hard-wired any more, so when the cord wears out you can snap the drivers onto a replacement.

Offline Phil Zone

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #94 on: June 07, 2013, 10:42:25 AM »
They are over priced and not that nice.
Microphones: AKG 460B, 480B, Naiant Actives,CK1,CK61,CK62,CK63, CK69, Busman BSC-1, CA-14
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: Zoom F6, Tascam DR-05

LMA Shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Cam%20Keough%22&sort=-date

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 1.042 seconds with 123 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com