Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: So crazy it just might work...  (Read 7699 times)

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
So crazy it just might work...
« on: June 07, 2018, 11:58:03 AM »
Some very chatty shows lately. Got me thinking, why not bring a wireless lav mic or 2 to open shows, mic up some of the more vocal fans and record.

In post, use that track to differentially remove their 'narration' and clapping from the recording.

Would the lav recording have too much music/desired sound on it?
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: So crazy it just might work...
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 05:31:27 PM »
It might work a little, but the social aspect of actually pinning a mic on the most obnoxious crowd members is really odd. You might have better effects with fake mics, if they make the folks self-conscious!? "Hi there, you have a history of being one of the most talky crowd members, so I'd like to capture everything you say so I can subtract it later!"

Heh heh, we'll see how that works.

From a tech perspective, you're likely to have some crazy time smear as these folks walk around the venue. It would be very difficult to remove the music from their tracks enough that you could add their tracks back inverted.

Fascinating notion. With enough computer power and spot mics, it might be possible!?
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline Limit35

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 01:07:53 AM »
It might work a little, but the social aspect of actually pinning a mic on the most obnoxious crowd members is really odd. You might have better effects with fake mics, if they make the folks self-conscious!? "Hi there, you have a history of being one of the most talky crowd members, so I'd like to capture everything you say so I can subtract it later!"

I actually thought of fake mics a couple weeks ago. I had really aggressive talkers under my stand which I setup for the first time in the back of this small room I frequent. These people had the balls to get in heated debates under my mics with 80% of the floor clear of people, the crowd was only under my mics. I have never seen that before. This was multiple groups of people not 1 or 2 couples. I joked about buying some complete crap mics as a decoy with a beater stand I have off by itself as conversation chum. Afterwards, I realized it may just work.

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
    • My LMA collection
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 10:19:56 AM »
I let most everything slide, but if people are talking non-stop I ask them to go to the bar to talk and I do that whether I am recording or not.
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline fanofjam

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 12:33:12 PM »
I'm gonna make a sign and put it on my stand. 

'FREE DUCT TAPE'

...the fine print stipulation is that it's used on someone else's mouth.  I mean, duct tape has a million uses, right?

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 12:36:00 PM »
I let most everything slide, but if people are talking non-stop I ask them to go to the bar to talk and I do that whether I am recording or not.

My wife is excellent at that — I need to learn how to do it myself in a way that is calm and not snide. (My kneejerk reaction is to say something like "Can you speak up? I can almost hear the music over your conversation," which isn't helpful.)

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 01:05:12 PM »
... but the social aspect of actually pinning a mic on the most obnoxious crowd members is really odd.

I was imagining something like "You're clearly a passionate fan, would you be up for a running commentary? Sort of like a director's cut voice over..." :)
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Offline nak700s

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 01:51:35 PM »

My wife is excellent at that — I need to learn how to do it myself in a way that is calm and not snide. (My kneejerk reaction is to say something like "Can you speak up? I can almost hear the music over your conversation," which isn't helpful.)

My sarcasm usually screws me in the end, so I just try and stick with dirty looks.  I will, however, have a conversation with my immediate neighbors before the show starts, saying things like... "I'm glad I'm next to you, you look like a normal person who's here to listen to the music and not scream and clap in my ear and talk through the show."  I try to get a conversation started about how some people ruin the show for others around them by talking, whistling, screaming, over clapping, etc., instead of actually listening to the music that we just paid way too much money to hear live.  Depending on how things are working out, and if they seem cool enough, I'll tip my hand and tell them I'm recording it (assuming it's a stealth show), and if the crowd is quiet around me, then I'll post the show so everyone can listen to it again as much as they want...but wouldn't bother with it if I feel there's excessive crowd noise.  This essentially puts it on them to be cool or assholes.  I've also said to people when I'm open taping, "I hope you're not saying anything that you don't want the entire world to hear, because you're all over this recording."  That often makes them think for a second, and they'll often walk away.

Another idea, which plays off of what the OP said, is to use a second rig of just a small deck and a pair of omni's, a little lower and designed to pick up the crowd (diversions).  Introduce yourself and get names as well as covertly snapping a photo or two.  Post that version of the show, thanking the people by name for ruining the recording and supplying the photos to essentially out the noisy people.  Those recordings would make the rounds and it just might aid in curtailing crowd noise around our mics in the future.
Normal: Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD 744T (or) Sony PCM-M10
Normal: Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD 744T
Fun times: 3 Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD744T + 2 Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD744T
Stealth: CA-14c >> CA 9200 >> Edirol R-09HR
Ultra stealth: AudioReality >> AudioReality battery box >> Edirol R-09HR
Simple & Sweet!

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2018, 02:36:16 PM »
I think a taller mic stand is what you really need.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
    • My LMA collection
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2018, 02:39:59 PM »
Another idea, which plays off of what the OP said, is to use a second rig of just a small deck and a pair of omni's, a little lower and designed to pick up the crowd (diversions).  Introduce yourself and get names as well as covertly snapping a photo or two.  Post that version of the show, thanking the people by name for ruining the recording and supplying the photos to essentially out the noisy people.  Those recordings would make the rounds and it just might aid in curtailing crowd noise around our mics in the future.

I think doxing the talkers is a bit much, personally.
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline perks

• Trade Count: (31)
    • Recordings uploaded to TTD
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2018, 02:45:16 PM »
Take your camera out and begin filming the talkers. Be over the top and make it obvious that you are filming them. Eventually they will get creeped out and ask you what you are doing. Let them know you plan to post the vid on concertassholes.com and 8 out of 10 times they will walk away from your area to bother other people. Rinse and repeat.
Mics: Schoeps MK5's, Schoeps MK41's, AT853's (C,SC,H,O), DPA 4061's
Preamps/converters: Schoeps VMS52UB (x2), Nbox (x2), E.A.A. PSP-2 (x2) Grace Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2, DPA MMA6000, Naiant Tinybox v1.5, Naiant PiPsqueak, Church Ugly, Apogee Mini-Me, Benchmark AD2k+
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Edirol R-05, Sony PCM-M10 (x2), Tascam DR-07, Marantz PMD-661, Sound Devices Mixpre-3

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2018, 03:07:44 PM »

I think doxing the talkers is a bit much, personally.

Nah..."don't do the crime if you can't do the time"
If it works, and I get a good recording, it's worth it to me.
Fun times: 3 Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD744T + 2 Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD744T
Simple & Sweet!

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2018, 03:09:28 PM »
Take your camera out and begin filming the talkers. Be over the top and make it obvious that you are filming them. Eventually they will get creeped out and ask you what you are doing. Let them know you plan to post the vid on concertassholes.com and 8 out of 10 times they will walk away from your area to bother other people. Rinse and repeat.

Hahahahahahaha!!!  This is hysterical.  Have you done this?  I wonder if they'd get violent and go for the camera?  I Always have a camera with me :-)
Simple & Sweet!

Offline ycoop

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
Mics: Avantone CK-1s, AT853 c+o
Pres: CA9100
Recorders: DR-60d mkII, DR-2d

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2018, 05:28:44 PM »

That domain is available.  You might be on to something Perks. 

When my son was taping shows at the age of 13 he had an airbrushed tapers hat that said STFU I'm Taping.  There is a picture of it posted on TS somewhere.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 05:30:41 PM by daspyknows »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.106 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com