Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-70D - modification discussion  (Read 76910 times)

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Tascam DR-70D - modification discussion
« Reply #120 on: May 14, 2017, 12:37:48 PM »
Here you go:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=181808.msg0#new

Terrific deal! (No affiliation.)

it would be nice... if i were an american...  :shrug:

in brazil US$ to BR$ is 3.5x the value, plus 60% to 100% import taxes (over the price with shipping), so in the end will cost a kidney. i can only buy locally.  :-[

I sympathize with your problem. Our Canadian dollar is unconscious at the bottom of the swimming pool. In my case, it's making a new SD MixPre-6 out of reach.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #121 on: May 15, 2017, 04:42:47 PM »
So, you want to be able to record 4 channels, but then also have 4 independent line outputs?  I have no idea if the modification you're proposing is possible or not.
I don't understand why you'd want to do something like this with the 70D.

cause i want separated audio tracks for easy editing and flexibility. and because events already have a mixer. also i tested a few mixers, and i found them very noisy.

also, one device that do all is better and cheaper than two ;)

i was about to get a behringer umc404hd (usb audio interface, 4 input that have 4 outputs, one for each mic) for this purpose. but a device like the 70D now seems much more complete, just missing this feature ;)

If you want 4 separated audio tracks for editing, you will get that with the DR70d. All you have to do is take out the SD card and put it into a PC tablet or laptop and you will have all the channels ready for editing. Plus that is much quicker than using an analog output.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline Ronmac

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #122 on: May 15, 2017, 04:49:37 PM »
If you want 4 separated audio tracks for editing, you will get that with the DR70d. All you have to do is take out the SD card and put it into a PC tablet or laptop and you will have all the channels ready for editing. Plus that is much quicker than using an analog output.

You also eliminate a stage of D/A conversion by using the information on the card to import the digital file to your DAW.

Online voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #123 on: May 15, 2017, 07:23:58 PM »
So, you want to be able to record 4 channels, but then also have 4 independent line outputs?  I have no idea if the modification you're proposing is possible or not.

cause i want separated audio tracks for easy editing and flexibility. and because events already have a mixer. also i tested a few mixers, and i found them very noisy.

i was about to get a behringer umc404hd (usb audio interface, 4 input that have 4 outputs, one for each mic) for this purpose. but a device like the 70D now seems much more complete, just missing this feature ;)

That was my thinking also.  No need to complicate this any further.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #124 on: May 15, 2017, 08:39:42 PM »

That was my thinking also.  No need to complicate this any further.

My understanding was that the poster wanted the four outputs for a live recording situation, not to edit the recordings afterwards. From his initial post:

"i intent to buy this recorder to record church events.... i was thinking in using as a "in the middle" device, like connecting up to 4 mic's on it, and EACH mic output of the 70D in the mixer, so they can adjust independently each input, and i record "mine" in the middle without messing their audio setup (mics > 70D > mixer line-in for each channel)"

So there's a setup at a church where four mics are being fed into a mixer. The poster wants to put his recorder in-between the mics and the mixer, i.e., use their setup without disturbing it.

"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #125 on: May 16, 2017, 03:57:00 PM »
Why not use a mixer with direct outputs on the channels, and run mics > mixer > direct outs > DR70D

If the mixer doesn't have them, I'd bet that it's easier to modify that, than the DR70D!
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #126 on: May 16, 2017, 05:36:00 PM »
Why not use a mixer with direct outputs on the channels, and run mics > mixer > direct outs > DR70D

If the mixer doesn't have them, I'd bet that it's easier to modify that, than the DR70D!

Or he could make up a set of four splitters from the mics, sending the feed simultaneously to the mixer and the DR70D. Use the phantom power on the mixer only.

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #127 on: May 17, 2017, 12:16:05 AM »
1:1 isolation transformers on each split channel.

This way there is no way for double phantom to reach the mics. House engineers are much more friendly to gear that has no chance of messing with their show/equipment.

http://www.audiopile.net/MST-412-A

Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline malow

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Tascam DR-70D W/mods
« Reply #128 on: May 17, 2017, 03:03:47 AM »
i may not have explained in the best way, but dogmusic got it.

some churches have a great modern mixer, some have a tiny mixer, some not even a "rec out" connector, and some does not even have a mixer or usable sound system (one once had a very very old wooden box with mic's input, a volume knob, and speaker connector. THAT'S IT. nothing else.

so, as even the ancient systems use the standards mic's connectors (XLR or TRS), i realized the only way to guarantee i will be able to get the audio in any church, is to get the audio from the mic's itself.

but, of course, i also need to send the mic's audio "i stole" to the church sound system, so my idea of using the 70D recorder to get individual recordings of each mic (a must for me) and also send each to the church sound system (also send individually)

but, now you guys mentioned mic splitters (something i didn't know existed) looks like another option. i found locally only a few models, not cheap, but is a good option ;)

one thing: as the splitter uses a tranformer(passive ones) this will cause a few dB drops, correct? as any transformer, it have some resistance added directly to the signal, right?

also, second thing: if splitters use a "audio" transformer with 1:1 ratio, its not the same kind used in DirectBox devices (from 150 to 600 ohms)? cause it's way cheaper to get the transformers from DI Boxes....

thanks again guys for the help  :cheers:
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 03:39:09 AM by malow »

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #129 on: May 17, 2017, 06:38:44 AM »

but, of course, i also need to send the mic's audio "i stole" to the church sound system,

This alone makes your idea - just plain ridiculous...you're really going to inject your gear between the sound console and the PA? - not in my Church!

How about getting a good seat and putting up a pair of microphones and hit record?

No offense to the poster - but Im not sure I'd trust your ability to know what outs the mixer has or doesnt have...or if the soundguy might just be shining you on.

Offline malow

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Tascam DR-70D W/mods
« Reply #130 on: May 17, 2017, 01:58:18 PM »
This alone makes your idea - just plain ridiculous...you're really going to inject your gear between the sound console and the PA? - not in my Church!

How about getting a good seat and putting up a pair of microphones and hit record?

No offense to the poster - but Im not sure I'd trust your ability to know what outs the mixer has or doesnt have...or if the soundguy might just be shining you on.
yes, "injecting" is the only way. every church here have a sound system, but there's no "sound guy" in any church. they install and just turn on/off, and nothing else. some equipment looks like 30 yers old. putting "my system" between is not big deal at all ;)

i already use mic's in the speaker on some churches that does not have sound output. but as the audio system quality is HORRIBLE, looks like audio recorded with a walkie-talkie, plus hum and a lot of noise (something like the audio when Hitler opened the Olympics)

no offense taken. but i believe i'm totally justified in my approach. i will do that, just a matter of "how" i will implement ;)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 06:07:40 PM by malow »

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #131 on: May 18, 2017, 04:40:02 PM »
mics >  iso split > two different outputs.

perfect.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline malow

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Tascam DR-70D W/mods
« Reply #132 on: February 02, 2018, 04:12:13 AM »
Finally got my DR-70D today, and im ready to mod it!!!

opened to take a quick look, and luckily there's space for 3 18650 li-ion cells inside, so i can have around 3x the recording time without swapping batteries. (around 10 hours with phantom on, 18 hours without i believe)

the recorder have a 150µA quiescent current, and using the most efficient and low quiescent consumption step-up converter i found adds 140µA to that, so no biggie, as the batteries last 3 times as AA. (will fully self-discharge after a few years i believe)

using the internal battery connection it will not lose the date, and still allow to use external battery packs on micro USB. Also, as i will add a connector to charge internal li-ion batteries, i can just connect more external batteries directly if really needed.

also will try to put RCA connectors instead of the 3,5mm line out.

my original project was to use active di-box circuit to split mics, but after a lot of tinkering, now most events use wireless mics, so i can connect directly on the extra out from the mics receivers, or get audio from the AUX on the mixer or from INSERTS. so my original plan is no more.

later i will post some pics ;)

and thanks to all for the previous help on my knowledge pursuit ;)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 05:13:45 AM by malow »

Offline ButchAlmberg

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #133 on: February 02, 2018, 11:27:06 AM »
Did you say that you are splitting 4 vocal mics?
Line Audio CM-3, CM-4, Lewitt
Sound Devices MixPre-6 II |  Tascam DR-70D

Team Line Audio

Offline malow

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Tascam DR-70D W/mods
« Reply #134 on: February 02, 2018, 11:43:15 AM »
it was my previous project to split mics (dynamics ones) with active direct boxes. (send to mixing board and also to the recorder individually)

not anymore ;)

edit: all done!

space was tight, but all fitted nicely after a bit of sawing ;)

li-ion inside, RCA outputs, connector for charging in the place of "remote" jack, connector for disconnecting the battery in case of need (like if the unit freeze)

will now charge and test how long the batteries will last with Mic + XLR, and later XLR + XLR w/ phantom

internal pics:
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 05:01:49 PM by malow »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.141 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com