Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SR-77 setups  (Read 5889 times)

Offline thoman8r

• Proud member of the reality-based community
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Let's go Pens!
SR-77 setups
« on: December 20, 2003, 02:52:46 PM »
Has anyone here ever run either of these setups

Earthworks SR-77 -> (phantom power supply) -> warm or presence modded UA-5

OR

Earthworks SR-77 -> V3

Right now I'm running SR-77 -> mp-2 -> mod sbm-1 and I'm quite happy with it, but of course I'm never satisfied.

The v3 is a nice piece of equipment but I'm afraid the pre-amp might be a bit bright for these mics.  
The ua-5 is an intriguing choice, but I'm not sure which mod I would prefer.  From reading the descriptions on Oade it soudns like the presence mod is pretty transparents, and will bring the music more up front, which is what I'm looking for.  Can anyone give me some input or point me towards some sample recordings with either of these setups?

Dave

P.S.  I know there are problems with the UA-5 powering ew mics, that's why I put in the extra stage of external phantom power supply.
"No. Don't call me a hero. Do you know who the real heroes are? The guys who wake up every morning and go in their normal jobs and get a distress call from the commissioner and take off their glasses and change into capes and fly around fighting crime. Those are the real heroes."
- Dwight Schrute

DaryanLenz

Re:SR-77 setups
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2003, 03:06:43 PM »
Personally, I think the v3 would be uber bright with the earthworks.   I would go with something transforer based or a mini-me!

D

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2003, 04:09:53 PM »
suggestion:  run the mp2 HOT with the earthworks

people say the mp2 run hot tends to mud things up.  well, with the earthworks, that's a good thing.  try it out

Offline thoman8r

• Let's go Pens!
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2003, 05:10:35 PM »
Not a bad idea Scott.  I used to run the mp-2 hot but never with the sbm-1.  I'll give that a shot.
"No. Don't call me a hero. Do you know who the real heroes are? The guys who wake up every morning and go in their normal jobs and get a distress call from the commissioner and take off their glasses and change into capes and fly around fighting crime. Those are the real heroes."
- Dwight Schrute

Offline InfiniteOhms

• Taperssection Member
    • LMA Uploads
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2003, 08:03:08 PM »
"Earthworks SR-77 -> (phantom power supply) -> warm or presence modded UA-5"

I have'nt listened to enough tapes to have a well formed opion ... but the Ua-5 will provide Phantom power if that sways ya ;)
ADK A-51s LE's > Oade W-mod UA-5 > Zoom H4n Pro if I bother to drag out a full rig. More often just the H4N Pro. My LMA tapes

Offline thoman8r

• Let's go Pens!
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2003, 08:05:01 PM »
"Earthworks SR-77 -> (phantom power supply) -> warm or presence modded UA-5"

I have'nt listened to enough tapes to have a well formed opion ... but the Ua-5 will provide Phantom power if that sways ya ;)

Yeah I know but it has the tendency to get fried by EW mics.  I think they are a bit too power hungry for it.
- Dwight Schrute

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2003, 06:24:33 PM »

Yeah I know but it has the tendency to get fried by EW mics.  I think they are a bit too power hungry for it.

People always talk about the EW SR71 & SR77 mics being power hungry, but I've never really experienced this. In fact, even running 4 EW mics (QTC-1 & SR-77) at the same time off the same ENG mixer I've never thought they drained the power (nothing like the AD2K+ -- boy can that sucker eat some juice).

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2003, 09:43:02 PM »
again, I never had problems running sr71>ua5
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

Offline whitenite

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2004, 06:18:00 PM »

i once ran SR-78s > warm-mod ua-5 and had no problems.  tapes sounded amazing.

Offline thoman8r

• Let's go Pens!
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2004, 03:25:11 PM »

i once ran SR-78s > warm-mod ua-5 and had no problems.  tapes sounded amazing.

Yes but I also know somebody who ran 71s > UA-5 for a year with no problems and then it fried her unit.  It wasn't covered under wauranty either.  Not the kind of chance I want to take, esp. if I was borrowing somebody elses unit.
- Dwight Schrute

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2004, 06:09:58 PM »
ask becky, i'm pretty sure she has 77's, through a w-mod ua-5.  
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline thoman8r

• Let's go Pens!
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2004, 06:26:16 PM »
Really? can you point me to any sample recordings?  I'd love to hear how this sounds...
- Dwight Schrute

Offline whitenite

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2004, 01:58:19 PM »
[quote author=thoman8r
Yes but I also know somebody who ran 71s > UA-5 for a year with no problems and then it fried her unit.  It wasn't covered under wauranty either.  Not the kind of chance I want to take, esp. if I was borrowing somebody elses unit.

i have heard this as well, but it didn't stop me from trying it out for a period of time.  the UA-5 chip allegedly cannot withstand the draw from the EWs, but i have not seen concrete proof that this actually fried the unit over time.  i have used everything from ATs to EWs to AKGs with mine over a period of well over a year.  was very pleased with all combos.  finally replaced it last summer with a V3 :)  if you are that worried, then find another phantom power source like a PS-2 or something comparable.  but i would not shun the unit altogether.

DaryanLenz

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2004, 02:47:33 PM »
Sorry, but this isn't true.  Becky's earthworks clearly fried the circuitry of her warm mod ua-5 (I didn't touch it, no reaLY, i DIDN'T) .  The oade's will fix it, as the part is cheap, but it definately will over time or whenver it decides to fry, like Becky's.  Hit or mis  I would say.

Daryan

Offline pnobles

• Taperssection Member
    • ME !
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2004, 10:19:39 PM »
i know a girl who had her UA-5 fried by the 71's.  
Patrick Nobles
pnobles@udel.edu
http://udel.edu/~pnobles   <- check it out

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.096 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com