Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Out of the Loop Audio-wise  (Read 2569 times)

Offline BlackLab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Out of the Loop Audio-wise
« on: September 07, 2015, 10:04:49 AM »
I am more of a video guy but have always stealth taped audio as well so I have a source to go w/audio
I still use R-09 & CA-11's but really feel an upgrade is in order

Is there really any benefit to upgrading my recorder - my perception has always been its the mics that count. Would like one maybe w/better internals when I use it for other uses

Any mic recommendations for a step up from my Church CA-11's (which I never found to be all that great). Dont want to break the bank as I put my money into the video part of my rig mostly

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: Out of the Loop Audio-wise
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 03:46:46 PM »
No need to upgrade the recorder.

If you don't want to break the bank I'd stick with what you have, otherwise your just going to have a change of mics (IMO).

Some other options for mics to try if you want to do a slight upgrade:

1. Countryman B3
2. Nevaton MCE400

The Nevatons can be hard to find, but sound really nice. B3's are available new, and occasionally used.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline BlackLab

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 04:01:23 PM »
I don't mind upgrading mic, in fact I think I need to. Was reading about B3's and wondered if Sound Professionals  SP-BMC-2's are comparable

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 05:01:28 AM »
I don't mind upgrading mic, in fact I think I need to. Was reading about B3's and wondered if Sound Professionals  SP-BMC-2's are comparable

They cost $69. I would think your CA-11's are probably better and certainly can stand a higher sound pressure level.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 04:32:37 PM »
You don't state whether your CA-11's are the cardioid or omni version.  While I agree with Mike B's suggestions of the Countryman and Nevaton mics, they are omni microphones and might require a change to your usual stealth taping techniques if you're used to cardioid mics.  It's generally "easier" (and cheaper) to make a very good sounding omni than it is to make a very good sounding cardioid microphone, hence the generally more expensive pricing of very good sounding cardioids.  I own sets of the CA-11's and Countryman B3's and have gotten great results while stealthing with both, but they are different tools for different scenarios. 

Or, also as Mike suggested, you stick with what you currently have, as a very noticeable improvement in your audio recordings will likely involve a considerable investment.  My .02. 

Offline BlackLab

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 09:53:03 AM »
they are cards. Didnt realize there was a price difference in configuration ie that cost to make would be significantly different

Offline rhinowing

• SPLRA - Smashing Pumpkins Live Recording Association
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2015, 02:01:36 PM »

They cost $69. I would think your CA-11's are probably better and certainly can stand a higher sound pressure level.
CA-11s will definitely produce a better recording. I do love the sound pros because they are TINY (about the size of pencil erasers) and extremely easy to bodymount
Please contact me if you've ever taped the Smashing Pumpkins or a related group!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com