Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: need help with electronics repair (non-taper content)  (Read 4828 times)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
need help with electronics repair (non-taper content)
« on: March 16, 2011, 06:28:59 PM »
sorry for the off-topic, dunno where else to post misc electronics questions, as this is by far the techiest section of the forum

ok so i have a kerosene shop heater with a bad board. the ignitor went and took a surface mount resistor on the control board with it. The only marking on the resistor is 'DALE R1F'. From what i gather R1F is the resistor series but doesnt tell me the resistance or wattage. This board is like $100 and id like to try to fix it

here is the patent for that board with some schematics and descriptions

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5470223.pdf

see R15 in figure 2A.  Thats the blown resistor its not specifically described in the text (from what i saw) but it does describe the IC1 microprocessor it is connected to as a ST6210. Datasheet might be found here:

http://www.datasheetarchive.com/ST6210-datasheet.html

hopefully someone can help me figure out the size of this resistor, i dont know, other than getting an assortment of resistors and starting with a high wattage high resistance one and swapping them with lower resistance values until it works. Any clues? if i desolder this maybe there is some more size markings on the back?
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
Re: need help with electronics repair (non-taper content)
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 08:03:15 PM »
sorry for the off-topic, dunno where else to post misc electronics questions, as this is by far the techiest section of the forum

ok so i have a kerosene shop heater with a bad board. the ignitor went and took a surface mount resistor on the control board with it. The only marking on the resistor is 'DALE R1F'. From what i gather R1F is the resistor series but doesnt tell me the resistance or wattage. This board is like $100 and id like to try to fix it

here is the patent for that board with some schematics and descriptions

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5470223.pdf

see R15 in figure 2A.  Thats the blown resistor its not specifically described in the text (from what i saw) but it does describe the IC1 microprocessor it is connected to as a ST6210. Datasheet might be found here:

http://www.datasheetarchive.com/ST6210-datasheet.html

hopefully someone can help me figure out the size of this resistor, i dont know, other than getting an assortment of resistors and starting with a high wattage high resistance one and swapping them with lower resistance values until it works. Any clues? if i desolder this maybe there is some more size markings on the back?

Call the company and ask what R15 Is if they wont tell you tell them you will never buy a product from them again.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 10:21:02 PM »
thanks its 5.0 x 2.5 mm so it looks like WSL2010 series if any

how did you conclude the numbers you came up with and this WSL series as a match?

Probably this, a 0.1 ohm 1% current sense resistor, check the size against this datasheet:

http://www.vishay.com/docs/30100/wsl.pdf
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 10:53:48 PM »
well this board is already junk, whats the worst that can happen, i blow the resistor again? so basically i just get any old 0.5W 0.1 ohm surface mount and go for it?

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 08:22:05 AM »
well this board is already junk, whats the worst that can happen, i blow the resistor again? so basically i just get any old 0.5W 0.1 ohm surface mount and go for it?

its pretty rare to blow a resistor for no reason. I would suspect something is causing it to blow... I would suspect that there are other issues besides that resistor. Good luck sounds like John has figured out the right size.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 09:30:24 PM »

its pretty rare to blow a resistor for no reason. I would suspect something is causing it to blow... I would suspect that there are other issues besides that resistor. Good luck sounds like John has figured out the right size.

yes, as i said, "the ignitor went and took a surface mount resistor on the control board with it. ". has since been replaced

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 02:20:31 PM »

yes, as i said, "the ignitor went and took a surface mount resistor on the control board with it. ". has since been replaced
Never mind  :-[

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.114 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com