Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Overloaded recording -- what should I have used ? a battery box / preamp ?  (Read 2991 times)

Offline tbger

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=162351.0

As described here I used CAFS straight into PCM-M10's MIC IN (rec. level 7) on a bassy show and got an overloaded recording whenever there's a load of bass or lots of claps.

Sadly I didn't look at my levels while recording so I couldn't check if lowering them would give normal results (i.e no distortion).

Could it be just the recording level set too high, or would it be this way at any recording level, implying the real problem was the microphones -- which means the only way to get a good sounding recording is to use a preamp or a batterybox with them next time ?

Thanks for any help.

Offline taper666

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
I would not use this mic on a bassy concert anyway as it's omni pattern... you should have received a better result using your CA14 with preamp which also have a very nice bass response... I'm using my omni DPA mics only at acoustic/quiet shows, don't think they sound well at loud and bassy concerts even when using filters or post-equalizinig, but that's a question of personal taste...
Rec:  AKG CK63 - Nbob actives - Naiant Tinybox - Roland R-05
Play: FiiO X3 - Shure SRH1440

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star

As described here I used CAFS straight into PCM-M10's MIC IN (rec. level 7) on a bassy show and got an overloaded recording whenever there's a load of bass or lots of claps.
Sadly I didn't look at my levels while recording so I couldn't check if lowering them would give normal results (i.e no distortion).
You can tell by looking at the files in an editing program. If the peaks go over 0 dB turning down the levels would probably have helped.

Could it be just the recording level set too high, or would it be this way at any recording level, implying the real problem was the microphones -- which means the only way to get a good sounding recording is to use a preamp or a batterybox with them next time ?
Chris does not recommend using any of his mics without a battery box or preamp, although a number of us have reported that CA11's > M10 work out fine. I don't know about CAFS omnis though.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.094 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com