Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Marantz PMD 661 issue- SD card created multiple short files during recording  (Read 3487 times)

Offline Rockinman59

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Hi everyone,

I recorded a show last night with the same Lexar 16gb SD card.  I taped the opener. No problem.  Taped the first set for the headliner. No problem there.  Then the second set I started the recording, occasionally checked that it was still going like normal and it stayed recording but after the show I check the files and expected to see 3 wav files and instead I see 20 files!  The opener and the first were the first 2 files.  No issue there.  But the 3rd file changed over at 1:42 (hour and 42 min) into the 2nd set, then started another file that lasted 22 seconds, then changed over to another file of 4 seconds, then 2 seconds!  then the next files created were 1 second, 1 second again, then another file of 23 seconds, etc

Is it the SD card acting up or the PMD 661?  this has never happened before. I've had it happen one time that a full 2 1/2 hour show got split into 2 files, but 99% of the time it is one complete file.  I have the presets set the same, just checked all the settings. I also reformatted the card the day before and cleared any past files.  I don't get what happened here.

Has anyone ever experienced this with their unit?  I am going to switch to another SD card for tonight's show and see what happens

Thanks for any input.   I'm just glad I have to whole show  Just have paste together all these tiny files to the larger file that ran 1:42 before it went haywire with creating file after file

Tom
AKG460 JW Mods>UA5 (Wmod)>Marantz PMD661

Offline George2

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
The record button was getting bumped and started new files.
Sennheiser 418s>SDMixPre-D>RO9HR
Beyer MC930>Fostex FM3>NagraSD
Couple of Schoeps CMT441 too.

Offline Rockinman59

• Taperssection Member
actually I have caps that I have covering all 3 buttons (stop, pause & record) to prevent the buttons from being depressed accidentally.  I tried another SD card and had no problem last night. I ended up with 3 complete files as it should have been.   Another taper at the show was telling me the card wears out in time and can have issues like that or even miss a 1 second spot of audio.  I've used that card for 3 years now so it's probably normal wear and tear and it's time to replace it.

Thanks

Offline old and in the way

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Do you lock out the deck to prevent accidental  stops starts ? I always lock mine out after I'm sure it's recording .

Offline Rockinman59

• Taperssection Member
I don't use the key lock because it has caused SD card error message.  I know the record button could not have been touched or the stop button because I have bottle caps covering them with tape.  Been doing it this way for a while.  Can't it just be that this SD card is worn out or had some glitch this one time?  I can try it again at another show and see if it still does it, but I'd rather just replace this one with another one

Offline George2

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Your bottle caps wore out.
Sennheiser 418s>SDMixPre-D>RO9HR
Beyer MC930>Fostex FM3>NagraSD
Couple of Schoeps CMT441 too.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
It sounds like your presets may have gotten changed. 2 questions will answer that:
1. Do the files piece together seamlessly?
2. Are the files the same size?

If yes, it is a setting. If no...I'd try a different card.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline Rockinman59

• Taperssection Member
1. The presets are exactly the same as I've always had them. 
2. The files DO paste seamlessly
3. The multiple files after the initial hour and 42 min of Set II are all over the place.  It was 4 sec, then 1 second a few times, 23 second,  then the last file ended up as 12 min after several files splitting in row with seconds on them

By trying a different card, the following 2 nights came out with the normal 3 files (opener, Set 1 and Set 2)

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
Sounds like it was the card. Any reason you do not use the lock switch? It seems better than a home made button cover. Of course we all like what we like, so if it works, why not? ;D
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline Rockinman59

• Taperssection Member
I used the key lock once and it caused SD card error message, so I didn't want to risk it after that so I came up with the idea of covering the stop, pause and records buttons

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
Re: Marantz PMD 661 issue- SD card created multiple short files during recording
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 07:12:39 PM »
I've never had the lock cause any kind of problem. It shouldn't. That makes no sense at all to me.
But it could have been that the mark or track button was getting bumped, which couldn't have happened if it was locked.
once again, lost in all the noise

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.217 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com