Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder for DSLR cameras  (Read 121284 times)

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder for DSLR cameras
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2014, 12:29:27 PM »
Jamos, thank you for the info and photos. Is the gain of the inputs shown in numbers on the display when you move the input knobs? The reason I ask is to get equal input input levels for all four inputs easily. My idea is to use the DR-70D as a lightweight recorder for the Soundfield SPS-200.

Hi - you're welcome for the photos.
I just tested it, and it looks like there is no indication on the display that references the level of the input knobs.  You'd think this is something they could implement in a future firmware version, since it's been well documented that the gain is actually digital gain, not analog.
It looks like your best bet would be to calibrate the knobs with a tone before actually recording.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2014, 09:07:13 PM »
Fwiw on my 60d I have used low and medium about a 25/75 percent split
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline dream

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2014, 09:20:04 PM »
It looks like your best bet would be to calibrate the knobs with a tone before actually recording.

Thank you again. If there is no readout on the display or other possibilities to get easily the same input gain for all channels the DR-70D is out of consideration. While out recording with the SPS200 I must be able to change the levels easily. What a letdown. Otherwise it seems to be a fine recorder.

Offline willndmb

« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2014, 09:33:33 PM »

Thank you again. If there is no readout on the display or other possibilities to get easily the same input gain for all channels the DR-70D is out of consideration. While out recording with the SPS200 I must be able to change the levels easily. What a letdown. Otherwise it seems to be a fine recorder.
there is a max peak reading in number format, bottom right corner area
The meter has has an arrow, which I believe is at -12db (on the 60d it is confirmed -12db)
But you have to just line the meters up by eye if you want them matched
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 09:53:05 PM by willndmb »
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2014, 09:21:45 AM »
if open taping, I'd plug in headphones to check levels and desired balances. 

These little adjustment knobs are not the easiest things to fine tune, IMO.

Offline Life In Rewind

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2014, 09:51:54 AM »
Has anyone experimented with mounting these smaller recorders on their mic stand?

Im thinking something like this might work

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1048124-REG/tether_tools_rs466_rock_solid_camera_platform.html

This recorder seems perfectly suited for this orientation.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2014, 09:53:25 AM »

Damn, that's a deal breaker for me. I lneed to be able to see what gain setting I'm at...
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Cheesecadet

• Trade Count: (21)
  • http://db.etree.org/cheesecadet
« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2014, 10:08:55 AM »

Damn, that's a deal breaker for me. I lneed to be able to see what gain setting I'm at...

I picked one of these units up Chuck.  Should be here in a few days.  The unit does not show numbers but the screen is pretty easy for me to determine levels.  The little black triangle is at -16dB and there are dashes for every dB up to 0.

As noted, there are no dB numbers listed on the screen...but I imagine that could be addressed in a firmware update as mentioned before in this thread.  The pres are better than the DR-680 which used the RC/NJM4580.  The new unit uses the NE5532.

I can give detailed feedback here once I get some testing done.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 10:11:28 AM by Cheesecadet »
AKG 481's, DPA 4061's (Matched), AT ES933's w/ AT853-ELE's (SC/C/O), ECM-19B's, MixPre-3, A10, M10 x 2, Hi Ho Silvers, Various Darktrain & GAKables

Vinyl:
Fluance RT83 Reference > MCS 3230 Receiver > Realistic MC-500's (NOS)

Upcoming:
02/10 J. Dilla
02/14 Wiliie Waldman & The Chocolate Factory
02/15 Gabe & Giz
02/16 GM5
02/28 Grace Potter

Offline Chuck

« Reply #68 on: November 19, 2014, 10:31:00 AM »
My issue is that I need to know what my starting levels are. I keep a record of my starting levels for all the venues and bands I record. Just to give me a good place to start out. It won't work for me if there are no number indications of what gain level I'm at to start.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #69 on: November 19, 2014, 11:06:22 AM »
Maybe what I said is misleading.  I suspect what is displayed on the 70d is very similar to what is displayed on the 60d and the 680.  That being said, I recently tried setting my levels visually on my 60d and then listened on headphones which caused me to make further adjustments with the end product being about what I wanted. 

About the mounting, I don't see mounting any recorder to the top of a mic stand as practical.  What I have found useful is to mount the 60d to a piece of aluminum angle attached to a superclamp that I can position up or down on a light stand used as a microphone stand.  If I need the camera to shoot over people's heads, I put it further up the stand.  If I'm in a spot where I can mount the camera lower where I'm sitting, then I can mount it lower. 

Still experimenting, but I found a cell phone battery case that fits the Ravpower 10400 mah battery I'm using, and will probably velcro it to the aluminum angle beside the 60d. 

The 70d would be more flexible than the 60d in using 4 xlr mics, but anything involving phantom power is probably going to practically require an external battery pack for our purposes.   

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2014, 12:26:48 PM »
Here's a photo of what the screen looks like when meters are going.  It shows the max value, which is constantly changing as the max levels change.
It would be nice if they could improve the metering a bit, but it's certainly useable as is.

Regarding the mounting of the recorder to your stand --
that should be easily done, I would recommend a clamp & whatever 5/8" > 1/4" adapters you need.

As noted, there are no dB numbers listed on the screen...but I imagine that could be addressed in a firmware update as mentioned before in this thread.  The pres are better than the DR-680 which used the RC/NJM4580.  The new unit uses the NE5532.

I can give detailed feedback here once I get some testing done.

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2014, 12:39:18 PM »
No numbers, but it looks like the arrow is -12, with hash marks for -6 and -3 after it.

I'd bet that the engineers decideded that numbers would clutter the low res display.

Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline Chuck

« Reply #72 on: November 19, 2014, 12:40:15 PM »
Hi Jamos: What I'm wondering is if there is any numeric representation of where the knobs are turned up to. For example on the DR-680 there is the meter, but when you are adjusting the levels there is a numeric value associated with every step along the gain knobs range. With that in mind, you can go to a show and know that you can use 21 on the gain pots as a starting place for the levels. There don't appear to be any numbers listed on the chassis around the knobs and since the gain is digital it would be good if you could see that gain step you are at when you use the knobs.

Offline willndmb

« Reply #73 on: November 19, 2014, 02:07:42 PM »
Hi Jamos: What I'm wondering is if there is any numeric representation of where the knobs are turned up to. For example on the DR-680 there is the meter, but when you are adjusting the levels there is a numeric value associated with every step along the gain knobs range. With that in mind, you can go to a show and know that you can use 21 on the gain pots as a starting place for the levels. There don't appear to be any numbers listed on the chassis around the knobs and since the gain is digital it would be good if you could see that gain step you are at when you use the knobs.
i understand an actual number would be good but why not just note that the knob was at (approx) 11 o'clock or whatever,
its going to get you close even though not exact.
i wouldn't say its a reason to bypass purchasing but thats just my opinion.

Offline Cheesecadet

• Trade Count: (21)
  • http://db.etree.org/cheesecadet
« Reply #74 on: November 19, 2014, 02:11:45 PM »
LOW setting - Pot gain range is -21dB to +11dB
HIGH setting - Pot gain range is +19dB to +51dB
HIGH + setting Pot gain range is +52dB to +63dB

That might help you gauge it a little easier Chuck?!?!
AKG 481's, DPA 4061's (Matched), AT ES933's w/ AT853-ELE's (SC/C/O), ECM-19B's, MixPre-3, A10, M10 x 2, Hi Ho Silvers, Various Darktrain & GAKables

Vinyl:
Fluance RT83 Reference > MCS 3230 Receiver > Realistic MC-500's (NOS)

Upcoming:
02/10 J. Dilla
02/14 Wiliie Waldman & The Chocolate Factory
02/15 Gabe & Giz
02/16 GM5
02/28 Grace Potter

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com