Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Naiant IPA  (Read 43292 times)

Offline junkyardt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Naiant IPA
« Reply #210 on: August 11, 2018, 04:05:24 PM »
Also, can anyone tell me what the pre-emphasis would be used for or what it does? I'm super dumb when it comes to all of this.

I didn't understand what pre-emphasis was either when I ordered my IPAs a year ago, so I asked Jon about it via email before ordering. He is good enough about responding to questions via email, but he makes no attempt to explain things at a lower level to people who aren't audio tech-heads, so his answers often just go way over my head anyway. His response about pre-emphasis didn't explain what it was, and was something to the effect of 'if you don't understand what it is, then you don't want to order it'.

Offline checht

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Old and in the Way
« Reply #211 on: August 11, 2018, 06:38:54 PM »
Also, can anyone tell me what the pre-emphasis would be used for or what it does? I'm super dumb when it comes to all of this.

I didn't understand what pre-emphasis was either when I ordered my IPAs a year ago, so I asked Jon about it via email before ordering. He is good enough about responding to questions via email, but he makes no attempt to explain things at a lower level to people who aren't audio tech-heads, so his answers often just go way over my head anyway. His response about pre-emphasis didn't explain what it was, and was something to the effect of 'if you don't understand what it is, then you don't want to order it'.

Not sure if this applies, but in analog recording, certain processes (vinyl, tape) were known to not be flat. Pre emphasis was an attempt to mitigate that by boosting frequencies that weren't reproduced well during recording, then applying the opposite curve to the signal when playing back.

Kinda think that's it, maybe?
Schoeps MSTC64g, KCY 250/0 lg, Shure MV-88
Naiant IPA, PFA 60v (soon!)
Sound Devices MP-3, Tascam DR-2D, Roland R-07, iPad 5g

Online zeus163

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #212 on: August 11, 2018, 06:50:13 PM »
Jon sometimes answers my emails and sometimes he doesn't. So, I thought I'd check in here first.

It looks like there is a variable option that is changeable through a slot or a spindle. While options are nice, I was hoping to just have a one size fits all in-place gain setting for my needs.

One of the reasons I'm asking is that I've read that several members have had some of their recordings with the medium setting on their Tinyboxes ruined. That's one of the reasons I use low on my Tinybox. I just can't remember what the low gain setting was on my Tinybox and Jon didn't write it on the invoice notes.

That's why I'm curious.

It sounds like I wouldn't need the pre-emphasis. Thanks for that.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 06:52:43 PM by zeus163 »
Kangol wearing fool...

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #213 on: August 11, 2018, 09:59:17 PM »
Jon sometimes answers my emails and sometimes he doesn't. So, I thought I'd check in here first.

It looks like there is a variable option that is changeable through a slot or a spindle. While options are nice, I was hoping to just have a one size fits all in-place gain setting for my needs.

One of the reasons I'm asking is that I've read that several members have had some of their recordings with the medium setting on their Tinyboxes ruined. That's one of the reasons I use low on my Tinybox. I just can't remember what the low gain setting was on my Tinybox and Jon didn't write it on the invoice notes.

That's why I'm curious.

It sounds like I wouldn't need the pre-emphasis. Thanks for that.
unless you ordered a specific gain setting, the specs are listed on his site
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Online zeus163

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #214 on: August 11, 2018, 10:58:07 PM »

That's why I'm curious.
unless you ordered a specific gain setting, the specs are listed on his site

Thanks.

I didn't even consider looking under discontinued products on the Naiant site. I don't think I would have altered his gain settings, so it looks like +4, +18 and +32. I also am sporting the 1.5 version according to the dates under his version history.He did convert my Tinybox battery last year to the NiMH and at the same time converted the 4-pin binder input to a TA6M. But that isn't really part of this topic.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 11:02:44 PM by zeus163 »
Kangol wearing fool...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2018 Taperssection.com