Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: can anyone explain?  (Read 3447 times)

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • They're baaack! ??
can anyone explain?
« on: November 14, 2004, 12:58:50 PM »
i was readin on some monitors that I am thinking about and it had this written in the specs, but(being a newb) i have no idea what it really means to me.

are equipped with bi-wire terminals allowing additional system optimisation.
bi-wire terminals?  any help would be greatly appreciated!  thanks in advance
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: can anyone explain?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2004, 01:14:01 PM »
i was readin on some monitors that I am thinking about and it had this written in the specs, but(being a newb) i have no idea what it really means to me.

are equipped with bi-wire terminals allowing additional system optimisation.
bi-wire terminals?  any help would be greatly appreciated!  thanks in advance

found this...

http://www.sonicdesign.se/biwire.html

i bi-wire my b&w.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2004, 01:19:19 PM »
nice read...thanx a ton...i could find nothing....ill be sure to post more questions as they arise!!  ts.com rox...
Auditory
it's magic 

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2004, 02:49:45 PM »
i bi wire everything that is not bi amped.

Offline BJ

• They're baaack! ??
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2004, 04:31:14 PM »
oh god, bi - amped?  now i gotta go read more...im getting so damn lost...not so much on the research, but just exactly wht the basics are...

I am seriously thinking about the 3000es as this would be a HUGE step up from my kenwood(plz dont flame me!!! it was cheap(500$ for surround set) and a xmas gift) and its worked for several years...but now i have a real job...so hoping to move up

speakers...dont know...need more research..but i cant just buy and listen to a shitload..i kinda need to narrow down first...

dvd-a/sacd....still researching(several good decent $ options)

Other s^*#@  ....this is the part that is confusing to me...amps, and all kinds of shit i just dont even know what it is..where it goes, what it does...i read some of these post...they have the name of the thing...so i go look it up...has the tech specs..but dont tell me S#$@* about what it actually does...so im still lost

i need a simple guide that tells me (preferrably graphics  :o )
ps2           --v
dvd-a/sacd --I -->reciever -->speakers
vcr           --^

but there is tons o' other stuff listed....TOO MUCH INFO!  +t's all around for the general conversation on the boards tho....i think i may be getting carpal tunnel from the mouse and all the +t's DOH!
Auditory
it's magic 

jpschust

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2004, 04:49:24 PM »
bi wire- one set of outs into both the speaker's in's
bi amp- pre split into two amps, each amp runs a pair into each pair of the speaker's ins

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2004, 04:54:44 PM »
bi-amped means seperate amps providing power to the tweeter and woofer.

My thought -- keep it simple here and don't worry, for the time being, about biwiring, biamplification, etc.  This will provide a minor, incremental improvement to your system's sound and is better (imho) to consider these tweaks later, after you're used to your system's sound, rather than now.

Instead, I'd focus on choosing speakers that you like the sound of and that are within your budget (assuming you're planning on replacing speakers)  ---- personally, I like my b&w speakers a lot, had my main pair since'86 so I'm a bit biased. I'd recommend hitting a few nice stereo stores with some tunes you like and listening to what they have to offer.  You should be able to get a sense of what you like and don't like pretty quickly

The 3000 es is a great amp and will serve you well -- not sure what kinda tv you're running, but my suggestion is not to worry 'bout running video through the 3000 es, instead, only use it for audio.  Also, you'd want to feed your cd/dvd player into the 3000es digitally and not use the analog connections (the 3000es converts all incoming analog signals to digital, so feeding a dvd to the 3000es via analog inputs has it going d>a>d>a.

In  a nutshell, I'd shoot for buying a player that can play cdr disks, dvd disks (dvd-a if you're interested too, ditto sacd) that can be digitally connected to the 3000es (all should offer this). Your vcr's audio output would plug into the 3000 es too, ditto the audio out from the ps2.  If you can't plug the video outs from all of these into your tv, they can all plug into the 3000es too and the 3000es can feed video to your tv.

The 3000es will work great as an amp for up to 7 speakers (front mains, center, rear side and rear back surround pairs), you should have no NEED for any additional equipment once you settle on a dvd player and speakers :)

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2004, 05:00:16 PM »
Bi-amping isn't really a valid option once you go with the 3000ES family anyway.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

jpschust

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2004, 05:03:21 PM »
Bi-amping isn't really a valid option once you go with the 3000ES family anyway.

qft

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2004, 05:23:11 PM »
maybe not now, but Doug Oade looks to be working to change this :

see: http://www.oade.com/Tapers_Section/Forum/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=101&topic_id=676&mesg_id=676&page=

"For now, I will look at doing a MOD to the Sony STR-DA3000ES for use as a DAC and preamp. Perhaps I will leave the amp in place to use for Home Theater and send the Modified analog outs to my Rowland amps for listening test. I will check it stock for the same application as I think it might be a real sleeper as a preamp. I want to try to hear what the Sony code can do with world class analog support. I am hoping for near Meitner level of signal quality for less than 10K ! "

But this is kinda off topic for the original poster

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2004, 08:35:54 PM »

Curious, what do you use to split/filter the signal before the amps? I know the idea is to have one amp use its power to only amplify low freqs and the other use its power to amplify the mids + treble. That way the amp is putting its full power toward the range it's supposed to be amplifying.
Out of the game … for now?

jpschust

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2004, 08:41:59 PM »

Curious, what do you use to split/filter the signal before the amps? I know the idea is to have one amp use its power to only amplify low freqs and the other use its power to amplify the mids + treble. That way the amp is putting its full power toward the range it's supposed to be amplifying.

when i've done it before i've used an external crossover.  right now, as you've seen, im not biamping as i'm happy with the macintosh sound, though there is a serious consideration of eventually getting some monoblocks for the fronts.

here is everything you wanted to know and more about biamping:

http://sound.westhost.com/bi-amp.htm

Offline BJ

• They're baaack! ??
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2004, 10:56:29 PM »
The 3000 es is a great amp and will serve you well -- not sure what kinda tv you're running, but my suggestion is not to worry 'bout running video through the 3000 es, instead, only use it for audio.  Also, you'd want to feed your cd/dvd player into the 3000es digitally and not use the analog connections (the 3000es converts all incoming analog signals to digital, so feeding a dvd to the 3000es via analog inputs has it going d>a>d>a.

Why not run video?  j/w what the disadvantages of this are?

The 3000es will work great as an amp for up to 7 speakers (front mains, center, rear side and rear back surround pairs), you should have no NEED for any additional equipment once you settle on a dvd player and speakers :)

rear side?  wtf?  i think 5.1 would always be plenty but i saw in Brian Skalindar's post about switching between 2.1 and 5.1...ill go read on that...should be interesting
any good suggestions on what a GOOD set of 5.1 would run?  im thinking range of 250-1000$ as I dont know what is available....like to keep it closer to 250, but if nothing is decent..i can go higher.

maybe not now, but Doug Oade looks to be working to change this :

see: http://www.oade.com/Tapers_Section/Forum/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=101&topic_id=676&mesg_id=676&page=

"For now, I will look at doing a MOD to the Sony STR-DA3000ES for use as a DAC and preamp. Perhaps I will leave the amp in place to use for Home Theater and send the Modified analog outs to my Rowland amps for listening test. I will check it stock for the same application as I think it might be a real sleeper as a preamp. I want to try to hear what the Sony code can do with world class analog support. I am hoping for near Meitner level of signal quality for less than 10K ! "

But this is kinda off topic for the original poster

i have no clue what most of that means..i know what DAC is..and the es is a preamp right?
"send the Modified analog outs to my Rowland amps for listening test"  i thought the reason everone liked the es is becuase it sounded good..why send to rowland amps?(this is the stuff i don't understand i guess)

dont worry about off topic to my post....im reading to learn..so every little new thing helps...

+t to you guys for helping out....(
Auditory
it's magic 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.135 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com